Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belkin router - flashing orange light.

• 10-06-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭

Without changing the configuration my Belkin router has a flashing orange light beside the globe icon.

Have reset the router, same issue occurs.

When i connect directly with a network cable to the router i have the same issue.

I am able to connect directly to the modem,

I have restored the settings to factory default and this does not resolve the issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Do not underestimate the power of google... the answer is in the manual for your router / modem, I found it on the very first result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

fionny wrote: »
    Do not underestimate the power of google... the answer is in the manual for your router / modem, I found it on the very first result.

Googled ready, no luck in the first ten or so results.

Feel free to prove me wrong though.

If you give me the exact model I can get you the manual for it but this result for the N+ Wireless router probably applies.

Top Result: https://www.google.ie/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=11&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=flashing+amber+light+on+belkin+router

Basically depending on which light is flashing it can mean:

Wireless - Computer Status (computer icon with radio lines out) = "Problem with wireless computer connecting properly to the Router"

Wired - Computer Status (just computer icon) = "Problem with wired computer
    connecting properly to the Router"

USB = Unsupport USB device plugged in

Modem Status (modem icon) = Problem with modem

Internet Status (globe icon) = Problem with connecting to the
    Internet

Thanks, I know what the error means, I just need to know how to fix it.

Well then could you please tell us which model router you have?

If its the internet light it could mean a conflict in IP address, etc... as you seem to be able to use the net it is probably something silly. What settings do you have configured.

• Advertisement

It's a Belkin F6D4230-4.

Had wpa security on it, worked connecting wirelessly to four devices for months with no issues.

Since the weekend I have my flashing globe on the router, connecting directly to modem works fine.

Connecting either wired or wirelessly to router dies not work.

Have rebooted everything, assigned new addresses to devices via dhcp, turned off all devices.

Have done a reset the router both physically and via the GUI.

After resetting the router have tried connecting using the defaults, eg no security ( apart from belkin pin number )

Okay first step double check connection type:

Login to Router (should be 192.168.2.1 by default)
    Goto Internet / WAN tab and select Connection and double check its set to Dynamic?

Cheers for the quick response.

Yep, it's Dynamic, I had assigned it a static ip but no luck.

Forgot to say I had also changed the ip address of the router.

Okay that might be the issue,

can you plug directly into the modem and do and IP config and make sure the default gateway on the modem is not the same as the router ip you set?

The connection is back to dynamic, but give me a second to connect to modem.

The Gateway has a different address.

Gateway - 192.168.1.1

Router address - 192.168.2.1 / 192.168.2.101

• Advertisement

Okay on the router try going to Internet / WAN - DNS Section

Untick Automatic and instead enter.

and

These are the Google DNS servers (https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/)

or you could if you preferred try OpenDNS also.

Cheers,

Just an update from my side, reset router again. Router GUI told me I had Internet access. When I connect laptop wirelessly the modem might now flashes, and I cannot browse web.

Can you make sure the Laptop is set to dynamically get the IP?

Same issue I'm afraid,Laptop IP is set to automatic.

Could you temporarily change the Wireless password to ensure that some other machine isnt trying to claim the IP of the modem?

Done that as well, the addresses are also assigned via dhcp and the router address is outside the allocation range.

Addresses assigned with DHCP only works if people dont already have a Static configured on their computer.

I assume the modem is a UPC one given the fact you are using a seperate router? If so what one is it?

It's a Cisco EPC3925.

Can you log in to it then and put the routers address in the DMZ so it isnt subject to the firewall on the modem also.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

fionny wrote: »

When in Doubt RTFM , or google

• Advertisement

mach1982 wrote: »

To be fair this time, it was me who misread the question being asked. So sorry about that :)

Edit, only discovering now that the UPC modem is also a router ( only got it a month ago ).

Dont think the new modem is my issue as it worked for almost a month with no issues.

I`ll use the Cisco box for the next while to see how i get on.

Cheers for the help btw.

Edit, only discovering now that the UPC modem is also a router ( only got it a month ago ).

Dont think the new modem is my issue as it worked for almost a month with no issues.

I`ll use the Cisco box for the next while to see how i get on.

Cheers for the help btw.

I wouldnt rule it out, sometimes UPC roll out updates to the modem which can reset things and to be honest you should have the router in the DMZ anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mach1982 wrote: »

Loose the attititude, It is clear from OPs previous posts he has used Google and consulted the manual.

Advertisement