Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

There really should be a sticky that lists bad accommodation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

I was thinking of going there until i visited and most of the place was not even finished with construction. Rooms were very small and tight, no comfy feel.

Thankfully i didn't pay the deposit as i changed my mind and went to Thomond instead. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jean09

Ya, I lived there too last year, it was a complete **** hole. I would advise everyone to stay away. They just don't give a **** about students at all and they say one thing and then do another. Like I told them before I moved in that I was only there for one semester cause I was going on co-op and then they started telling me that I had said I was there for the full year and all this....the only reason I ended up there is cause I was in Brookfield the year before but left it too late to apply, there was a waiting list but I wanted to be sure I had somewhere.

Been staying in a lovely house in Dublin for co-op, finishing up in 2 weeks :) and then back to Brookfield for 4th year!!

But stay away from Troy, other places have their problems but this place really takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Can this sort of thing not be reported to the SU or the Accomadations office? As far as i known the both try and help with bad landlords etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jean09

Don't live in Troy. See other thread "Troy Student Village (Do not live there)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tiffanys wrote: »
    [*]We have being chasing our deposits since we moved out in May and have now been informed we will not recieve them back!

They've must have had a reason for withholding your deposit?
    What did they tell you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Hey guys no a lad who stayed in groody iswell said it was a **** hole .

Anyone have any thing to say about plassey when your finished abusing troy;)
    Ive a room got their this year, I know the houses are ment to be a bit rough round the edges,
    But I heard management are bang on??

Any opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Secoundrow wrote: »
    Hey guys no a lad who stayed in groody iswell said it was a **** hole .

Anyone have any thing to say about plassey when your finished abusing troy;)
    Ive a room got their this year, I know the houses are ment to be a bit rough round the edges,
    But I heard management are bang on??

Any opinions

Plassey is one of on-campus accommodation villages which is run by Plassey Campus Centre, basically the University's landlord's. As the villages are run through the University it is clearly in its own interest to make sure it is a good landlord to its own student (imagine the headlines otherwise) and in general the majority of residents get on fine; obviously if you breach your contract or the University's code of conduct then your tenancy would be in jeopardy, but for most happy-go-lucky students this isn't an issue.

OP, I'd recommend that you contact the Welfare Officer in the SU and inform him of all of this. Derek Daly is the guy you're looking for and can be emailed on suwelfare@ul.ie. I'd suggest that others with similar complaints do the same. In writing (ie by email) is the best so that there is an e-trail of it and the more complaints, the more sound his argument will be if he goes to the landlord at Troy. I'd certainly bring it up with him about your deposit and definitely ask the landlord exactly why it has been retained.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tiffanys

Magnus wrote: »
    They've must have had a reason for withholding your deposit?
    What did they tell you?

They are charging us 700e each for electricity bills between 3. They said they needed to clean the place (50e). The place was spotless wen we moved out, but not when we moved in. Charging 50e for a key/fob wen I did exactly as they asked and put it in an envelope and then the post box! And charging us 50e for damages (Supposedly a tear to the couch which there was not).

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Right.

I'm not finished dealing with Troy yet, but I have resolved a few issues.

€50 is the standard charge for a tear in the couches, €100 for a rip. I have been told this by the manager.

If you were charged for TV licence, please contact me as I made the manager aware that the lease specifically excludes this (it won't for the coming year)

I have to remain impartial on accommodation, so I will not be making recommendations one way or the other.

General issues for ALL Accommodation
    Anyone with astronomical electricity bills request the ORIGINAL BILL, verify them with ESB and verify that they are for your unit only, not a block

Cleaning is varying, but request ALL receipts. "I did it myself" is not a valid answer. No receipt, no deduction from the deposit.

There is nothing that can be done about internet or hot water now, that needs to be reported during the year so the SU and Accommodation Office can bug the village manager.

Take photos when you move out.

Do NOT do ANYTHING over the phone. Everything by email and saved or it might as well never have been said.

Have your lease checked by the Union Support Solicitor BEFORE you sign it...that applies to landlords more than villages, but feel free to have village contracts checked too.

Call into me or email me (suwelfare@ul.ie) for the solicitor's contact details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

I'm posting this on behalf of my brother who'll be starting the B.Ed in Mary I in a few weeks. He's looking for a single room in a house / apt either in Castlewell, Alandale or Fitzhaven. He's tidy, mature, very friendly, good craic, and will definitely pull his weight! He's not fussy - will live with fellas or girls. If anyone has a spare room, let me know! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Did you check out the accom. list you can find at http://www.mic.ul.ie/accommodation/default.htm ?

Yeah I tried to download it but whatever type of file it is my computer won't open it!:confused:

sadhbhc15 wrote: »
    Yeah I tried to download it but whatever type of file it is my computer won't open it!:confused:

It's an Excel 2007 file. Do you have Excel on your computer? I can try to convert it to an older version of excel if you like, and pm it to you?

I have excel alright, but it must be an older version. That'd be brilliant pjtb, much appreciated :)

Sent!

Just got it - it worked! Appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 reindeerarmy

when will we hear if we got on campus accomodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭CarDriver

when will we hear if we got on campus accomodation?

Are you just after getting your LC results? You should be hearing from Campus Life shortly if you have. As far as I know they contact you once the CAO is out. Did you pay your deposit? If you did your place should be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭seanman is me

got the confirmation messae today,does that mean i def got a place on campus?? and will it def be my preferences of plassey or kilmurray!!?? confused!!! and in regards to sharing wit a friend ,are they good to accomodate u??? replies would be nice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭MiciG91

Hey guys im new on this ! is anyone intrested in 2 rooms in a house in Elm park its not in the estate its a fancy one on the hill big garden,big kitchen,nice furniture big sitting room ,we already have 3 in the house myself ,Darragh and Shauna two second years.Im goin into first year:) Rent isnt steep either 60 euro a week .I was up yesterday and looked at 8 houses this was the best by a long way so anyone intrested in 2 rooms give me a shout A.S.A.P

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

i have a savage house in college court drive with 3rooms available(last i heard anyway)
    75 per week..
    you a first year???
    pm me if interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

croker1 wrote: »
    i have a savage house in college court drive with 3rooms available(last i heard anyway)
    75 per week..
    you a first year???
    pm me if interested
    €75 a week is very hefty for college court. I know you're not the landlord, but rents are down 16% in Limerick on average on this time last year. I know there's demand in Castletroy now, but for €75 it'd want to include heating and a double ensuite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Could you please show me to a house that has cheaper rooms?
    €70 is about standard from what ive seen on daft / collegecribs.
    Unless im looking in the totally wrong place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

See attached pic...I know for a fact that there are signs in the windows of houses in the marked areas, and I'd be shocked if they are looking for more than €60 per week.
    If they are, they need to include bins, oil, ensuite or something to warrant the price, or else, there is a reason they are still free at this time of year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Merged the above few posts into the general accomodation thread.

Please see https://studentliving.ul.ie/index.jsp?p=116&n=141 for latest listings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭GraGra90

ninty9er wrote: »
    Listings and advice attached.

Lodgings is "with a family" / B&B

Sorry, think ya forgot a few there!! None of the off-campus villages are mentioned in any of the above, houses are not the only options available after on-campus is full.

There are student villages off-campus too, such as Brookfield Hall, Courtyard, Groody and Troy and a few others further away from college.

Don't know which of these are approved by Campus you'd have to call the accommodation office to find out about any of the rest (061 202331).

Grá

Off Campus Villages are available with varying reputations, so I'd rather not list them. Listing one = listing all.

Feel free to post recommendations. Also remember that Off Campus Villages are more easily identifiable than housing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

ok went to see a house in elm park today and cant decide to go for either a small room for 40 a week or a big room for 50 a week .. anyone have any ideas as to wat i should do .. if i get the smaller room il have a tener more each week like for goin out but the bigger room has a closet and a double bed and the small room is downstairs right by the front door any help appreciated tanx

edit* also does anyone know wat elm park is like .. does it have a good/bad rep???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 reindeerarmy

i'm paying 4500 to stay in thomond, pure madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 aaronlippy

4500?? ...i had to pay 5800 in dublin last year...and i had to share a room!!...facilities were muck and the apartment was like a doghouse...absoltly tiny. 2 bedrooms in it..the other lad had a room to himself...not ensuite and had to pay 7500 for the year!!.... evryone payed 500 deposit and noone seen a bean of it.. had to get a student loan out aswell:mad:

it was griffith accomodation for griffith college students... i was in DIT and since dit has no campus we have to stay on the nearest student village...which happend to be griffith unfortunatly.:(

anyways im sure plassey cant be as bad...for half the price and a room to myself its chips if ya ask me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Staying in Plassey, any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 aaronlippy

not a clue lad!...im stayin der too....so ill guess wel ave t find ou:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FolmColan

Me too! Supposed to be good for first years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Peadar87

Mallox wrote: »
    ok went to see a house in elm park today and cant decide to go for either a small room for 40 a week or a big room for 50 a week .. anyone have any ideas as to wat i should do .. if i get the smaller room il have a tener more each week like for goin out but the bigger room has a closet and a double bed and the small room is downstairs right by the front door any help appreciated tanx

edit* also does anyone know wat elm park is like .. does it have a good/bad rep???

I would be tempted to get the upstairs room. I lived in elm park before and the small rooms by the front door are basically coverted garages and can get quite cold. The room upstairs will prob be warmer and with a double bed prob worth it. Also another thing for consideration could be if there is only an upstairs bathroom. It can be quite annoying if you have to go up stairs every morning to have a shower. By the front door isnt the ideal place to be either as when people come home at night they will prob wake you up.

As for the reputation its not that great, theres alot of social housing in the area but to be honest i have never had any probs with the neighbours. Elm park, the houses wouldnt be the best (cardboard walls:pac:). Saying that i enjoyed the years i spent there and def a gud place to have party and session:D

my advice is take the big room €50 a week is still fairly cheap and given all the advantages think its worth it. Best of luck with the house hunting

kingbowe9 wrote: »
    Ok, i need a few things clear up about Groody student village.
    im getting three bed apartment there and rent is €80 a week and deposit is €400.
    1) Do u have to pay anything else for bills or anything and if so how much??
    2) Would u recommend the place or what??

I'd be fairly sure there is a utilities charge. Check with the office. Also Internet in that side of Castletroy in general can be problematic, nothing too important to worry about I would think. Security gates there and everything so it's pretty secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

Peadar87 wrote: »
    I would be tempted to get the upstairs room. I lived in elm park before and the small rooms by the front door are basically coverted garages and can get quite cold. The room upstairs will prob be warmer and with a double bed prob worth it. Also another thing for consideration could be if there is only an upstairs bathroom. It can be quite annoying if you have to go up stairs every morning to have a shower. By the front door isnt the ideal place to be either as when people come home at night they will prob wake you up.

As for the reputation its not that great, theres alot of social housing in the area but to be honest i have never had any probs with the neighbours. Elm park, the houses wouldnt be the best (cardboard walls:pac:). Saying that i enjoyed the years i spent there and def a gud place to have party and session:D

my advice is take the big room €50 a week is still fairly cheap and given all the advantages think its worth it. Best of luck with the house hunting

sound for that .. ya i jus rang there and im gonna take the upstairs room :D .. the thought of that room downstairs being cold at winter was wat decided it for me ha
    woo roll on parties and sessions in elm park lads:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

FolmColan wrote: »
    Me too! Supposed to be good for first years.
    me three:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

I was in Kilmurray today for the tour and accommodation open day.
    In very good condition in fairness and yer man, Morris was lovelyyyy!

Any Q's, ask away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ted Bundy

Has anyone got confirmation of their accom?i got the message but I just didn't get anything to say I got my first preference...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Looking forward to living in Thomond now, just sent off the first installment so all good to go. I'm starting to wonder, what exactly I'll need to bring down. A number of people have said a first aid kit is a must :/
    So if anyone has any ideas on what to bring-please let me know!!

Looking forward to living in Thomond now, just sent off the first installment so all good to go. I'm starting to wonder, what exactly I'll need to bring down. A number of people have said a first aid kit is a must :/
    So if anyone has any ideas on what to bring-please let me know!!
    It's not a must unless you're really clumsy.

Sheets
    Pillows
    Duvet
    Computer
    Anything you'd bring on holidays
    Plenty of food
    Money to get a George Foreman between all the people in your house.
    ID

People always forget their PHONE CHARGER

If you have a Medical Card (all students can apply independent of their parents) you will need to find a doctor to register with.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

im 17 now and will be until april next year do you think it would make much difference when going out if u have a student id?

Might pose some difficulty, but I was never in the same situation, and don't know too many people who were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Wooo I'm staying in Plassey too, went down yesterday for the day, i presumed i would have got my first choice (Kilmurry) but turns out I'm in Plassey, had a look at the place, will do the job ;) I'm not too fussy. (apart from 8 people: 2 bathrooms) But hopefully it'll be good craic and easy to make friends considering i'm a loner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

ninty9er wrote: »
    It's not a must unless you're really clumsy.

Sheets
    Pillows
    Duvet
    Computer
    Anything you'd bring on holidays
    Plenty of food
    Money to get a George Foreman between all the people in your house.
    ID

People always forget their PHONE CHARGER

If you have a Medical Card (all students can apply independent of their parents) you will need to find a doctor to register with.

Duvet's are suppiled in Dromroe! And there is two pillows as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

anyone else on the bottom of a big fat waiting list for accommodation? when did people find out they got plassey or kilmurry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

I found out today officially via letter.

For check in they say that you need official proof of ID.
    My passport ran out this summer and I haven't gotten around to renewing it and obviously won't before Sunday.
    Would my expired passport backed up by my Garda ID suffice?

Advertisement