Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice needed.

Options
  • 05-09-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

My car started making a funny grinding noise, particularly when I took a hard left turn. I brought it to a local mechanics to have it checked. He told me it was my rear left wheel bearing. This made sense to me, a mate suggested this was the problem, so I told him to go ahead and fix it. That was all grand I collected the car yesterday, it cost me 190 quid but i was happy to be back on the road. So today I was driving to the shops, took a sharp left and the grinding noise was back. I'm obviously heading to the garage first thing tomorrow but I have no idea what my rights are?

As the noise is still the exact same I'm now assuming the wheel bearing didn't need changing, so he should have never charged me 190 euro. Where do I stand here, I'm sure he'll argue it did need changing and that I still have a part he paid 120 euro sitting in my car. Whatever about the labor cost I still have an apparently brand new part. Can I demand my money back and drive away with the new bearing, as I doubt he'd put my old one to put back in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

My car started making a funny grinding noise, particularly when I took a hard left turn. I brought it to a local mechanics to have it checked. He told me it was my rear left wheel bearing. This made sense to me, a mate suggested this was the problem, so I told him to go ahead and fix it. That was all grand I collected the car yesterday, it cost me 190 quid but i was happy to be back on the road. So today I was driving to the shops, took a sharp left and the grinding noise was back. I'm obviously heading to the garage first thing tomorrow but I have no idea what my rights are?

As the noise is still the exact same I'm now assuming the wheel bearing didn't need changing, so he should have never charged me 190 euro. Where do I stand here, I'm sure he'll argue it did need changing and that I still have a part he paid 120 euro sitting in my car. Whatever about the labor cost I still have an apparently brand new part. Can I demand my money back and drive away with the new bearing, as I doubt he'd put my old one to put back in?

I'd expect him to fix whatever is wrong free of charge.

Copy and paste your post to the motors forum, you'll get more replys there.

Advertisement