Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quern

Options
  • 23-01-2014 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

anyone have a quern i need one for my collection of farm items
    liike an old one

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

anyone have a quern i need one for my collection of farm items
    liike an old one

This is not a collector's forum. Querns, in all their forms, belong in recognised museums and not in the hands of individual collectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭randomperson12

ive just posted it because the clollectors fourom is ignorant and its sopposed to be for collecters but says to use adverrt.ie doesnt make sense i post it in the collecter section again m,kay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

ive just posted it because the clollectors fourom is ignorant and its sopposed to be for collecters but says to use adverrt.ie doesnt make sense i post it in the collecter section again m,kay

I have just seen your post here and would advise against posting in the Collectables & Antiques forum again. You already have a question open there and our forum charter is quite clear on how we deal with wanted/for sale items so if you don't like it, don't post, Very simple.

Sorry to highjack this, Slowburner. Can I ask, is the possession of a quern actually illegal as per the National Monument Act? In which case I would delete the thread in the C7A forum as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Preusse wrote: »
    Sorry to highjack this, Slowburner. Can I ask, is the possession of a quern actually illegal as per the National Monument Act? In which case I would delete the thread in the C7A forum as well.

Under the Monuments Acts it is an offence not to report the discovery of an archaeological object to a designated museum within 96 hours.
    Failure to report the discovery is an offence in itself.
    It is also illegal to be in possession of an unreported archaeological object or to sell or other wise dispose of such an object.
    The application of the term 'archaeological object' is extremely broad and is in fact, almost all-encompassing.
    A quern stone - of any type - would very definitely fall within the definition.

So given all the above, the op in this thread is openly promoting illegal activities, and that cannot be condoned.
    Appropriate action has been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

slowburner wrote: »
    It is also illegal to be in possession of an unreported archaeological object or to sell or other wise dispose of such an object.

I'm probably being a bit thick here but what implications does this have for antiques in private ownership?

There is obviously a huge trade in antiques; and as Slowburner mentioned, the definition of an archaeological object is quite broad.. so are antique collector/dealers required to report every object that they acquire/sell?

• Advertisement

pueblo wrote: »
    I'm probably being a bit thick here but what implications does this have for antiques in private ownership?

There is obviously a huge trade in antiques; and as Slowburner mentioned, the definition of an archaeological object is quite broad.. so are antique collector/dealers required to report every object that they acquire/sell?
    Fair question, and the answer is that it's simply a question of provenance. If the provenance is genuine there should be no problem.
    The same principle applies to antiques and antique dealers are well aware of the fact that sound provenance adds considerably to the value of an antique. Antiques are often passed down from generation to generation or bought and sold with a reputable paper trail.
    From the archaeology perspective, the idea is that people are actively discouraged from digging or searching for archaeological objects, primarily on the basis that damage would be done to the surrounding ground and that valuable information would be lost as a consequence.

Advertisement