Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare/College fees

Options
  • 18-03-2014 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, recently iv gotten back from a working holiday in Canada. I was working at construction over there like most irish people do but i have a degree in Business and tried to get a job in that field over there but to no avail. Since i have returned iv been applying for everything such as all business fields aswell as internships but no luck as of yet.

I have always been passionate about psychology but when i went to college the first time it wasnt an option. I was just wondering if i went back to study pyschology (the fees are fairly steep like 3-5k per year) What are my options, can i still claim welfare in a full time course, part time course? and will i have to pay full fees and if so can i break them down into installments.

I would qualify as a mature student, if anyone has previous experience in such a situation before returning to college giving me advice be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You would have to pay full fees because you already have a degree

You could claim jobseekers allowance if the course was part time but you would have to be genuinely seeking full time work and available for full time work.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheSockMonster

Not 100% sure but you might be able to get back to education allowance for a postgrad conversion course in psychology if you've been unemployed for over 9 months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Not 100% sure but you might be able to get back to education allowance for a postgrad conversion course in psychology if you've been unemployed for over 9 months

He just returned from a working holiday. Unless he lies, he wont get that allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

goz83 wrote: »
    He just returned from a working holiday. Unless he lies, he wont get that allowance.

Well if he wasn't claiming jobseekers they will know that

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭chooey

Can't claim social if its a full time course, not sure about part-time. I had to try and get loans to fund my fees for my second degree which was difficult also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement