Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frances Fitzgerald - new Minister for Justice

• 08-05-2014 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭

Frances Fitzgerald has been named as the new Minister for Justice and I've just won a bet because of it. Am I happy no, Minister Fitzgerald as Minister for Children had a major major crisis on her hands in October 2011, 2 girls absconded from a special care unit in Cork, the story was headline news in Ireland for a couple of days. The Minister stated there would be an "independent external inquiry" into a very damning report by HIQA following this absconsion, I would say it was the biggest crisis she faced as Minister.

The "independent external inquiry" became "an internal inquiry" with 2 members of the HSE and 1 independent member conducting the investigations; these investigations took place in November 2011 and the report into events surronding the absconsion have yet to be put into the public domain.

Why, why why,why - well there has been many theroies put out there but something was definitely asmiss; this report has to be published and yet there has been no questions about it.

If anyone can make things disappear I would imagaine Minister Fitzgerald is a better magician the ex Minister Shatter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

I don't know much about Francis Fitzgerald but she will have a baptism of fire following the publication of the report tomorrow and the reports to follow. I hope she gets stuck in and tries to get the morale of An Garda Siochana up off the floor, an onerous task ahead....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

mikep wrote: »
    I don't know much about Francis Fitzgerald but she will have a baptism of fire following the publication of the report tomorrow and the reports to follow. I hope she gets stuck in and tries to get the morale of An Garda Siochana up off the floor, an onerous task ahead....

I hear she is brillant at ignoring things, I know she is impossible to get a straight answer from. She is a former Social Worker, don't know anything about her legal credentials though.

I have no faith in her at all, however I really hope she brings about a truly independenent GSOC, a proper police service that serves all its stake holders, and a truly victim impowered criminal justice system. I would be very surprised if she does but I'd be more than happy to be surprised and proven wrong. Her track record on openess is unfortunately against her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can't say this appointment would fill me with renewed faith in our system - more of the same I reckon.

As such, I expect the interim Commissioner (who sat right beside Callinan without a peep during the whole affair) to be made permanent next which will keep AGS happy and not rock the boat, plus she's a woman so expect that to be highlighted in the announcement too (even though it should make no difference).

Of course Kenny will now consider the matter closed, and anything that comes from the report tomorrow will be spun along the lines of "but sure the commissioner and minister have both resigned - we've done our part!" in the same way as he still blames FF at every opportunity 3 years later.

The real question is will FG's belated sacking of Shatter be enough to save them in the upcoming elections - I have a sinking feeling the FG core will equally consider it job done!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Can't say this appointment would fill me with renewed faith in our system - more of the same I reckon.

As such, I expect the interim Commissioner (who sat right beside Callinan without a peep during the whole affair) to be made permanent next which will keep AGS happy and not rock the boat, plus she's a woman so expect that to be highlighted in the announcement too (even though it should make no difference).

Of course Kenny will now consider the matter closed, and anything that comes from the report tomorrow will be spun along the lines of "but sure the commissioner and minister have both resigned - we've done our part!" in the same way as he still blames FF at every opportunity 3 years later.

The real question is will FG's belated sacking of Shatter be enough to save them in the upcoming elections - I have a sinking feeling the FG core will equally consider it job done!

So right, so sad :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Early days yet, but given the inertia that exists in the state, I'd imagine it would take a nuclear bomb of a pair of inquiries to make any difference to the current set up, regardless of what individual is in the office. I'd say if you mentioned the words "Policing board" to any member of the governing parties at the moment they'd be divided between those who run away and those who try to skewer you with a stake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well I don't think she got the job on her legal expertise, as far as I'm aware she has little or no legal background, which is disappointing as Shatter was a superb legislator and the type of complex and far reaching legislation that is and hopefully will be required in the future (following the banking inquiry), I don't feel Fitzgerald is qualified to oversee. That's not to say that it can't be mostly taken care of by senior civil servants and the department of the Taoiseach, but then what purpose does she serve in the ministerial position? A PR spokesperson? Not good enough. A strong, independent legal mind with a grasp on the legal system and the ability to dictate legislation rather than take guidance on it is what was required.

Certainly it would be wrong to write her off on the first day in the job and say "more of the same :rolleyes:", at least give the lady a chance to put her stamp on the office, but the appointment does not fill me with confidence.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Certainly it would be wrong to write her off on the first day in the job and say "more of the same :rolleyes:", at least give the lady a chance to put her stamp on the office, but the appointment does not fill me with confidence.

You are right it would be wrong to write her off as more of the same, that is unless you have experience of her acting in a manner akin to Shatter. I hope she reforms GSOC and allows the Gardai to become a service rather than a force. I wish we had an independent policing body, we really really need this.
    All I can say is I hope she reforms herself as well as the dept she governs, her biggest test was the Gleann Alainn absconsion in October 2011 however the inquiry she called for has still to publish its findings, it spent almost 2 years bogged down in legal review and thats very telling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

[Jackass] wrote: »
    A strong, independent legal mind with a grasp on the legal system and the ability to dictate legislation rather than take guidance on it is what was required.

I disagree. A Minister's job is essentially that of a manager. It is not to dictate legislation. This was Shatter's downfall. He spent too much time delving into the nitty gritty of proposed legislation and neglected his actual role I.e. To manage the Dept. Of Justice and protect the citizens.

Wrt Ms. Fitzgerald she looked like a rabbit caught in headlights when Kenny was announcing her promotion. Saying that I think she deserves a chance to prove her capability.

Advertisement