Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

views on senior cycle history - What would you change?

Options
  • 15-08-2014 7:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭

hey all.
    I'm preparing at the moment for an upcoming interview and I am interest in peoples views on senior cycle History, what are peoples views on the existing course? if given the power to change areas what would you do?

what springs to mind for me is I would love to see a greater stress on document based study.
    With the amount of available primary sources coming online in recent years I believe it should be taken full advantage of..

another area I would love to see integrated in some form is oral history (a personal area of interest really :) )

its just really shocking the low uptake of History in senior cycle, I read recently somewhere that around 50,000 study it for JC and it drops to 11,000 for senior cycle..

any views or insights from others would really be great

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I guess third years are probably best geared to answering that question.

Do they have a certain perception of the subject? Like many students think HL maths or physics is 'hard', do students think the same about history or are they put off by what they hear on the grapevine about essay writing?

Is it a subject that has suffered timetable cuts (less classes allocated to it) due to overall cutbacks? I know it has in my school.

My school back in the day was an anomaly. There were about 90 in my LC year and 60 took History. I was in the minority that didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Im a History teacher in a school that doesn't even offer History. So so frustrating particularly when so many first years said to me last year they would have loved the chance to do History

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭crappyireland

Hi Rainbowtrout, thank you for your reply and great insights!

Yes it's very true that timetabling and cutbacks really play a factor in low uptake.

I didn't even think about students being put off by essay element (thanks - will definitely develop this in my preparation)

Im a History teacher in a school that doesn't even offer History. So so frustrating particularly when so many first years said to me last year they would have loved the chance to do History

Aww that's awful !!

I LOVE teaching 1st year History, they are so passionate and interested
    its so crap then when not given the opportunity to continue their history studies..

Hi Rainbowtrout, thank you for your reply and great insights!

Yes it's very true that timetabling and cutbacks really play a factor in low uptake.

I didn't even think about students being put off by essay element (thanks - will definitely develop this in my preparation)

On the other hand, history and geography are kind of lumped together as the arts subjects in Junior Cycle. There clearly isn't the same perceptions about geography with about 25,000 taking it for LC, so why are droves doing geography and not history. I know in grind schools geography is promoted as one of those 'easy honours' subjects, is that filtering down into the mainstream at the expense of history?

In my school equal time is allocated to both for JC, history had less time for a couple of years but they are both the same now. We always have 2 full geography classes for LC (approx 20 in each). On the odd occasion we have 3 classes, where our LC group averages 80. History rarely surpasses 10, and 12 is a bumper crop.

Do students see it as a rote learning subject and become turned off? Lots of essays to be learned where geography appears to be more hands on with map reading etc?

On a personal note, I loved JC History, found all of it really interesting except the modern Irish history which was very political and I found that boring at the time.

When I realised that half the LC course would be made up of Irish history (essentially politics to my mind) I said no way.

Even considering history v geography for the LC exam. There are a variety of geography questions : Short answer questions which include fill in the blanks, map reading, statistics. Long questions which include essay style, map reading, map drawing, drawing graphs, analysing statistics. A variety of skills are tested.

In history there's the document question and then it's a case of write three essays. Overall: write like fcuk.

The subject obviously doesn't lend itself to the wide variety of skills like the geography exam, but the overwhelming feeling I get from the paper is : regurgitate as much as you can, as fast as you can about the titles listed.

Just looking at the papers, geography is way more student friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

People hear about all the essays that you have to write for history that can be up on four pages long each. This turns many off I believe.

I personally think the 'Early Modern' course would be more appealing for students. Well, it would've for me anyways. I really wish I could have studied the older history more as I wasn't nearly as interested in the more modern stuff. I've looked for schoolbooks on the 'Early Modern' course since I left, just to read myself, but there aren't any!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pegasusbridge

I have found that a lot of students are put off choosing LC history by their parents. There is a perception that it is impossible to get an A in history (not true of course as anyone who looks at the grade percentages can see). I actually think the other problem is that the syllabus in 3rd year is far too long. This turns students off the subject as they are trying to revise for the JC and learn a huge mountain of new material that spans too much time and so is difficult to understand. About 6 years ago this was going to be solved by the "rebalanced syllabus" but this was shelved by the dept.
    While there is still a necessity to write long essays, you don't get rewarded for just writing facts. You need to interpret, analyse and make a coherent argument. The fact that students also get to select a topic of their choosing for their research project is another big advantage.
    I feel that LC history works as a good springboard for 3rd level as students are given a good introduction into the area of evidence based analysis and research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Maybe 10000 out of 50000 is just the right amount for a niche subject! As the previous poster mentioned, the essence is critical enquiry.. so for teenagers (psychologically speaking) its too early for a lot of them to do the indepth study and critical thinking thats required.

History is always lumped along with Geography for some reason but they are completely different animals. BTW I was superintending for the LC geography and found that I could have probably got an honour just using a bit of common sense! gap fills, multiple choice, map reading... ok the essays would have been waffle but still! I know im taking the adult's perspective but looking at the LC History paper...no way.

Sure, all non-core subject teachers want to keep their class sizes healthy but is there a danger of sexing it up in JC and then having half your class not prepaired for the slog in LC... I bet theres a fair few minority teachers who like to keep their numbers as low as possible to bring the students to a very high level. Hence they dont pander to the JC line of 'making the subject fun' to trick the students into thinking that the LC will be 'fun' also.

Case in point.. quite often ive had students showing up to do LC music whom ive never seen before. The primary reason...'easy' subject to get an Honour/points (like history). They don't realise that the honours awarded are statistically high for a reason... because it is hard and there are small classes.

Rambling a bit but just be careful about the trend towards reform and change for the sake of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would love a proper documents question on the examination, where candidates are given photocopies of an original document (census return/rent records, whatever) and they extract information and form opinions based on the documents and their knowledge of the time period. Not learned off, not what the book said, but what they use their historical skills to discover.
    It need not even be a full question in the exam, just some indication they know how to use an index/look up references etc.

I was involved for many years in Environmental and Social Studies (integrated History and Geography for JC) and there was some really good research (particularly family and social history) going on in classrooms all over the country. It seems a shame that those who go on to LC History are very much confined to textbooks and essays.

spurious wrote: »
    I would love a proper documents question on the examination, where candidates are given photocopies of an original document (census return/rent records, whatever) and they extract information and form opinions based on the documents and their knowledge of the time period. Not learned off, not what the book said, but what they use their historical skills to discover.
    It need not even be a full question in the exam, just some indication they know how to use an index/look up references etc.

I was involved for many years in Environmental and Social Studies (integrated History and Geography for JC) and there was some really good research (particularly family and social history) going on in classrooms all over the country. It seems a shame that those who go on to LC History are very much confined to textbooks and essays.

There was actually a census question on JC OL history this year. I only remember it because I was scribing for a student doing it

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »

I totally agree with this !

Advertisement