Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at a panasonic tv - question about saorview

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭AndersKP

euser1984 wrote: »
    Can I put a saorview aerial into this, and then freeview (including english channels) over the internet as it only has a dvd-t connector.....Thanks.

This is the tv - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BHU9CYC/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=home-theater

This is a review so it has more details including an image of the back of tv - http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-l42e6b-201303102720.htm

I am living in the west of the country so I would need to get a dish installed for freesat otherwise.

I was thinking of getting a dedicated smart tv box, rather than using the manufacturers own system...

Hi,

The TV has a DVBT2 tuner that will pick up Saorview and/or freeview. You could have both rooftop aerials mixed by a distribution amp and the Tv will tune both together.

Without DNS changes the iPlayer and Uk smart features will be unavailable in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Would you not consider a combi Saorview/Freesat box? The dish will be a one-off cost and there's no subscription as with Sky. The Triax TSC144 will do everything for you - it takes the signal from both the aerial and the dish and you can set the channel lists to suit your tastes, including up to 8 favourites lists which would allow separate members of the household to define their own list of favourite channels. All you need then is a HDMI cable to connect it to the TV and and you're in business. That would allow you to buy a lower spec. TV (any decent model with 'HD' in the specs. will do) so the savings would contribute to the cost of the dish and Triax box.

Any of your local TV installers should be able to supply and fit the dish and Triax box. Currently the TSC144 is the only combi (terrestrial and satellite) box which is Saorview approved so if anyone tries to sell you anything else, run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

I've always found there to be a really poor audio signal when using these boxes but maybe it's due to scart? Will the problem be ok using hdmi?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

euser1984 wrote: »
    I've always found there to be a really poor audio signal when using these boxes but maybe it's due to scart? Will the problem be ok using hdmi?

A friend of mine has that Triax box, I helped him recently sort out the channel lists and the sound was fine.

A poor quality (bad shielding) SCART cable and local interference from motors or other magnetic fields could lead to poor audio quality, you won't encounter that with HDMI which is a digital signal. Don't go buying any of those stupidly priced cables, anything up to about €12 is fine, cheaper online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Stitchy

AndersKP wrote: »
    The TV has a DVBT2 tuner that will pick up Saorview and/or freeview.

Saorview doesn't use DVB-T2. Freeview HD does, as well as the SD "NImux" of RTE & TG4 broadcast from 3 NI transmitter sites.
    AndersKP wrote: »
    You could have both rooftop aerials mixed by a distribution amp and the Tv will tune both together.

Not in the west of Ireland (location given in OP) you couldn't.
    coylemj wrote: »
    Currently the TSC144 is the only combi (terrestrial and satellite) box which is Saorview approved

It's the TSC114 & it is not the only Saorview approved combi. Choice may be more a matter of badging than anything else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement