Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing spam?

Options
  • 06-10-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I have my own site and domain on which I display contact email addresses. Is there any way I can cut down the amount of spam I get?!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Some people replace the "@ symbol with [at] and the ." with [dot]. What mail program are you using to check emails? Also, be careful where you use that email address (signing up to sites, make sure to tick the boxes which ask do you wish them to give your email to partners).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sign up to msn, download a 15 meg app called "Windows Live Mail". Its very effective in cutting down on spam.
    More effective than any other utility out there at the moment I've come across.
    It learns itself and you can teach it too.
    Its free and you can import all your many email accounts. Just like Outlook - only better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wouldnt have an awful lot of faith in a Microsoft invention tbh :p Other alternatives include moving to Google Hosted (Gmail for your domain basically).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

2nd the gmail solution. Know a few who use forward their mail to it, to get rid of the spam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 strjms72

it's really not a good solution to replace @ with at and so on on a contact page on a website, there are people who don't understand this replacements and will get it wrong. apart from not looking good.

• Advertisement

strjms72 wrote: »
    it's really not a good solution to replace @ with at and so on on a contact page on a website, there are people who don't understand this replacements and will get it wrong. apart from not looking good.

Its widely common, and I wouldn't use it on a professional website - but for your average personal site I wouldn't be pushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

put the email in am image file:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

barnicles wrote: »
    put the email in am image file:):)
    Thats a system thats never been defeated before...

Advertisement