Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone tell me if they have ever done an internship as an assistant lecturer or i

• 13-08-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I would love to be a lecturer and I have just recently finished a level 8 honours degree but I need teaching experience to get started! Any help would be very much appreciated thanks a million :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭pandoraj09

Do you mean be a University lecturer? Think you need a PhD to have any chance of that? I know my sister gave tutorials to first yr undergrads while she was doing her Masters..That may be a way in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'm no expert but I don't think it's the kind of career you start by internship. Unless you're otherwise incredible (on an international stage), you'd usually need a Masters/P.hD and/or some research experience to get started. It does usually seem to start off with tutorials/lab demonstrations and the like.

Obviously it differs from field to field and school to school so it really depends on what you'd like to lecture in.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭butterfly28

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    Do you mean be a University lecturer? Think you need a PhD to have any chance of that? I know my sister gave tutorials to first yr undergrads while she was doing her Masters..That may be a way in.

Thanks for your reply :) I'm looking to do the internship in an IT. I've thought of doing a masters as well and I know you can do one while you're actually teaching/lecturing....just want a way to get my foot in the door!

I'm no expert but I don't think it's the kind of career you start by internship. Unless you're otherwise incredible (on an international stage), you'd usually need a Masters/P.hD and/or some research experience to get started. It does usually seem to start off with tutorials/lab demonstrations and the like.

Obviously it differs from field to field and school to school so it really depends on what you'd like to lecture in.

Thanks! Just think it would be worth a shot because I've seen the job description and what would be desirable to get the job and I have the bare minimum (2:1) and thought I may as well make the most out of Job Bridge if possible lol! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

If you want to lecture at 3rd level you'll need a PhD these days. Doubt you'd get an internship As a lecturer but *maybe* as a lab demonstrator.

The usual route is teaching/demonstrating while you get your PhD.

In my experience, a phd is now the accepted "norm" at third level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

P.s. I should qualify my previous post by saying the phd "rule" is discipline specific.

Law/Business doesn't always require a PhD for lecturing, provided you've the required experience and have the professional qualifications.

Another point I'd make is that the focus is mainly on research in third level institutions, primarily as a mechanism to bring in funding. Therefore academics are encouraged (and rewarded) for research activities and teaching is often second-place from a career progression perspective. If you're truly passionate about teaching, maybe consider second level? (Not trying to put you off third level teaching!)

P.s. I should qualify my previous post by saying the phd "rule" is discipline specific.

Law/Business doesn't always require a PhD for lecturing, provided you've the required experience and have the professional qualifications.

Another point I'd make is that the focus is mainly on research in third level institutions, primarily as a mechanism to bring in funding. Therefore academics are encouraged (and rewarded) for research activities and teaching is often second-place from a career progression perspective. If you're truly passionate about teaching, maybe consider second level? (Not trying to put you off third level teaching!)

Thanks a million :) I understand what you mean by the "rule" and research in particular! I'll see what happens anyway if you don't ask you don't get lol! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭2011abc

Jeez This whole internship rat race culture is really setting in .Next it will be brain surgeon interns !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I don't think anywhere does an actual internship for lecturing. The route would be as others have said above.

One other point to note is that as far as I recall, you need an honours degree plus at least three years post-grad experience at an absolute minimum. So I don't think you would have sufficient experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Sciscitatio

I would love to be a lecturer and I have just recently finished a level 8 honours degree but I need teaching experience to get started! Any help would be very much appreciated thanks a million :D

What area are you looking at for lecturing, science, business etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

You'd need at least a degree/hdip/grad dip and a Masters to be a lecturer at an IT but to become a lecturer at an University you would need a PhD for sure. If doing a Masters you can do Assistant Lecturing roles depending on course and college you doing it in.

doovdela wrote: »
    You'd need at least a degree/hdip/grad dip and a Masters to be a lecturer at an IT but to become a lecturer at an University you would need a PhD for sure. If doing a Masters you can do Assistant Lecturing roles depending on course and college you doing it in.
    You are not fully correct, there is always a small percent of lectures in universities that don't have a PhD, and are classed as top in their field. It can really depend on your subject area, for example, I know one person who lectures to PhD on stats etc and they don't have nor need a PhD.
    However, in the main, it is a lot and I mean A LOT, easier to work in a uni with a PhD than without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Oh right I thought you needed a PhD to be a lecturer in an Uni bar those that have degrees/hdips/postgrad/Masters to be assistant lecturers.

Na its not really the case, now long in promotions, etc, I'm sure are affected, but that's about it. In unis, you have a lecture that is above the BAR and below the BAR, kinda like in law, but the BAR is based on publications, your contributions to the unit and so on. A student would never really know if the lecture is above or below the BAR, and while the promotion is effected if you below the BAR, the title is still lecturing in Ireland anyhow. However, in my above example I don't know if the person is above or below the BAR as it's something that is not discussed.
    I will say yes in the long run in UNI, one wants a PhD to progress, but in the short term, it really can depend on the persons skill set.

For anyone interested starting off, the general track is degrees, then (ideally) a masters, and then either become a research assistant or teaching assistant for a year or even two. Then start a PhD, or if you are super good a research get a full time research position for a bit longer.
    Some people skip the masters, or skill the assistant role, but they generally need a longer post doc, or get the PhD but have only a small bit of teaching time clocked up. I have also seen that people without a masters, with a PhD do not do nearly as good as someone with the masters and PhD. Why? Well with a masters, and a PhD along with a degree, you generally clock up around 9-10 years of study time, this is a good selling point if you want to become a leader in your field, as knowledge is key.

This is a very brief overview, but hope it helps. Im new to academic and before now the whole thing confused me too, ive only started to understand it now :)

Advertisement