Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Venice holding referendum on secession from Italy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It's not "one of the most important Italian newspapers", it's a regional paper (hint: it's in the name). Of course, even regional papers can be well regarded throughout Italy, but honestly this one wouldn't be one of them.

I'd agree. I'm actually a little perplexed as to why people here are taking the entire thing so seriously.

Not so seriously, I think. It's just an interesting straw in the wind.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Not so seriously, I think. It's just an interesting straw in the wind.
    Not really though. As I already pointed out, separatist politics are nothing new in Italy - there was even a 'declaration of independence' by the north in the 1990's.

So it's really only a 'straw in the wind' if you've only started paying attention to Italian politics recently; in other words, not a terribly good one. Anyone who's been observing it for decades would just shrug their shoulders - which is what the articles that corkleo linked to essentially do.

Not really though. As I already pointed out, separatist politics are nothing new in Italy - there was even a 'declaration of independence' by the north in the 1990's.

So it's really only a 'straw in the wind' if you've only started paying attention to Italian politics recently; in other words, not a terribly good one. Anyone who's been observing it for decades would just shrug their shoulders - which is what the articles that corkleo linked to essentially do.

Neither Catalan nor Scottish separatism is exactly new either.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Neither Catalan nor Scottish separatism is exactly new either.
    Neither are they the same. Northern Italian separatism (with the possible exception of Aldo Adige) is quite a different beast politically. There's actually very little real support for it in reality and has instead been largely about greater autonomy, in particular where it comes to the burden of paying for the south.

This is not to say that there are fringe groups in the regions that want to break away and are even willing to use militant means to do so, but such groups exist everywhere and to think that this is a serious possibility would be to grossly misunderstand the rather theatrical nature of how Italian politics works.

Neither are they the same. Northern Italian separatism (with the possible exception of Aldo Adige) is quite a different beast politically. There's actually very little real support for it in reality and has instead been largely about greater autonomy, in particular where it comes to the burden of paying for the south.

This is not to say that there are fringe groups in the regions that want to break away and are even willing to use militant means to do so, but such groups exist everywhere and to think that this is a serious possibility would be to grossly misunderstand the rather theatrical nature of how Italian politics works.

To be honest, I'm not sure how realistic Catalan or Scottish independence is either - nor, in the case of Scotland, whether there's even majority support for it.

I admit to not ever having taken the idea of the "Serenissima Commando" even slightly seriously. They sound rather less dangerous than Scotland's "Settlerwatch".

cordially,
    Scofflaw

To be honest, I'm not sure how realistic Catalan or Scottish independence is either - nor, in the case of Scotland, whether there's even majority support for it.
    Where Venetian and Catalan or Scottish independence would differ is that the latter two actually do have broad support - not necessarily majorities and neither may either be realistic - but they do have broad support. Actual independence doesn't really have that much support in places like the Veneto, and support for these causes are in reality support for greater autonomy, using the theatrical threat of independence to achieve this aim.

There's a history of this in Italian politics (militant fringe groups aside) and it's not the first or last time that this strategy will be used to rattle the gilded cage of the political elite in Rome.
    I admit to not ever having taken the idea of the "Serenissima Commando" even slightly seriously. They sound rather less dangerous than Scotland's "Settlerwatch".
    Serious enough to start a thread on the subject though. My attitude to these events are instead "meh", while seemingly the Italian press is more bemused by how foreigners are taking it all so seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 corkleo

It's not "one of the most important Italian newspapers", it's a regional paper (hint: it's in the name). Of course, even regional papers can be well regarded throughout Italy, but honestly this one wouldn't be one of them.

Well, as I said, this is the regional part of the newspaper 'Corriere della sera' which is the first paper for sold copies in Italy (or maybe the second, I don't recall).
    Corriere del veneto has a separate staff from the national edition tho, that's true :)

corkleo wrote: »
    Well, as I said, this is the regional part of the newspaper 'Corriere della sera' which is the first paper for sold copies in Italy (or maybe the second, I don't recall).
    Corriere del veneto has a separate staff from the national edition tho, that's true :)
    Ahhh... fair enough. Must be why I'd never heard of it, although I used to read its parent paper.

Advertisement