Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strat or Tele

• 25-07-2006 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I'm going to upgrade my squier strat very soon and was thinking of getting either a fender telecaster or a stratocast so i'm looking for as much input as possible. I've played both and I enjoyed the strat more but that may be just because I was reared on a strat. So I was wondering what your thoughts are. Obviously neither is 'better' than the other but I'd like to know the pros and cons of both.

Cheers

Long story short:

What are the differences between the Stratocaster and Telecaster?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Pros
    Strat - comfy body, three pickups, looks faster.

Tele - Twang.

Cons
    Strat - Trem can be a pain in the arse to restring

Tele - Needs contours

:p

In all seriousness though, the answer to your question is to go into a guitar shop and play them side by side and see which one you prefer, whichever one feels and sounds right to your hands and ears. Get that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Before Ancient1 arrives and tells you to get a strat, I'd go with a Tele personally. Something about the way a strat sounds and plays that always feels dead for me. Of course if you like the Squier strat you've got and want a decent version of it then go ahead, nowt wrong with that. Although as the Doc says, head into town and give both a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Strat? Dead?! My dear boy, let me introduce you to Jimi Hendrix, and his mate Rory Gallagher. ;) They're very different guitars, depends what you want to play, and how you want the guitar to feel. Strats. in my experience, are lovely and soft to play, and certainly more comfortable due to the contours. Teles have that oh-so-distinctive cutting twang, the sound nothing else can ever emulate, but it's a very defined sound that suits everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I got an american deluxe tele last month and its got the contours that Doctor J is talking about.

717669273095-back-l.jpg

Strat? Dead?! My dear boy, let me introduce you to Jimi Hendrix, and his mate Rory Gallagher. ;)

Dead for me I said, I just don't feel right wandering through stratland. And I don't really like Hendrix. Gallagher I can dig but Hendrix? Nah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

As much as I like the sound of a good Tele, I just find them uncomfortable to play. I find the control layout really inconvenient. The lack of contours doesn't really bother me though. You have to deal with that problem on most non-Strat guitars so I wouldn't really be swayed by it. Play as many of bot hash you can and go with your heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One will get you laid (its not the tele!) :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

It's worth noting that Gallagher was also a huge Tele fan.
    I'd go with a Tele myself, I prefer the sound of them. Plus I like the boxy look of them, they're wonderfully brutish. Their simplicity is endearing. The only thing I like about Strats is fookin' about with the trem and making it cry with the tone controls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

i love them both,i definitely play looser/funkier on the strat,it just brings that out it my playing,i tend to really play the **** out of the tele though cause it seems to work better when you dig in but still it does the arpeggio thing better than any strat/gibson i've played so i guess i need both...and an SG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

The Strat is a timeless institution.

It's the mama of all guitars and that's that, end of story, no more discussion, thread locked.

Post pics as soon as you get one. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

u have a way wit words ancient1 (carzy bastard)

i do agree tho the strat can just make so many sounds between the 5 pickup switch positions. they can rock or jazz really easily..

tele's are a bit more restricted on the hard edge of things but still sound great.

either way u'd buy a good guitar but the strat does it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ancient1 wrote:
    The Strat is a timeless institution.

It's the mama of all guitars and that's that, end of story, no more discussion, thread locked.

Post pics as soon as you get one. :p

That's it in a nutshell really.

John2 wrote:
    Something about the way a strat sounds and plays that always feels dead for me.
    :eek::eek::eek:
    John2 wrote:
    Hendrix? Nah!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

There's been a huge resurgance of tele's lately judging by the music that's flooding the indie charts at the moment.

I'm more of a strat man myself. I have lots of guitars, but my highway1 gets played the most. It's so so comfortable to play.

I might get a tele and see what it can do.

Pick whichever you prefer yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Savman wrote:
    That's it in a nutshell really.

But it's not!

The Tele is the Daddy of electric guitars. The Strat is a Tele brought to finishing school and refined. IOW, a Tele one Gen later.

Having said that, it's down to ear and groin. Yours and hers :D

nipplenuts wrote:
    Having said that, it's down to ear and groin. Yours and hers :D

Rofflecopter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Pfh! Why bother with either of those toys! Get a real guitar. Get an LP!

*slams door and runs while giving the finger!*

anywho, take the "go to a shop and park yourself down for a few hours" advice trying Strats, Teles and the odd LP ;) (just for measure like!!) I have both but would choose the LP over the Strat(sorry Ancient1 old boy!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

OP what kind of stuff do you play? Are you in a band? I find that a tele can suit certain lineup on stage depending on the other instruments being played and similarly a strat can do the same. Pick whatever suits your style best. Obviously comfort does come into it but personally I'd be more concerned about the sound it makes.

I reckon only way to know for sure is if we arrange a Fight Club between LP and Strat players :D:D

Strat players are a bunch of girls. Real men have LPs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

John2 wrote:

RG > LP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

John2 wrote:

Sorry, real men play Ibanez :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Takes a real man to play a Les Paul for a two-hour gig, and few will refute that. ;)

ned78 wrote:
    Sorry, real men play Ibanez :p

Hehe, snap. :D

I'd tend to agree though, nothing comes close to a nice Ibanez RG.

If that's how y'all are going to play, I'm confiscating everyone's Strat.

And you're all banned.

Pfft, Ibanez are for men with small penises

LP = l'il pecker

as I said to someone recently, you can have my strat...once you pry it from my cold dead fingers...

John2 wrote:
    Pfft, Ibanez are for men with small penises

Them's fightin' words!

Them's fightin' words!

And being an LP player I'll have you! :D

• Advertisement

John2 wrote:
    And being an LP player I'll have you! :D

Ah but you forget yourself John, my Stealth is a lethal weapon, elegant and very sharp.

i think strats and lp's should stop bein compared they are different guitars hot damn it.

seriously tho i'd rather play a strat for 2 hours than an lp...they are too ****in heavy

what about a lespaulacastor thats the solutions i tells yis

That's true, it's a pointy bugger!

esd63copy.jpg

its not that bad

Yeah, the solution: Buy all guitars. Start with Ibanez, Fender, Gibson, and then work from there.

goreill2 wrote:
    I'm going to upgrade my squier strat very soon and was thinking of getting either a fender telecaster or a stratocast so i'm looking for as much input as possible. I've played both and I enjoyed the strat more but that may be just because I was reared on a strat. So I was wondering what your thoughts are. Obviously neither is 'better' than the other but I'd like to know the pros and cons of both.

Cheers

Long story short:

What are the differences between the Stratocaster and Telecaster?

So, goreill2. In conclusion: have you given up yet? Do you see what you're getting yourself into? :p

Just flee while you can, before you become like one of us!

• Advertisement
Advertisement