Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stick with Vodafone or not?

• 22-10-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,,

After a lot of waiting around, over a month and a half, and two routers delivered later, We finally got in Vodafone broadband.

I was told the line can take up to 25mb as it is, and they said I could be looking at 15-19mb. They assured me that some of my neighbours here were getting average figures in the mid-teens range.

However, as half expected, since we got it connected last week, we are barely getting 3-4mb down and 0.30 up. (Speedtests were vodafone and speedtest.net).

After many calls to Customer Support, I was finally told they are only sending 7mb down the line. So with congestion, we are getting the 2-4mb range.

We have until tomorrow to make up my mind if we should keep it.

The thing is, according to Eircom, the area here is to be enabled for Fibre next month. But Vodafone did say it could be another few months before this Fibre is passed onto them, by Eircom.

Anyone else have experience like this?

Is it worth my while to hold on to the Vodafone and see how the Fibre works out?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What area is it?

Just because its planned doesn't guarantee it'll be a few months. Also doesnt guarantee you'll be in the first 40% of lines that qualify the area as live. Or that you aren't direct fed(19mb prequal suggests ya might be).

The fact you're still congested suggests there's no fibre backhaul to the exchange yet. Might be a long wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

ED E wrote: »
    What area is it?

Just because its planned doesn't guarantee it'll be a few months. Also doesnt guarantee you'll be in the first 40% of lines that qualify the area as live. Or that you aren't direct fed(19mb prequal suggests ya might be).

The fact you're still congested suggests there's no fibre backhaul to the exchange yet. Might be a long wait.

It's in the Lehenaghmore area of Cork.

There are a few cabinets outside the Estate that Eircom are nearly always working on.

And there's also one at the end of the hill that they work on, which is about 200-300 yards down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Both quaker and togher are NGN, shouldnt be congested. Wouldnt be surprised if you have a fault on the line or incorrect setup in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

ED E wrote: »
    Both quaker and togher are NGN, shouldnt be congested. Wouldnt be surprised if you have a fault on the line or incorrect setup in the house.

Thanks for that ED E ..

Will hound them until something is sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Hi Guys,,

After a lot of waiting around, over a month and a half, and two routers delivered later, We finally got in Vodafone broadband.

I was told the line can take up to 25mb as it is, and they said I could be looking at 15-19mb. They assured me that some of my neighbours here were getting average figures in the mid-teens range.

However, as half expected, since we got it connected last week, we are barely getting 3-4mb down and 0.30 up. (Speedtests were vodafone and speedtest.net).

After many calls to Customer Support, I was finally told they are only sending 7mb down the line. So with congestion, we are getting the 2-4mb range.

We have until tomorrow to make up my mind if we should keep it.

The thing is, according to Eircom, the area here is to be enabled for Fibre next month. But Vodafone did say it could be another few months before this Fibre is passed onto them, by Eircom.

Anyone else have experience like this?

Is it worth my while to hold on to the Vodafone and see how the Fibre works out?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in !
    I got exact same speak from Vodafone today as you seem to have. I'm trying to make mind up if I will take it. I am concerned as you say they are only sending 7 down the line after telling you near 20 was assured... Do you think if you got fibre enabled it will be better ? Did you keep it? I am trying to avoid a repetition of what has unfortunately happened to you thks paddy

• Advertisement
Advertisement