Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combi Boiler + Stove back bolier

Options
  • 21-10-2014 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking at a major renovation job in the new year, space will be an issue so we will be removing an existing oil boiler and hot water tank and replacing with a combi bolier. I will also be putting in a stove in the living room. I had intended to just use a stand-alone stove but have been hearing great things about using back boilers in stoves to heat the radiators upstairs so would like to investigate the options.

So my question, is this something that sounds practical (combi boiler, stove back boiler, no hot water tank)? anyone with observations I'd love to hear your thoughts (the combi boiler is more or less a deal breaker, we have designed out the hotpress space, its a small/medium 3 bed semi).

I have found this online which I think represents what I am proposing!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Sconsey wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am looking at a major renovation job in the new year, space will be an issue so we will be removing an existing oil boiler and hot water tank and replacing with a combi bolier. I will also be putting in a stove in the living room. I had intended to just use a stand-alone stove but have been hearing great things about using back boilers in stoves to heat the radiators upstairs so would like to investigate the options.

So my question, is this something that sounds practical (combi boiler, stove back boiler, no hot water tank)? anyone with observations I'd love to hear your thoughts (the combi boiler is more or less a deal breaker, we have designed out the hotpress space, its a small/medium 3 bed semi).

I have found this online which I think represents what I am proposing!

Thanks
    You'll get it hard to find a decent plumber to do a stove to that sketch. That drawing in my opinion is a bomb waiting to happen. You must have 2, 1"pipes rising from your stove directly to your cylinder with no valves or pumps on either pipe.
    So in my opinion, you should get an ordinary non combi boiler, install your stove and use a cylinder somewhere upstairs if possible. They don't take up that much space

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you are in Dublin, a combi boiler is not permitted by the water regulations. If it works it's fine, but you will be very vulnerable if there is any water pressure problem.

As stated, the arrangement in the picture looks pretty dangerous. The problem is there is nowhere for the heat to really escape when the stove is at its hottest. A tank, connected as described by dtp would normally serve to take the excess heat away rapidly. Unlike a gas or oil boiler, you can't just switch off a stove when it gets too hot. With what is there, there is a risk you will end up with hot water at high pressure. This is a very bad thing. Even if it doesn't actually explode there is a real risk that a child would burn themselves on a very hot radiator. (Unlike a blazing fire, a hot radiator doesn't actually 'look' hot.)

A lot of the stuff about combis that you read is about gas. If you are doing this with oil, it is really not a great idea not to have a tank. This is because these boilers don't modulate as gas ones do.

You can get all different sizes and shapes of tanks these days, though there will be a lead time and a bit of an extra cost. A tank doesn't have to be in an old fashioned hot press.

If I were you I would save yourself a lot of trouble, and don't bother with hooking the stove up to the radiators or hot water. It isn't that economic and it is a lot of work. It might make sense for you if you have a free supply of firewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Thanks both of you for your replies, I think I will go back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 patrickwoodcock

I have just bought a small property with no heating system and have been thinking of the same thing. I was wondering if there was such a thing as radiators that can take 2 feeds? Sounds bit daft I guess. I did read of a person who put in two rads in the rooms, one for the combi system and one for the stove/boiler system

• Registered Users Posts: 40 patrickwoodcock

I have just bought a small property with no heating system and have been thinking of the same thing. I was wondering if there was such a thing as radiators that can take 2 feeds? Sounds bit daft I guess. I did read of a person who put in two rads in the rooms, one for the combi system and one for the stove/boiler system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

2 separate radiator systems is seriously over complicating things. Unless, as suggested in earlier post, you have a good source of free or cheap fire-wood, it would be far simpler and cheaper to just go for a stand alone stove and have your heating requirements looked after by a decent Oil or Gas boiler system.

Advertisement