Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Fabia

Options
  • 14-01-2012 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

Would the Fabia be a decent alternative to the VW Polo? To mee its more less the same mechanically but alot cheaper to buy.
    Was talking to someone with a Polo already and wanting to upgrade but finding it hard to justify the extra cost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Would the Fabia be a decent alternative to the VW Polo? To mee its more less the same mechanically but alot cheaper to buy.
    Was talking to someone with a Polo already and wanting to upgrade but finding it hard to justify the extra cost

New or used ?

It is the same car more or less..... abeit terrible Skoda suspension and rock hard seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If it's new the seats aren't too bad these days, sat in one in the garage today. They've gotten bloody expensive though. It was almost 20K for 75 brake 1.6 diesel with decent ish spec, i.e. the essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would be brand new.
    This person has the 1.6 TDI in the Polo and its great but im thinking the 1.2TSI is worth a look because its much cheaper and with diesel and petrol at much the same price, im not sure its worth it with 15,000km per year mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Buying a petrol new in my opinion is mad. It'll depreciate like a rover once its bought and re sale in the current "everything has to be diesel" environment would be tough. Is the polo giving trouble or do they just fancy a change?

To answer your points, had a Fabia 1.2 years back. For a small engine in what is a heavy hatch there was good pull. The TSI is much quicker now... All in all, not a terribly bad buy.

No the Polo is fantastic, they just want to keep the years up to date.
    The petrols do seem to depreciate hard but om not convinced by the 1.2 tdi and the 1.6 tdi doesnt seem to be available in the Polo so was having a look at the Fabia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm forever skeptical of the 1.2Tsi. Buckets of power from such a small displacement makes me wonder how reliable it is in the long run.

I'd go with the Tdi if it were my money to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The petrol & diesel arguments will be solved big time in the next few months. Diesel is forecasted to jump ahead by as much as 8c a litre. That will change the economics of buying diesel. What was feasible with 20k+ kms per year will now be 50k+ kms per year. There's actually a good article about this on the Skoda website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

BX 19 wrote: »
    I'm forever skeptical of the 1.2Tsi. Buckets of power from such a small displacement makes me wonder how reliable it is in the long run.

I'd go with the Tdi if it were my money to be honest.

Some of the 1.2 TSis are only 85 brake. These will make up the majority of sales. The higher powered one is only 105 brake. Not a huge amount of power tbh.

I'd agree I'd selling soon again go diesel. I've driven the 1.2 tdi in the roomster and it's fine for day to day driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

No the Polo is fantastic, they just want to keep the years up to date.
    The petrols do seem to depreciate hard but om not convinced by the 1.2 tdi and the 1.6 tdi doesnt seem to be available in the Polo so was having a look at the Fabia

I was told the stopped importing the 1.6TDI Highline (and all 1.6TDI's) in late 2010 as you could just get a basic Golf with the same engine for a little bit more...........nobody in the new car market seems to care about the kit they get though only size

• Registered Users Posts: 51,149 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seat Ibiza is the same car as the Polo and Fabia, Ibiza is just getting a facelift for 2012 too. I would not limit myself to VAG products though. Fiesta, new Yaris and Suzuki Swift are to name but a few. Then you have the likes of the Hyundai i20 and new Kia Rio with their long warrenties.

I don't buy into the "buy the diesel as you won't be able to sell the petrol model" when it comes to superminis. Most people looking at these size cars don't use them for commuting and don't rack up big mileage on them, meaning they are not going to pay a huge premium for a second hand diesel one. Petrol superminis are also very economical as it is.

• Advertisement

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I was told the stopped importing the 1.6TDI Highline (and all 1.6TDI's) in late 2010 as you could just get a basic Golf with the same engine for a little bit more...........nobody in the new car market seems to care about the kit they get though only size
    As far as I know, it was only the Highline spec was stopped in 2010 but a dealer could get you one on special order. Now though they do seem to have stopped it altogether.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Seat Ibiza is the same car as the Polo and Fabia, Ibiza is just getting a facelift for 2012 too. I would not limit myself to VAG products though. Fiesta, new Yaris and Suzuki Swift are to name but a few. Then you have the likes of the Hyundai i20 and new Kia Rio with their long warrenties.

I don't buy into the "buy the diesel as you won't be able to sell the petrol model" when it comes to superminis. Most people looking at these size cars don't use them for commuting and don't rack up big mileage on them, meaning they are not going to pay a huge premium for a second hand diesel one. Petrol superminis are also very economical as it is.
    Some of those will depreciate very quickly. The new yaris looks nice but the 1.3 petrol or 1.4 d4d bump up the price alot. Fiesta is a nice car but seems smaller than some rivals

• Registered Users Posts: 51,149 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As far as I know, it was only the Highline spec was stopped in 2010 but a dealer could get you one on special order. Now though they do seem to have stopped it altogether.

Some of those will depreciate very quickly. The new yaris looks nice but the 1.3 petrol or 1.4 d4d bump up the price alot. Fiesta is a nice car but seems smaller than some rivals

If they are worried about depreciation then they are daft for buying a brand new car in the first place. The moment they drive out the showroom door it looses alot of money. But most small cars in general hold there value pretty well as they are cheap to run. If they want to limit depreciation then buying brand new and trading up every 2 years is not the best way to go about it.

BTW a Fiesta is no smaller than a Polo or Fabia. They are spacious on the inside for their size.

Advertisement