Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vehicle reg Cert not sent on by seller

Options
  • 15-10-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I purchased a second hand car a few weeks back and cannot get the seller to send in the registration cert to get name changed. Every time I ring he says he will do it the following day or numerous stories as to how he never got around to it. Where do I stand now or how can I get him to send it on to the Registration Centre. Can the Gardai do anything or is it a solicitor job to chase. Any beneficial help from someone who has been in the same position would be appreciated so that I can try an alternative option as the nice way seems to be a waste of time.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

you can get a declaration from a solicitor and then buy a new log book from the motor tax office iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i know i shouldn't say this but...

get caught speeding by speeding camera's !!! :pac:

now seriously - check the car isint stolen or anything or give the car back and get your dosh back, cancel the entire deal

you have all the rights here, you did nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

When buying private, you should both sign there and then and stick it in the post together. If you didnt see a logbook when doing the deal, you were very foolish to hand over money. I hope you paid by cheque as at least there will be record. Dont be surprised if someone comes to take your car away anytime soon!
    If he was genuine, he would be running to get it changed as you could be putting speeding fines etc straight to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

right im gonna save everybody the hassle of posting

basically get something sorted quickly before the seller gets something else sorted.

he could have a spare key and take it back and you would be screwed.

he could claim the car was robbed and when they find you with it, your screwed again.

also the car might not have being his either and possibly robbed or taken from a relative without permission and not his to sell in the first place.

like the last poster correctly said you can record the cheque and if must also cancel the cheque completely and just give back the car.

keep us informed and good luck :)

oooh i forgot about the toll bridge, nice one bazz26, lets see how many times we can cross it in a day at €3 a pop that will go unpaid and also bring the original owner to court and put him in €1000's of debt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I hate this kind of laziness by the previous owner. How much effort does it take to drop a letter in the post? A few trips through the toll bridge or a few parking tickets might encourage them to get the finger out and post the damn thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement