Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

My doctor never told me a day to take Mtx. He told me to take it whatever day works best for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I can't change the day I'm taking the Mtx because she said that's the day all docs in Ireland prescribe Mtx, so they all know exactly when you took it in case of accident or whatever.

Getting two doctors to do the same thing is hard enough. Getting every doctor in Ireland to agree on the same day would be some achievement.😀

I’ve seen methotrexate prescribed on every day of the week. The important thing is to take it on the same day each week and if changing to do so one day at a time. If you don’t have a card to say you are on methotrexate get one from your pharmacy and write the day on it. That will be plenty if are unfortunate enough to have an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

My doctor never told me a day to take Mtx. He told me to take it whatever day works best for me!

That's strange, rheumy had told me the same as the GP today.

Maybe it's a new policy ?

Or maybe I just need to revert back to another GP as this is a new one and I was a bit disappointed overall at the outcome of today's visit. There seems to be little communication between services, I had been advised by bloods nurse and rheumy nurse to consult asap in that kind of situation, GP seemed surprised I should show up for anemia or a potential virus.:(

I'm always fine by the Thursday/Friday, well especially Friday after the Folic Acid I feel great, so that would sort my work problem altogether if I could change to taking it Wednesday evening. It's a bit ridiculous to impose a day like that, especially a start of the work week day.

echo beach wrote: »
    Getting two doctors to do the same thing is hard enough. Getting every doctor in Ireland to agree on the same day would be some achievement.😀

I’ve seen methotrexate prescribed on every day of the week. The important thing is to take it on the same day each week and if changing to do so one day at a time. If you don’t have a card to say you are on methotrexate get one from your pharmacy and write the day on it. That will be plenty if are unfortunate enough to have an accident.

I got a card and a little booklet.
    Thinking of gradually changing the day myself now. I could ring the rheumy nurse to discuss it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Same here. No-one has ever told me what day to take it.
    I know two other people who take it on different days.

I dont believe for one minute the story about someone needing to know when you took it, in the case of an accident. if you were in A&E after an accident, how would they know you are on MtX at all and even if they did know, would they really base a medical decision on some memo that said that everyone takes it on Mondays.

I have been to see many doctors over the years. No-one has ever asked me what day I take it, for any reason.

• Advertisement

I'm always fine by the Thursday/Friday, well especially Friday after the Folic Acid I feel great, so that would sort my work problem altogether if I could change to taking it Wednesday evening. It's a bit ridiculous to impose a day like that, especially a start of the work week day.

I hope it improves for you, its only been 4 weeks. Hang in there.

I was recently prescibed folic acid three times a week. I have been getting a lot of mouth ulcers and it might help.

If you think it helps, you could ask for a presciption for more folic acid ?

The Irish health system and ethics is so annoying on so many fronts. I'm so sick of being treated like an idiot. I had my son with me also, and on another issue to do with him, the GP pulled the wool over my eyes too, only this was something easily checked back at home, so now I have even more reasons to be annoyed at her.

She's definitely crossed off the list. There are 4 GPs in that practice, and the 2 female docs are now crossed off, thankfully I think the 2 male docs have a much more respectful and informative attitude.

edit : huskerdu thanks.
    Yeah, I thought maybe the GP would advise on more FA as well as iron, but she didn't even. No mention of other supplements which might help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Im 3 weeks into a strict no dairy, no wheat lifestyle. It's not easy, I've had to really alter my eating habits but I'm willing to give the diet thing one more try. Its strictly nuts, fruit, veg and a bit of meat and fish, and ive taken out all bread, eggs and any dairy that I ate (which was minimal) and all sweets, chocs and fizzy drinks, no beer or Guinness either.
    It's going fine, I live in the countryside so I don't have the options that I would have if living near a few health shops etc.
    I was hoping id see a little bit of a difference but if anything the P has got worse and I don't feel any better/worse. Clinging to the "has to get worse before it gets better" hope even though I know its early days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brevity

I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with Jordan Peterson but he was on the Joe Rogan podcast and he mentioned how his daughter suffered from a lot of auto immune disorders - RA being one of them. She was on heaps of medication by the time she was 17 and had to have replacement hip and ankle surgery. Anyway, she took it upon herself to look at her diet and has basically rid herself of the conditions. She then talked to Jordan about his diet. He suffered from psoriasis, acid reflux, gum disease and fatigue. Within a month of the diet he was feeling much better and most if not all his conditions had cleared up.

Here is her website and the diet that Jordan was on:

https://mikhailapeterson.com/2017/09/20/jordan-petersons-diet/

For those that are interested in the diet option it might be worth a go. My wife suffers from psoriasis, acid reflux and fatigue and I am going to try the diet on her.

For me, i'm sticking with the Humira for the time being. If it starts to get too expensive i may go back to the diet option. I think i could cut out the carbs and the sugar. I do believe this is a problem that will be fixed from the inside out. Or else moving to a sunnier climate - not really an option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭waxmoth

........ thought maybe the GP would advise on more FA as well as iron, but she didn't even. No mention of other supplements which might help either.

BBC radio 4 Inside Health had a report on a clinical trial of optimal method of iron supplementation a couple of weeks ago – bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09ply54
    They have further trials to do but their findings were that (lower) alternate day dosing resulted in higher absorption than consecutive day. Excess iron causes oxidation which may contribute to fatigue – I know when I was looking for a reason for bouts of fatigue, oxidative stress caused by the autoimmune condition seemed to be the most likely explanation.

brevity wrote: »

For those that are interested in the diet option it might be worth a go. .........

The most effective way to get the diet right is to look at the scientific reasons for particular food choices and weightings. On that list beef, lamb and salt should probably not be included because of their potential to cause inflammation. One of the objects is to lower the omega 6:3 ratio (less fuel for the inflammatory process) and it is probably best to stick to white chicken/turkey meat and seafood and use omega 3 supplements. Wild meats are higher in omega 3 but diets take so long to work it’s better to be sure. On the list of problem foods rice, onions, grapes and zucchini should be ok. It ends up being a personal journey because of all the environmental variables. The basic principle would seem to be to reduce dietary sources of inflammation and increase antioxidant intake whilst feeding the good gut bacteria that are depleted and starving the overgrowth of harmful bacteria that have taken their place. ‘The Keystone Approach’ by Rebecca Fett describes the various diets and the reasoning behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

I was getting bloods done in my gp's yesterday and she mentioned the long term illness card. I looked it up and psoriasis isn't listed, just wondering if anyone has contacted them to see if there is a possibility of qualifying for it?

Sorry Robin, I don't know anything about that.

Just a quick update, I rang the rheumy nurse who said there was absolutely no issue changing the day I take Mtx, so I am now going to take it tomorrow :)

Still very p---ed off at this young overzealous GP. That was 50 euros that would have been better off in my pocket.

Robin132 wrote: »
    I was getting bloods done in my gp's yesterday and she mentioned the long term illness card. I looked it up and psoriasis isn't listed, just wondering if anyone has contacted them to see if there is a possibility of qualifying for it?

Here is the list of medical conditions covered. I have neve heard of anyone with psoriaris being covered.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/drugs_and_medicines/long_term_illness_scheme.html

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can remember if they felt unwell or side effects etc after the test dosage of methotrexate? I'm just trying to figure out when I should take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Robin132 wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can remember if they felt unwell or side effects etc after the test dosage of methotrexate? I'm just trying to figure out when I should take it.

It knocks me out...so I'm off on Saturday...I take it Friday evening and I have all day Saturday to recover... But everyone is different I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Anyone got any tips on psoriasis on the nails? I have some blotches on the skin but usually clears for a couple of days when I use dovobet ointment. Down to using it once every 2 weeks or so, don't want the body becoming used to it everyday again. I got a full arm tattoo so that could be another reason for flare ups! The nails comes and goes, I keep them very short but one month there could be yellow/white on the edges or behind the nails and the next month it does be clear.

It knocks me out...so I'm off on Saturday...I take it Friday evening and I have all day Saturday to recover... But everyone is different I'm afraid.

Robin 132 I used to get knocked off the day after, now it seems it's more the end of the day after and the day following (40-48 hours) that I get the worst of it so maybe if there are 2 days of the week you don't mind being "off" then I would take it the night before that. :)

Rizzee sorry I've no tip, I just keep the nails really short.

I used to religiously put on lots of hand creams/moisturizers, but it didn't make ridging/yellowing/whitening go away, all it did was make the nails softer and weaker, they bent more and it was painful.

I tried putting on a layer of germolene liquid plaster too, as I use it on the cuticles and little sores around nails, but it didn't help either, although it really does help with discomfort if you have a nail that starts splitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

my nephew has psoriasis, I know that he was prescribed with UV light treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

CastielJ wrote: »
    my nephew has psoriasis, I know that he was prescribed with UV light treatment

It didn’t work for me but I know people do get great results with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Gael23 wrote: »
    It didn’t work for me but I know people do get great results with it.

There are different kinds of UV light therapy .
    Narrowband works for me , very well , but only if the emollient regime is followed strictly.

Broadband was good but not as successful . Possibly because I didn’t use the emollient religiously back then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Budawanny wrote: »
    Narrowband works for me , very well , but only if the emollient regime is followed strictly.
    have you any details/info about this regime?

Did you ever get significant reddening/burning from the light? I have found it works far better if I have gotten red to the point where it peels a little a few days later, like a proper sunburn. Where this has happened in the past patches have gone completely.

I usually use sudocreme after to lessen the reddening, like I would if I was out in the sun and suspected I got burned.

There are different kinds of UV light therapy .

Broadband was good but not as successful . Possibly because I didn’t use the emollient religiously back then

I had UVA but I don’t know if it was Narrowband.

rubadub wrote: »
    have you any details/info about this regime?

Did you ever get significant reddening/burning from the light? I have found it works far better if I have gotten red to the point where it peels a little a few days later, like a proper sunburn. Where this has happened in the past patches have gone completely.

I usually use sudocreme after to lessen the reddening, like I would if I was out in the sun and suspected I got burned.

my dermatologist and staff were very careful with the incremental dosage ,so the risk of burn is reduced. I did get a small burn on one day , but it was really harmless compared to what I have done to myself on a sunny day too many times. they strive to ensure you do not burn , as that reduces effectiveness.(inflammation bad)

Emollient should be applied to your skin every day, once in the morning and once in the evening.

The most effective is emulisfying ointment (rowa brand) , but there are others than will suffice. on days of visiting the clinic, you should replace emulsifying ointment with Silcocks base. ( as EO acts as a mild sun block)

it is utterly vital to apply emulsifying ointment (or equivalent) after each treatment.

Also they are really insistent on not using soap or shower gel. so I use Aveeno Dermexa, which is approved.

I had UVA but I don’t know if it was Narrowband.

was it PUVA?

was it PUVA?

Yes, good while I was in it but didn’t last long when treatment ended.
    On another note, I am seeing some good results on my scalp with TGel shampoo. Only been using it for around a week so still early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Yes, good while I was in it but didn’t last long when treatment ended.
    On another note, I am seeing some good results on my scalp with TGel shampoo. Only been using it for around a week so still early days.

I used that for a while but it left my scalp awful dry afterwards. Using Elave approx 3/4 years now, scalp is still on/off red (especially under fringe, 80% of the time its red but I sometimes dab some dovobet on it and its ok for a couple of days) and I try keep hair as short as possible.

rizzee wrote: »
    I used that for a while but it left my scalp awful dry afterwards. Using Elave approx 3/4 years now, scalp is still on/off red (especially under fringe, 80% of the time its red but I sometimes dab some dovobet on it and its ok for a couple of days) and I try keep hair as short as possible.

I only use child's farm these days for moisturizing but also the hair and body wash (all in one!) and my scalp hasn't been this good in a very long time. Even when I was us in cocois and dovobet scalp it wasn't this good.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Hi all,

I do not have psoriasis but just wanted to post some information that some of you may find useful.

On Ivan Yates evening show on Newstalk (The Hard shoulder), they have a psychologist come in once a week to talk about various mental health issues and the like. The psychologist they use is Dr Eddie Murphy (rte's Operation Transformation). In the link posted below, Dr Murphy spoke to Ivan about the mental health aspects of living with psoriasis. The interview takes place in the last 10-15 mins of the show, see link:

http://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/81889/43971/10th_April_2018_-_The_Hard_Shoulder_Part_3/

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

Just saw this topic about Psoriasis and thought I would give some of my own tips from personal experience. Firstly, I have had Psoriasis for around 30 years and unfortunately from my experience it never goes away but it CAN be controlled with determination!!

I have tried all sorts of treatments over the years, many of them costing me a fair bit of cash but in the end few of them have worked well. I will not list all the things I have tried as it is too long! But, the weirdest thing I tried was crushed roasted frog mixed with charcoal and engine oil!!!

Anyway, back to the things that MAY work for you. I say MAY, because everyone is different, and what works someone may not work for others. Below are the things that work best for me.

1. The best thing that works for me without doing anything else is sun bathing. If you are in position to have lots of sunny holidays then do so whenever you can and make sure you sunbathe. If you can not sunbathe then you could try sun tan shops which also work. Of course, the side affect maybe getting burned or possibly skin cancer so do not over do it.

2. If you do not have the luxury of going on sunny hols regularly then the next best thing is my diet. However, this is very difficult to do for me. I know for sure, that dairy products, meats and processed foods are a killer for me when it comes to my Psoriasis but also helps with my arthritis. However, this is very difficult, especially in the winter. In the summer I eat salads and plenty of them. I also eat potatoes, peppers and tomatoes which MAY affect some people with Psoriasis, these are veggies/fruits in the nightshade family which are suppose to affect people with the Psoriasis although they do not seem to affect me. By eating foods that your body does not like creates something called leaky gut, at first I did not take this seriously, but after trying to change my food habits, it really does work but takes a lot of determination.

3. TURMERIC. This one is my favourite, and at first I was very skeptical about it as I tried so many things in the past. Turmeric has properties in it that are great for inflammation so good for any kind of auto-immune disease like Psoriasis. I found the best way to take turmeric is by making something called "Golden Paste". If you Google it, you will find loads of recipes for it, it is very easy to make and can be added to you food dishes like curries, stews, tea etc etc. I find the easier way to take it is with fruit/veggie shakes. Anyway, it really does help but takes about 3-6 weeks of use to kick in.

I reckon if you do all 3 above, your Psoriasis will clear up considerably. Of course, it is difficult to stick with the above, and I struggle too. Luckily for me, my Psoriasis does not bother me so much now, I have just learned to live with it.

I hope this helps and good luck to you all.

• Advertisement

I'm having a flare in my right knee, right ankle feels dodgy too, and hips are not great (left hip actually).
    I overdid it with gardening yesterday.

Any opinions or tips welcome, I don't know what to do this time.

Edit: crisis averted, had long post describing and didn't know whether to go gp, now morning swelling gone down a lot so I think work will be fine ! Took some Ibuprofen last night so I think it helped.

Advertisement