Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02astra coolant leak

Options
  • 04-09-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi all. I've a 02 1.4 Opel astra. I recently noticed the engine fan staying on for about a minute after I switched the engine off.
    I checked the engine reservoir and it was empty. I topped it up and after a short spin checked and it was empty again.
    I topped up and started the engine and saw a leak from under the driver side of the car. I haven't gotten a good look at it yet but was wondering does anyone have any advice on how to pinpoint the leak and possible causes.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

With that kind of loss it sounds like a big hose leak, but tbh it could be anything.
    Only way to know is to have a look underneath and in engine bay for obvious tears in hoses.
    Hoses do deteriorate though and car is 12 years now. If it is a hose it's usually not expensive to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The last Astra I worked on with a leak, it was one of the heater hoses had worn through rubbing off something. They would be going from the engine to the bulkhead. Worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Is there any extra/white smoke out the exhaust?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Waterpump would be my guess, have to take timing cover off to check

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

There is no white smoke coming out of the exhaust.
    Thanks for all the replies will have a look this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

knipper wrote: »
    There is no white smoke coming out of the exhaust.
    Thanks for all the replies will have a look this evening.

I refilled the reservoir ladt night and checked this morning and found no leak. I then took it for a short spin and when I came back no leak either.
    I presume with the day being cooler the coolant system didn't kick in.
    Do I have to wait for a warm day to search for the leak so?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The coolant system is always active (always circulating). You may want to try turning heat in car on/off to see if that makes a difference.

Advertisement