Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Left hand drive cars

Options
  • 12-02-2013 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Are you allowed to do your test in a left hand drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Are you allowed to do your test in a left hand drive?

...what, in Norway, like ?? ;):p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Where is the car registered?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have seen this asked here before, and the answer was yes.

Have seen this asked here before, and the answer was yes.
    Not if its registered outside the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

loobylou wrote: »
    Not if its registered outside the state.

Then you're legally not allowed drive it, never mind sit a test in it. Moot point.

Off subject i know, but why would it be illegal to drive it? I see foreign registered cars on the road every day.
    The reason I mentioned it is because the OP is based in Norway and I presumed he was looking at using his own car for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Then you're legally not allowed drive it, never mind sit a test in it. Moot point.

You can drive an out of state car in Ireland for a year before you must remove or re register it

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Motor-Ed wrote: »

You can drive an out of state car in Ireland for a year before you must remove or re register it
    The preparing for your test booklet says it must be registered in the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

loobylou wrote: »
    Off subject i know, but why would it be illegal to drive it? I see foreign registered cars on the road every day.
    The reason I mentioned it is because the OP is based in Norway and I presumed he was looking at using his own car for the test.

I can't remember what part of the RTA / legislation it's in atm, but it's illegal for an Irish resident to drive a foreign registered vehicle in the ROI.
    Motor-Ed wrote: »

It aint quite that simple sunshine.
    Any imported vehicle which is owned by or registered in the name of a non-resident person is not required to be registered in Ireland subject to the following conditions:
    • The vehicle must have been acquired with all the appropriate taxes paid and these must not have been exempted or refunded in any way. The standard registration plates in use in the domestic market of a country are normally accepted as evidence of this.
    • The vehicle may not in any circumstances be driven by a State resident.
    • The vehicle may not be disposed of or hired out in the State or lent to a State resident.
    • The period of time that the vehicle is in the State does not exceed 12 months.
    • A longer period may apply where a person is on a task of definite duration in the State.

Then you have the question as to why a non-resident would be doing their driving test in Ireland. I'll give you a hint - they wouldn't.

Aside from that, Any vehicle brought into the country by an Irish resident, or for sale in Ireland must be VRT'd and registered within 30 days of arriving in the country.
    What is meant by "State resident" and "non-resident"?

A "State resident" is a person whose normal residence is in the Republic of Ireland and a "non-resident" is anyone whose normal residence is outside the State. "Normal residence " means the place where a person usually lives (for at least 185 days each year) because of personal or occupational ties.

If a person's occupational ties are in a different country from his/her personal ties, then the country of personal ties is taken as the normal residence provided the person returns there regularly.

A person who is normally resident in the State but who lives outside the State primarily for the purpose of attending a school or university is regarded as a State resident.

The rules regarding normal residency are in line with the EU Directives in this regard, especially Directive 83/182/EEC

In the case where someone moves from another EU country to Ireland as a permanent resident and brings their car with them, they also must VRT/Register their car within 30 days, however they are not liable for VRT charges so long as they can prove they were a permanent resident in said EU country. They also cannot sell this car for 12 months after registering it in the state.

So no, you can not drive a foreign registered car for a year without registering it. Unless you aren't a resident of Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement