Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed door

Options
  • 28-05-2010 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭

So our shed door is really shabby looking and it badly needs to be changed. We were considering getting a new one but our family is pretty strapped for cash at the moment.. :/

I'm looking for some advice.

A) Should we just sand down our current door and repaint it? Did I mention it's the same shed door that was there when my parents moved into the house? (Almost 30 years ago!). Varnish vs. Paint?

B) Make an attempt at building a new one! Myself and my Dad have little to no Carpentry experience and don't really have much tools except for the basics. Looking at the door it doesn't seem exceedingly difficult to construct one though!

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

What type of door is it Danger?

A simple ledged and braced door as below:
    external-knotty-ledged-braced-2219-391_medium.jpg

Or a more substancial framed ledged and braced door?:
    Framed-Ledged-and-Braced-Gate_large.jpg

If either of the above (especially the first one) then depending on how bad a condition its in it might be just a simple case of replacing some damaged boards etc. If you could get a few pics up that'd be of immense help to us.

I'd say if you can salvage it, salvage it, wont take all the much knowledge or tools to do. Just take it down, lay it flat and work away. As for the finish, go with paint, but apply properly, ie sand/clean it well down first then prime it, undercoat and finally top coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

What type of door is it Danger?

A simple ledged and braced door as below:

Or a more substancial framed ledged and braced door?:

If either of the above (especially the first one) then depending on how bad a condition its in it might be just a simple case of replacing some damaged boards etc. If you could get a few pics up that'd be of immense help to us.

I'd say if you can salvage it, salvage it, wont take all the much knowledge or tools to do. Just take it down, lay it flat and work away. As for the finish, go with paint, but apply properly, ie sand/clean it well down first then prime it, undercoat and finally top coat.

Looks more like the simple one! Well I would consider salvaging the door if it wasn't so old. At that age I reckon we'd be better off replacing it?

What I didn't explain was about the frame etc. It's a concrete shed with two of those wooden doors attached to a frame. One side o the frame is starting to come loose and it's probably just going to fall down some day! I'd have no problem making the actual doors, but it's getting the frame up would be the problem. I'd have no idea how to do it, or even how to take it down!

I'll try to post pics if that would help..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Danger781 wrote: »
    Looks more like the simple one! Well I would consider salvaging the door if it wasn't so old. At that age I reckon we'd be better off replacing it?

What I didn't explain was about the frame etc. It's a concrete shed with two of those wooden doors attached to a frame. One side o the frame is starting to come loose and it's probably just going to fall down some day! I'd have no problem making the actual doors, but it's getting the frame up would be the problem. I'd have no idea how to do it, or even how to take it down!

I'll try to post pics if that would help..

Frame can be taken out with the aid of a nailbar, a hacksaw, an angle grinder etc. If its 30 years old id imagine its nailed so its easy to remove.
    When doing the frame all ye need to do is measure the opening, Build your frame out of 30mm thick treated timber the widht of the timber should be the same widht of the wall. Now remember to leave a bit of space to level it and pace it. If your opening is level enough then just leave 15-20mm all round the frame.
    Now install the frame, pick the side that the hinges will sit and fix that side first remember to pack untill level. Now level the top of the frame and fix the opposite side. The distance in between the two stiles(uprights) should remain the same all the way down. Once thats done build the door the that size( take about 7mm off the height and 4mm off the widht.
    Fit your door. If the frame is off by to much you may have to plain the doors edge on the lock side.

That is one method. The way id do it is id build the door(make sure its square) If you dont have a large one you can make one out if timber. Cut three pieces of timber 1 at 5ft, 4 ft and 3ft screw 3 and four together at 90 degrees now screw the 5 ft on top of them on the diagnal to make a triangle. Its called a site square(may have explained that badly so google it if ye need one, you may not)
    Anyway as I was saying after the door is made Id fit hinge side of the frame, then hinge the door on that side. Then you can fix the rest of the frame around the door easy.
    Probly explained this badly but just utube it if ye need to im sure there is a video up there somewhere. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I'm absolutely useless but actually took on a similar job myself and it turned out alright, better than door that was there which was rotted to bits and just pure unsightly.

I didn't take out the frame.

I bought T&G boards in B&Q and made up a simple ledged and braced door.

I got the hinges there as well, they're exposed across the front.

I made idiotic mistake though of having the ledges spread the weight to the lock side, then looked at my trusty "DIY manual" after the event, but just moved them around then.

Be advised that they are supposed to spread the weight to the hinge side!

Depending on location and required strength you may need something a bit heavier.

Advertisement