Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'A Scanner Darkly' Teaser Trailer..

• 20-02-2005 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭

Looks quite interesting... but looks like it could induce a real bad migraine on the big screen!

Anyways, it's Richard Linklater's new one... a freaky hybrid of animation / CGI (etc.) starring Keanu Reeves, Robert Downey Jr, Woody Harrellson, Winona Ryder.

Based on a novel by Philip K Dick, the film is set in a future world where America has lost the war on drugs, undercover cop Fred (Keanu Reeves) is one of many agents hooked on the popular drug Substance D, which causes its users to develop split personalities. Fred, for instance, is also Bob, a notorious drug dealer. Along with his superior officers, Fred sets up an elaborate scheme to catch Bob and tear down his operation.

Will be released in the US in September.

Trailer here!

darkleyt010605.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Quite weird looking. The shifting between the faces is a nice little touch. has anyone read the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Jesus, if you want to make a live action film, make a live action film. If you want to make an animated film, make an animated film. Why bother making some stylistic hybrid that serves no purpose? Reminds me of the upcoming 'Sin City'.

Linklater is one of the most overrated directors ever, but that's besides the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Looks intruiging..

Im glad that they didnt just want to make a live action film and they didnt just want to make an animated film, im glad they bothered to make a stylistic hybrid thats serves a purpose...reminds me of sin city.

Linklater is one of the most underrated directors ever, but thats beside the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm afraid i'm with Chad on this one.

Linklater is a great director. He has made some great films and what i enjoy about his film-making is that he doesn't stick to one genre...

He has gone through a lot of different genre's in his career.. from slacker movies (Dazed And Confused, Suburbia).. to romantic dramas (Before Sunrise, Before Sunset) through to his recent success with comedy (School Of Rock). And 'A Scanner Darkly' looks like to be bringing his varying career in a new direction.

PS - And i, for one, am really looking forward to Sin City!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Agreed, It look's great. I've read the book and I've seen Linklater's Waking Life, which uses an earlier form of the same animation technique - they're both great and I think fusing the two is the only way to make a film of that book.

Without it the budget would have sky-rocketed in any case, and you'd never get the money needed to make such a dark film.

Stephen Spielberg's A Scanner Darkly? no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

basquille wrote:
    I'm afraid i'm with Chad on this one.

Linklater is a great director. He has made some great films and what i enjoy about his film-making is that he doesn't stick to one genre...

He has gone through a lot of different genre's in his career.. from slacker movies (Dazed And Confused, Suburbia).. to romantic dramas (Before Sunrise, Before Sunset) through to his recent success with comedy (School Of Rock). And 'A Scanner Darkly' looks like to be bringing his varying career in a new direction.

PS - And i, for one, am really looking forward to Sin City!

Just a little background.

In the world of a scanner darkly uncover police officers wear distortion fields some of the time to preserve their idenity when acting in a offical capacity. While undercover they deactivate the fields to preserve their undercover persona. The catch is the hero is addicted to this drug, and his dealer also wears the field. The drug also scrambles the users perception paranoia and sense of self.

I think the look of the film is brillant bold and daring. Dicks novels are often described as quite rightly unfilmable. Look at we can remember it for you wholesale a celebral look at memory and perception turned into a Govenator "see you at the party" action flick. Bladerunner is at best a bastard child taking near twenty years to appear in anything approaching to the original concept. And don't get me started on Minority report........

This looks like a bold impressionistic fanatastic look at what was potentialy an unfilmable book.

I don't know if the film will be any good, but it looks like it could be the most honest attempt to film one of the best science fiction writers the world has ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I think this looks like it's got potential. I can definitely see myself going to see it just to check out the cell shading animation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Jesus, if you want to make a live action film, make a live action film. If you want to make an animated film, make an animated film. Why bother making some stylistic hybrid that serves no purpose? Reminds me of the upcoming 'Sin City'.

I don't agree. If you can do something different, why not? Why does it have to be that cut and dry - either animated or live action? Why not try something else and see where it leads?

I for one think it looks pretty interesting.

Advertisement