Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deveneys Beer Festival 2010 - 20th Aug @ The Pod

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 nominal

Thanks guys. Great to have a beer festival in the Curragh but whats wrong with one in Dublin? I decided not to go to Oktoberfest this year for 2 reasons a) Septemberfest; b) no money... i'll have to start saving for next years Oktoberfest!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Is this the beer festival in farmleigh? I missed it the last 2 years and said i was definitely going to go this year! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Feu wrote: »
    Is this the beer festival in farmleigh? I missed it the last 2 years and said i was definitely going to go this year! :(

doh_homer_simpson-1084.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

nominal wrote: »
    whats wrong with one in Dublin?
    Where would you have it?

It's all very well when Bord Bia and the OPW can give you Farmleigh for a couple of days, but for the breweries to rent a licensed venue in Dublin would drive the overheads sky high. You'd get the obligatory its-too-expensive thread on here.

They did well to get the Curragh on board for Thorough Brew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 nominal

@BeerNut: Its true it would be expensive, if I had a choice I'd say St. Annes park - i know it would never happen. What happened with Farmleigh? Anybody know? It was a grand venue - nice long walk to and from it = clear head by the time you're back in the big smoke => less trouble caused!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

i know it would never happen
    Well that kinda answers "what's wrong with one in Dublin".

I hope some day to organise something like this, but getting a venue in a practical location for a workable price is the firt, seemingly insurmountable, problem.
    What happened with Farmleigh? Anybody know?
    Probably a budgetary thing. As obvious mentioned, they took the decision to combine Septemberfest with Bloom.

We need a wealthy landowner who is a fan of craft beer who can donate a site etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Saruman wrote: »
    We need a wealthy landowner who is a fan of craft beer who can donate a site etc.

An willing to fork out as massive premium for public liability insurance

Indeed.... any takers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Sorry for bringing up this old thread.

There were a few comments about the
    1. price of beers at beer festivals, in particular with respect to vouchers, and
    2. 'non-authentic' beer festivals

There is a beer festival in West Kerry (which admittedly I am involved in) which might hold some interest for those of you concerned with 1. although I couldn't recommend it to the number 2. cohort.

I don't want to name the festival or put up a link myself as I imagine that blatant advertising isn't welcome here and I won't give any more details whatsoever bar our proposed beer list and pricing (the beer list is not finalised although these would be the prices in line with other years):

All of these would be €4 a bottle and you can buy six vouchers for €20 --- NOT ripping people off but giving serious value. 330 or 300 ml bottles unless stated otherwise:

Rebel Red Bottle 500 ml
    La Trappe: Quadrupel, Tripel, Dubbel, Blond
    Triple Chocoholic 500 ml
    500 ml Lech Bottle
    500 ml Tyskie Bottle
    Kirin
    Tsingtao
    Singha
    Mac's Gold
    Moosehead
    Toohey's Extra Dry
    Victoria Bitter
    Steinlager
    Desperados

We would love to serve the following at this price also but it looks like we might have to price it at €5 and we're not sure how this works with a coupon yet:
    West Kerry Brewery: Porter, Dark Ale, Golden Ale 500 ml bottles

Tom Crean's Irish Premium Lager --- no information on price maybe something like €4.25?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

That's a pretty rubbish selection of beers for a "festival". Particularly if they're all from a bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

They have Rebel Red in bottles? When did that happen? And where can I get it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

KJ wrote: »

It's coming out next week and will be available in Dublin in these outlets.
    sweeneys,wheelans,swiss cottage,both mchughs,celtic whiskey,both deveneys,redmonds,porbus,drink store,baggot street wines,lilac wines,jus de vine and the bull and castle

irish_goat wrote: »
    That's a pretty rubbish selection of beers for a "festival". Particularly if they're all from a bottle.

"1. price of beers at beer festivals, in particular with respect to vouchers, and
    2. 'non-authentic' beer festivals

There is a beer festival in West Kerry (which admittedly I am involved in) which might hold some interest for those of you concerned with 1. although I couldn't recommend it to the number 2. cohort."

It is a fundraising "Beerfest" which donates to charities and local causes. It never claims to be anything but a fun event and the main reason I brought it up here is because I think the prices are good. If you buy the Beer Vouchers you could sample the likes of bottled Rebel Red, La Trappe and Triple Chocoholic for €3.33 a bottle.

It would be our wish to improve the fare on offer to 'serious' beer drinkers but this might take a few years but it will never reach the level of a boutique beer festival because the aims are:

1. To donate money to charities and local causes
    2. To put on a great event doing it

and our bread and butter is easy drinking world beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

except for the Kerry ones listed, there is almost nothing in that list that can't be gotten in a Tesco, far cheaper, not to mention the sameness of all bar the first 3. wouldn't entice me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Jippo wrote: »
    Rebel Red Bottle 500 ml
    La Trappe: Quadrupel, Tripel, Dubbel, Blond
    Triple Chocoholic 500 ml
    500 ml Lech Bottle
    500 ml Tyskie Bottle
    Kirin
    Tsingtao
    Singha
    Mac's Gold
    Moosehead
    Toohey's Extra Dry
    Victoria Bitter
    Steinlager
    Desperados

It's been said, but that's a pretty poor list.

La Trappes are good, but you're shooting yourselves in the foot with that quadruple, which AFAIK is relatively expensive due to alc content & taxes etc.

Moosehead, always strikes me as the dirt cheap Canadian stuff (though I hear they do cheaper.)

Lech and Tyskie are very similar.

And Desperados doesn't sit well with me either.

Fair enough if it's a charity thing, but I think you could probably have gotten some Irish brewers in and had a more interesting/profitable event.

May just be in a daze after seeing the Deveney's line-up (and the disappointment that I didn't realise it was in 2010!)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

KJ wrote: »

sorry for of topic post but saw this in drinkstore last night. Great little ale.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    It's been said, but that's a pretty poor list.

La Trappes are good, but you're shooting yourselves in the foot with that quadruple, which AFAIK is relatively expensive due to alc content & taxes etc.

Moosehead, always strikes me as the dirt cheap Canadian stuff (though I hear they do cheaper.)

Lech and Tyskie are very similar.

And Desperados doesn't sit well with me either.

Fair enough if it's a charity thing, but I think you could probably have gotten some Irish brewers in and had a more interesting/profitable event.

May just be in a daze after seeing the Deveney's line-up (and the disappointment that I didn't realise it was in 2010!)

Beer Menu attached:

http://annascaulbeerfest.wordpress.com/2012/06/24/the-beer-menus/

Recall that this is a charity event and while we are aware of our shortcomings with respect to the more discerning beer drinker we are making small strides year by year.

By and large our event is a 'fun' event and we aim to attract a broad spectrum of the public. This year we are donating to Kerry Respite Care. Event Guide:

http://annascaulbeerfest.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/annascaul-beerfest-event-guide.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

With respect to the Thread Title

You can expect to Find Deveneys in Dundrum this year, 2012, on the 15th September.

Advertisement