Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GS300 brake problems. advice needed

Options
  • 22-05-2007 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

boring background bit - if you have some knowledge, i could really use your opinion.

a few thousand miles ago my dad got all new discs and pads as a result of warped old discs in his '00 GS300 Sport. they were fully overhauled and all the common seizing parts were seen to and greased, so they seem to working 100%.

he got spurious new discs and pads all round and had his brother fit them. the car was ultra smooth and quiet for a few days but slowly it started getting wobbly when driving again. it also pulled to the left under braking and the wobble goes crazy. it also developed a graunching noise from the driver side. the noise can only be compared to the creaking noise you get from the pedals of an old bike and it is definitely cyclical as the noise slows down as the car slows down. it has been there for weeks now, without changing or getting louder or quieter. we know also that lexus brakes sometimes rattle because they're a soft point in all of them and there is also a rattle on rough roads but we don't know if thats related to brakes or suspension.

his brother diagnosed the car as having warped new discs. he demonsrated this by removing the wheel, removing the pads and tightening the discs back on with the wheel nuts. as the discs rotated, you could not only see them wobble, you could see that the 'walls' of the disc were actually thicker and thinner in places. he rang the motor factors and they agreed to take the discs back and replace them foc.

however, he also diagnosed the cause of the graunch as being related to worn brake pad carriers and/ or their bolts. he re-assembled the car but left the carrier bolts loose. only slight wobble in steering, no more graunching and no more pulling to the left/ wobbling. he was happy with his diagnosis so he tightened the carrier bolts and the car returned to 'normal'.

now the question,
    chicken and egg- could the worn/ loose carriers cause the discs to warp or did the warped-from-new discs wear out the carriers? carriers are a big pile of doh-re-mi and if he doesn't fit them, will it warp his brand new discs again? if the discs were actually at fault from day one, and now he has another new set, will worn carriers be ok or should he replace them anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I have neevr heard of worn carriers warping discs. I have seen new discs that were poorly machined though, most likely your problem.

Worn carrier usually only cause noise but you'd be best to check with another Lexus mechanic for the inside story !

I assume whoever fitted these parts was qualified, and that they ensured the mounting areas were free of dirt/dust/rust and grime. A tiny spec of dirt can cause a disc to shimmy as 1mm near its centre could be 5mm at its outer edge where the pads touch. Also if the new discs were coated in machine oil for storage this shouldv'e been cleaned of carefully using white spirits etc..

These little things can make a difference !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

MercMad wrote:

I have neevr heard of worn carriers warping discs. I have seen new discs that were poorly machined

if the new discs were coated in machine oil for storage this shouldv'e been cleaned of carefully using white spirits etc..

it looks like they're poorly machined then. apparently the brakes are a soft point in the lexus to the extent that you must go to a big rigmarole to avoid them getting warped.

there goes nearly €500 for new brake bits. thanks for the help mercmad

Advertisement