Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heating not working

Options
  • 07-10-2014 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have this silly question but I am unable to turn on the heating in my apartment. This is my first winter in this apartment.

I can't find any lever to turn on the heating. There are white coloured radiators in every room, it's definitely not electric heating. Picture attached.

How do I turn on the heating please? It's freezing tonight.

I have hot water boiler which turn on itself when I turn on warm water tap.

Any suggestion will be appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mr ratbag

there should be a time clock somewhere ? or at least a switch
    usually in the kitchen or the hot press,
    do you have a gas boiler ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Turn the big knob on the left of that rad, should be numbers on it 1-5 turn it up full and wait a few minutes and then check if top of rad is getting warm.

If not then the heating system maybe on a timer in the apartments boilerhouse.

Could be due on later or hasn't been turned on at all as weather was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mr ratbag

just re read your post
    the boiler that heats your water should heat the rads
    check the boiler for a radiator symbol or in the hot press for a red lever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Could you ask any of your neighbours? They more than likely have the same setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Contact the landlord (or ask the agent to). Presumably they should know how it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Yes I have set up the number on 5.

I can't find any timer inside the apartment.
    danjo-xx wrote: »
    Turn the big knob on the left of that rad, should be numbers on it 1-5 turn it up full and wait a few minutes and then check if top of rad is getting warm.

If not then the heating system maybe on a timer in the apartments boilerhouse.

Could be due on later or hasn't been turned on at all as weather was good.

Neighbours are unfortunately gone...
    Could you ask any of your neighbours? They more than likely have the same setup.

There is only yellow level where all the pipe lines are. This yellow level is at on position. No red level there though...

Mr ratbag wrote: »
    just re read your post
    the boiler that heats your water should heat the rads
    check the boiler for a radiator symbol or in the hot press for a red lever

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Neighbours are unfortunately gone...

Take a picture of your boiler

Picture of boiler attached here.

• Advertisement

At the bottom of boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Picture of boiler attached here.
    time clock is on your boiler.the little door on the boiler theres time clock to the right and water pressure gauge to the left( low on presure)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Your boiler is a 'combi' boiler (instant hot water) so opening a tap activates the hot water.

Look at the diagram below, the middle selector switch (under the fray door) will be turned to the right, as that is the 'summer position' giving hot water only, turn it to the left, 'winter position' that will give you heat swell.

Timer is on the right for the heating

324397.pdf

Just saw that there is the door flap and I could see the switches as mentioned in the diagram. It's already on "heating and hot water" setting. I then turned the heater switch to 5. But no luck :(
    DGOBS wrote: »
    Your boiler is a 'combi' boiler (instant hot water) so opening a tap activates the hot water.

Look at the diagram below, the middle selector switch (under the fray door) will be turned to the right, as that is the 'summer position' giving hot water only, turn it to the left, 'winter position' that will give you heat swell.

Timer is on the right for the heating

324397.pdf

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the help. Heating is working now.

Many thanks to DGOBS. I just turned off and then turned on the boiler and it worked! :)

Cheers

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

The user manual is available at this link.......

http://www.vokera.co.uk/trade-professionals/manuals-literature/

Sorry to bother you all again.

The boiler has stopped working today when i came back home from work.

There is RED solid light near temperature meter. I tried to switch it off and on but it doesnt help.

The pressure guage shows zero. What can be done to fix it now please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

At the bottom of boiler.

324359.jpg

Your boiler is too low on water pressure to operate. Do you see the silver pipe over on the right of that pic and black yoke marked filling loop.

You need to top up the water to 1 or 1.5 bar on the gauge by using this filling loop. The black handle marked filling loop should top up the water, open it a tiny bit and watch the pressure gauge till it goes up to 1 or 1.5 bar.

You may have a leak somewhere if pressure keeps falling. Check this later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Pressure vessel needs to be also checked ?

thank you once again Danjo,

I set the pressure to 1 bar on pressure guage. Restarted the system and it worked :D :pac:
    Rooms are on heating again :o

Thank you very much!!!
    danjo-xx wrote: »

Your boiler is too low on water pressure to operate. Do you see the silver pipe over on the right of that pic and black yoke marked filling loop.

You need to top up the water to 1 or 1.5 bar on the gauge by using this filling loop. The black handle marked filling loop should top up the water, open it a tiny bit and watch the pressure gauge till it goes up to 1 or 1.5 bar.

You may have a leak somewhere if pressure keeps falling. Check this later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement