Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New brake pads don't fit

Options
  • 18-04-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

I went to change the brake pads today on my 520d but the outer pads don't fit. I ordered them from Micks Garage and all the documentation points to them being the correct pads but the outer pad wont fit into the caliper, the distance between the 2 "wings" doesn't match the removed pads hence they don't slot into the caliper. These are the pads https://secure.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=3466520&pk=

Am i missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

Are they the same size at the base? As in the bit that's stuck to the pad. They have to be squeezed in a bit to get inor the piston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭xabi

guil wrote: »
    Are they the same size at the base? As in the bit that's stuck to the pad. They have to be squeezed in a bit to get inor the piston.

Yeah, same size at the base, it's just the 2 sticky out bits(not sure what they're called) that are too narrow to allow them into their final position. No amount of squeezing is going to make them fit, I would need to shave about 5mm of metal to make them fit.

This diagram might explain it better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

wrong pads or boxed wrong,only way of matching pads is a brake book.

http://www.apecbraking.co.uk/catalogue

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are they the same as the ones you took off?

• Advertisement

Are they the same as the ones you took off?

The inner pad is, the outer is apart from the gap shown in the diagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

Is it the extra bit on the back of the right pad from the micksgarage link you posted? if so you need to squeeze the 3 bits gotether and slide it into the caliper, they are so big to hold it in place.

guil wrote: »
    Is it the extra bit on the back of the right pad from the micksgarage link you posted? if so you need to squeeze the 3 bits gotether and slide it into the caliper, they are so big to hold it in place.

No, not that, it's the metal tabs on the attachment I posted.

inner and outer pads differ have you got 2 + 2 or boxed wrong,you cannot squeeze the body of pad to make it smaller,did you bother checking that apec link?

greasepalm wrote: »
    inner and outer pads differ have you got 2 + 2 or boxed wrong,you cannot squeeze the body of pad to make it smaller,did you bother checking that apec link?

I'm aware of all that, it's obvious they have been boxed wrong. Anyone sent anything back to micks garage before, will they want to charge me postage even though it seems it was their fault.

The APEC link shows me which pads I need if buying from APEC, Micks garage have a similar catalogue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

xabi wrote: »
    I'm aware of all that, it's obvious they have been boxed wrong. Anyone sent anything back to micks garage before, will they want to charge me postage even though it seems it was their fault.

The APEC link shows me which pads I need if buying from APEC, Micks garage have a similar catalogue

The last time i ordered from micks garage, it was for a replacement class mirror. it was the wrong run ,so they sent replacement, never even ask to send wrong one back still have it, but then again it was only value at €13.

Customer Satisfaction is a cornerstone of our business. We want you to be comfortable with every aspect of your experience purchasing from us, and we will make every effort to ensure you are a happy customer. If the goods are faulty, contact our customer service team and we will work to quickly replace the faulty item(s) for you. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, or you have ordered the wrong item, you can return your order to MicksGarage for a full refund (Returns must be unused, in the state you received them, and in the original packaging) within 365 days, that’s one full year! For the first 30 days we will issue a full refund of your purchase. After 30 days and up to 365 days we are happy to offer a credit voucher for the FULL purchase price to be used on MicksGarage.com at your discretion. That is one year after receipt of your order to return it! No questions asked! We believe that in order to have the best possible shopping experience, our customers should not have to worry about buying from us. We are the car parts experts and we are here to help. So if for whatever reason you're not happy with your purchase, please contact our excellent customer service team, who will be happy to help you through the returns process. We are available 7 days a week to assist you!

(Please note: for returned goods that have been used we will be unable to provide a refund, (no open blister packs, electronic sensors, please).

If the parcel is visibly damaged upon delivery, DO NOT SIGN FOR THE ORDER. If upon opening the parcel the purchased product is damaged, please follow the steps outlined below to take advantage of our no hassle returns policy.

Please do not send your purchase back to the manufacturer.
    For 365 day return policy, there are no special catches or exceptions. All we ask is that you send the items back to us in resalable condition. Please take care to package the item(s) carefully; goods must arrive in an unused condition for the refund to be issued. If you return goods that have been used we will be unable to provide a refund, (no open blister packs, electronic sensors, please). If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact our customer service team and they will be happy to help. Once your return is received and inspected by the fulfilment centre (usually within 72 hours of receipt), we will work to expedite your refund or voucher as soon as possible, this could take up to 7 days depending on your original method of payment. In case of a voucher, we will email a unique voucher code to you for use on our site. The voucher has no expiration date!

Returns within 30 days.
    MicksGarage will refund the full purchase price of the returned item(s). (Again, Returns must be unused, in the state you received them, and in the original packaging)

Returns from 30-365 days.
    MicksGarage will issue a unique voucher code for the full purchase price of the returned item(s) to be used on Micksgarage.com. The voucher has no expiration date! As part of our 365-day return policy, all returns will need to be received and processed by our fulfilment centre within 365 days of purchase. (And again, Returns must be unused, in the state you received them, and in the original packaging)

Questions? Concerns? Just need to talk to someone?
    Our excellent customer service team is here and ready to help. You can call, email, or even use our live chat on MicksGarage.com

Warranty

All warranty claims will be dealt with on a "like for like" replacement basis only and where the warranty is deemed to be genuine. It is assumed that when you purchase any electronic component or sensor that the vehicle fault was properly diagnosed. Any electronic items that are deemed faulty must be accompanied by a diagnostic reading from the appropriate diagnostics equipment showing the original fault code in the vehicle (so please ensure you have a copy of this from your mechanic/fitter). We will not accept a warranty claim for electronic items where this procedure is not followed. All warranty items must be returned for inspection on receipt of a valid Returns Authorisation Number.

Fitting

It is the responsibility of you, the user, to ensure that all parts are of correct application before painting or fitting.

All parts must always be installed by a person qualified to fit them, any attempt to fit parts where this is not the case will void the warranty, please also note that all dimensions supplied must be carefully noted by you, while we will always endeavour to help where we can, we cannot always guarantee that a specific part will fit a specific application

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭charlieharper

There are 2 types of Brake Pads in the BMW 520D. Go to this link,

http://195.59.3.154/mintexonline/WebForms/frmMainMenu.aspx

Type in your reg and you can look at the diagrams for the correct one's.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

xabi wrote: »
    ... Anyone sent anything back to micks garage before, will they want to charge me postage even though it seems it was their fault?

Yes they will take them back if the are in the original condition. If you've scratched the backplates or marked them in any way while trying to get them to fit they will probably reject them. You must contact them first and they will give you a code which must be written on the outside of the return package. If everything is OK you will get your refund pretty quickly but you will bear the cost of the return postage.

I had to return a set of spark plugs where they listed the wrong type for my car. It was most definitely their fault in this case but I still had to pay the postage. As you put it correctly, I had to pay for their mistake. I don't bother with Mick's Garage anymore.

There are 2 types of Brake Pads in the BMW 520D. Go to this link,

http://195.59.3.154/mintexonline/WebForms/frmMainMenu.aspx

Type in your reg and you can look at the diagrams for the correct one's.

Thanks for that, the 2 types are for increased payload or not, they told me on the phone that my car doesn't have increased payload but after measuring the diameter of the disc it seems I have the increased payload, hence the wrong pads. I assume the increased payload is efficient dynamics model.

Anyway, they are going back tomorrow and I'll probably pay the bit extra and get them locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnDx

Check this, might find useful
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qQjzyUaQfc

wonder when making that video safety was in mind,not see axle support stand in case jack collapses.

probably closed as its a bank holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnDx

greasepalm wrote: »
    wonder when making that video safety was in mind,not see axle support stand in case jack collapses.

probably closed as its a bank holiday
    Thats Americans for ya, mad and off their heads.

Advertisement