Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Westendorf

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Russman wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to have been a vintage (or even half vintage) snow year for Austria. Friends of mine are just back from Ski Welt and were talking about all the artificial snow. Hopefully the odds are good for a decent year next year, surely they can't have 2 bad ones back to back !!:)

You're right, it's been an incredibly frustrating snow year!! It started out so well, conditions in early Dec were fantastic- and to be fair that good base is what has held the pistes in such good condition for the rest of the season. I have truly been so impressed with how they've managed the artificial snow for the season though- it's been really really great, but the lack of off-piste for most of the season has been a killer!

Aanyhoo, it is what it is- we've been spoiled for the last few years and will hopefully be back to normal next year. And in the meantime, there's still 3 weeks of season left, yahoo!! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

fannymagee wrote: »
    You're right, it's been an incredibly frustrating snow year!! It started out so well, conditions in early Dec were fantastic- and to be fair that good base is what has held the pistes in such good condition for the rest of the season. I have truly been so impressed with how they've managed the artificial snow for the season though- it's been really really great, but the lack of off-piste for most of the season has been a killer!

Aanyhoo, it is what it is- we've been spoiled for the last few years and will hopefully be back to normal next year. And in the meantime, there's still 3 weeks of season left, yahoo!! :-)

What would a "normal" year be like ? Snow down to the villages all season ?

Wonder did they suffer with bookings/numbers etc this year because of the snow or lack of ?

I'm conscious we're in the Westendorf thread, and I' not an expert on Westendorf in particular, but I can comment on the SkiWelt conditions.

Normally I would take it for granted that there'll be full piste coverage and good off-piste from say the week before Christmas until early March. Before and after that is anyone's guess, but it's generally good right up until end of season. The fact that the biggest local event of the season is planned for March 15th says a lot!! They know it will be low on tourists and still good skiing conditions.

I don't think the bookings have been affected by it- not visibly anyway! It's been a busy season, and still lots coming for Paddy's, which is officially off-season.

I was in London on Monday and the sun was splitting the stones, back in Dublin today and it's lovely sunshine- I can understand how it's hard to think of good piste conditions in this weather!! But it's lovely spring skiing conditions, I can't wait to get back out there!! Will hopefully get to Westendorf on Friday too so will post a pic from there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

We arrived in Westendorf last night. Great day today, but I have to admit I've never skied slush in a white-out before! Looking forward to sunshine tomorrow

Westendorf today :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

FM, based on your living out there, is there any major difference between Westendorf and Soll in terms of suitability for a group of beginners ? Much of a muchness or does one tick more boxes than the other ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭trashcan

fannymagee wrote: »
    Westendorf today :-)

Wow. Looks great. I wanna go back :( Whereabouts is that Fanny ?

Trashcan, here's the landmark:

And Russman it's much of a muchness, but (obviously!) I'd lean more towards recommending Soll, if only from a social perspective! And also the lower slopes of Soll tend to hold their snow a bit better, given that they're North facing... But either way, there's plenty to keep beginners happy in both resorts :-)

Advertisement