Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engelberg in March

Options
  • 02-02-2014 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Heading to Engelberg for 3/4 days skiing over Paddys weekend. Always liked the look of this resort so can't wait. Has anyone been here in the past? Any tips greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

No, but will be there 2 weeks after you! Let us know how you get on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

fannymagee wrote: »
    No, but will be there 2 weeks after you! Let us know how you get on :-)

will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

There is a regular poster here who's actually there for the season so hopefully he'll come on and help you. Unfortunately I think he's banned at the mo. I'll probably get banned for mentioning that the way things are going on here. I'd also love to go to engelberg been on my list for a few years and going to keep it for a last minute trip when I know there'll be fresh snow. I understand there's only a few pistes, maybe two days worth but some great off piste including two very long descents down faces accessed from the lifts. Big freeride culture there as far as I know, lots of scandis. Town is supposed to be nice and quaint but I think you may have to get a short bus journey to the lifts. I think you may also be able get a train right there too which is handy.

If I get a pass and the snow comes this paddy's day you may even see me out there.

a148pro wrote: »
    There is a regular poster here who's actually there for the season so hopefully he'll come on and help you. Unfortunately I think he's banned at the mo. I'll probably get banned for mentioning that the way things are going on here. I'd also love to go to engelberg been on my list for a few years and going to keep it for a last minute trip when I know there'll be fresh snow. I understand there's only a few pistes, maybe two days worth but some great off piste including two very long descents down faces accessed from the lifts. Big freeride culture there as far as I know, lots of scandis. Town is supposed to be nice and quaint but I think you may have to get a short bus journey to the lifts. I think you may also be able get a train right there too which is handy.

If I get a pass and the snow comes this paddy's day you may even see me out there.

thanks for the advice. that would be great if the banned person gets let back in to pass on his knowledge, time will tell. We're getting a taxi from zurich on the Thursday before Paddys, trains are fine but after the Dublin flight lands the only train you can get (presuming there's no flight delays) gets you in after 12 with 3 or 4 changes, so for little bit extra it's worth getting the taxi. will prob get the train back, and the return flight from zurich is late so you'd get a few hours in on whatever day you'd be going home.
    Yeah, seems limited enough piste wise but that's ok, have moved away from the mega resorts in the last few years and hope to tip around in the off/side piste for a few days. the laub is calling me but not sure if i'm competent enough to do it alone, we'll see. might hire a guide for a few hours to get to know the lie of the land.
    hope that pass works out for you, they can be hard enough to get sometimes.

I'd be inclined to get a guide on the year that's in it, I'm sure the terrain will be reasonably safe but avalanche risk has been high this year and you're probably better safe than sorry. I imagine it's the kind of route that's very popular and gets tracked out very quickly, even mogulled, so you'll probably be able to see where to go easy enough. Also the kind of route that is probably only really worth it with fresh cold powder. You might get lucky with powder, but it won't stay cold for long in March!

• Advertisement

I should of course point out that I say all the above as someone who's never been near the fecking resort so probably shouldn't say it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

PM me am I will make sure you are looked after! 40cm of fresh each night for the last 2 days

PM me am I will make sure you are looked after! 40cm of fresh each night for the last 2 days

I should of course point out that I say all the above as someone who's never been near the fecking resort so probably shouldn't say it at all.

yeah, not a good year for the avalanches so would be thinking that way alright. ood point though that come March the temperatures will be a good bit higher and the snow not hanging around. time will tell but hopefully the current weather patterns will continue until the night before we get there!!!

• Advertisement

Welcome back fattes. But you can fcuk right back off if you're just going to post jealousy inducing stuff for the rest of my irish confined winter.

Fattes wrote: »

Nice!!! I've been keeping a close eye on the reports from their website but i was having trouble believing the reports due to their classness! I'll PM you when I figure out how to do it!

edit, figured it!

yeah, not a good year for the avalanches so would be thinking that way alright. ood point though that come March the temperatures will be a good bit higher and the snow not hanging around. time will tell but hopefully the current weather patterns will continue until the night before we get there!!!

There is normally loads of snow here in March, and good powder to be had as there is nobody here.

148.. I pulled out of a race for that yesterday!! I made the right choice

Nice!!! I've been keeping a close eye on the reports from their website but i was having trouble believing the reports due to their classness! I'll PM you when I figure out how to do it!

edit, figured it!

PM SENT let me know if I can help with anything

Today

First tracks and light this am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

^Wow, that's a fabulous photo!!

First tracks and light this am

looks class, time needs to move forward quickly so I can get out there

loads of lifts closed in engelberg today, that can only be a good thing (for those of us not there at the minute)!

loads of lifts closed in engelberg today, that can only be a good thing (for those of us not there at the minute)!

Don't be getting excited high winds today!! Even at the village it was pretty gusty never mind at 3,000
    Meters!!

Big dump due tonight and tomorrow! Even Bruni was so windy it was unbearable today! Down day for me apartment cleaned skis serviced the glamour

• Advertisement

Today

doesn't look like a well worn trail there!

looks like quiet little Engelberg is getting a bit more notice!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/powder-your-nose-1.1682079

looks like quiet little Engelberg is getting a bit more notice!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/powder-your-nose-1.1682079

Please nooooo!!! When you get here I will bring you down to it

Pretty ****e journalism nearly all of the off piste here requires a guide or some knowledge or you will end up in a cravesse or on a cliff with no way out!!

Yeah I was really surprised at that. On the other hand its clear the author has actually been skiing before which makes a pleasant change from the usual crap which passes for skiing feature pieces in papers.

Yeah I was really surprised at that. On the other hand its clear the author has actually been skiing before which makes a pleasant change from the usual crap which passes for skiing feature pieces in papers.

They may also be blind, AVI beacons are standard on nearly every person on Engelberg, to the point where 99% of people here are rocking ABS bags, and the holy trinity of Avi protection.

You can spot people that are not regulars here by the fact they are not wearing them

http://youtu.be/hq3Z5_5r9Mg

The Laub this weekend

And well today

http://youtu.be/hq3Z5_5r9Mg

The Laub this weekend

i cannot freaking wait

• Advertisement