Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

warning light on car for driving test?

Options
  • 28-02-2013 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭

Okay so I have an engine management light on the dash, (it's the emmision sensor) will this prevent me for sitting my driving test? I haven't booked it yet, but I thought I'd ask about this soon than later.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Why don't you get the problem sorted?:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Any warning light on the dash is a reason for the tester to cancel the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

johnayo wrote: »
    Why don't you get the problem sorted?:D

Long story to be honest, so will it prevent me from sitting my driving test do you think?

Stheno wrote: »
    Any warning light on the dash is a reason for the tester to cancel the test.

Ah really? Damn. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah really? Damn. :(

Yep from the RSA
    Any warning lights indicating a malfunction or a
    defect, which shows before or during the test, may
    lead to the non-conducting/non-completion of your
    test.
    Vehicles are fitted with a number of warning lights
    that let the driver know if certain critical safety and
    performance features are not working properly. They
    are important safety features and it is in the interest
    of the driver and road safety that all safety systems in
    the vehicle are in full working order

• Advertisement

Long story to be honest, so will it prevent me from sitting my driving test do you think?

If they see it, and know it's the engine management light, I reckon you've no chance of getting to do the test.

And they do check!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JimmyTee

I would imagine a tester would probably not do a test in a car with any warning light on, if they see it.

You could get the error code cleared from the engine control unit (ECU) of the car before the test, this wouldn't fool an NCT tester but may fool a Driving tester. There is various ways of clearing codes for different cars, Google them.

Actually come to think of it, an engine management light won't fail on the NCT as its of no danger, ABS lights among others will.
    So the tester shouldn't have a problem with it.

ah right, thanks for the help. :) ah say if the car got a bit of dirty petrol before the driving test and that put on the engine management light. (AFAIK dirty petrol can cause it as well) would they still not go on with it? I find it strange tough as it's not like it's a oil light or an air bag light.

JimmyTee wrote: »
    I would imagine a tester would probably not do a test in a car with any warning light on, if they see it.

You could get the error code cleared from the engine control unit (ECU) of the car before the test, this wouldn't fool an NCT tester but may fool a Driving tester. There is various ways of clearing codes for different cars, Google them.

Cheers, ya the local indy mechanic done that about 30 minutes ago and he said it needs a new emissions sensor. But there is a years N.C.T on it..

ah right, thanks for the help. :) ah say if the car got a bit of dirty petrol before the driving test and that put on the engine management light. (AFAIK dirty petrol can cause it as well) would they still not go on with it? I find it strange tough as it's not like it's a oil light or an air bag light.

It's an engine management light, testers are not stupid and would know most warning lights, to me an eml would be worse as god knows what it could be, you might tell them it's an emissions sensor but they don't know that.

The link I gave above says that if a warning light is on before, or comes on during a test they can cancel. I'd get it fixed before doing the test, you might have cleared the codes now but as it's not fixed you've no guarantee it won't come back on before/during the test. Sensors are generally not a massive cost to replace.

• Advertisement

Cheers, ya the local indy mechanic done that about 30 minutes ago and he said it needs a new emissions sensor. But there is a years N.C.T on it..

Actually come to think of it, an engine management light won't fail on the NCT as its of no danger, ABS lights among others will.

Yep from the RSA

Read what I posted.

Read what I posted.

I just did, they say may..(a bit vague) .

It's not the best idea in the world to turn up with a eml on but Its not an instant fail.

RSA QUOTATION

"Any warning lights indicating a malfunction or a
    test."

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭familystand

Any WARNING LIGHT on your dash board will mean you wont be tested and lose your fee, check out the " Final checks for your driving test " document on www.rsa.ie

It's not the best idea in the world to turn up with a eml on but Its not an instant fail.

RSA QUOTATION

test."

So why chance that they will? Most driving testers are fairly meticulous about their checks and I'd say it's far more likely they'll cancel the test than not.

So why chance that they will? Most driving testers are fairly meticulous about their checks and I'd say it's far more likely they'll cancel the test than not.

I agree its not smart to chance it, but to answer the OP, he has said for whatever reason he can't or dosen't want to fix the error.

But I can't see were the RSA state that they WILL NOT test a car with a warning light on but they say

Quote:
    " may lead to the non-conducting/non-completion of your test."

the key word is MAY.

Hypothetically if the guy went for the NCT and the car passed with the EML on (which it may pass with the EML on) and then he went for his driving test, will they then refuse to test him ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I agree its not smart to chance it, but to answer the OP, he has said for whatever reason he can't or dosen't want to fix the error.

But I can't see were the RSA state that they WILL NOT test a car with a warning light on but they say

Quote:
    " may lead to the non-conducting/non-completion of your test."

the key word is MAY.

Hypothetically if the guy went for the NCT and the car passed with the EML on (which it may pass with the EML on) and then he went for his driving test, will they then refuse to test him ?

Unless we ask the tester himself/herself before they take the test no one can know. All I know, is that from reading here, I have never heard of someone with an EML light being taken out for a test. It is beyond ridiculous imo to go to a test to chance it, when you plenty of time to get it resolved. If the test was tomorrow and the light came on, yes, I would chance it. But in the case of BW's situation, get it sorted.

The only reason I was going to risk it was, well because on the yaris the speedo is aimed at the driver and the passenger or tester in this case would have to lean far enough to the driveside to see speed, mileage, warning lights etc.

But if the tester accualy checks for warning lights, that's only were I see a problem as the tester will see it then.

Thanks all for the help so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

RSA QUOTATION

test."

They definitely won't test when the car is showing a warning light even an amber engine management light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

I done my test on Monday and when I started the car I noticed the tester had a look at the gauge cluster presumably to look for warning lights,

but when I was doing the hill start the airbag warning light came on (due to a loose connector under the passenger seat ) luckily she didnt notice and the hilstart was the last manoeuvre so it was back to the test centre

• Advertisement
Advertisement