Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small budget, what car??

Options
  • 22-07-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hey all,

Car conked on me again today, it happened a few times back in March as well, started happening now again, I'm resigned to the fact it's on its last legs due to age and high milage (190,000 miles).. I spend a lot of money on it last year getting new steering rack (2nd hand), new exhaust, new alternator (2nd hand), tyres, timing belt & water pump along with a few other things. It has no NCT and the cops are up my ass about that at the minute so I don't think it's worth getting ready for NCT. It needs bushins, drop links, tie rod ends, tyres and whatever is now wrong with it conking out!

Big question now is what to buy?!

Budget small: 2,000euro
    Petrol 1.4 - 1.6 max (tax reasons)

I currently have a 02 Vectra 1.6 petrol.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Something Jap should suit you. Corolla or Avensis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Look up carzone and donedeal

Ford Focus 1.4 but 1.6 better
    Skoda Octavia 1.4 upwards

Something along those lines of cars you shouldn't go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jonny Drama

I see Laguna's are cheapish.. And I've heard they have/had a bad name etc but would a 2005 not be an ok buy?

I see Laguna's are cheapish.. And I've heard they have/had a bad name etc but would a 2005 not be an ok buy?

If you were interested that would be 1 make I would look for full stamped service history very cheaply put together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

There's a lad on another thread selling a 96 carina, taxed and tested. Offer him more than €200 tho:pac:
    If you want to get a Laguna, just give me €200 and I will come round and break a few electrical items on your current car, just so you can get a feel for what it will be like.

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    There's a lad on another thread selling a 96 carina, taxed and tested. Offer him more than €200 tho:pac:
    If you want to get a Laguna, just give me €200 and I will come round and break a few electrical items on your current car, just so you can get a feel for what it will be like.

I saw his thread about his Carina, somehow I don't think he really wants to part with it, it seems to be the love of his life :D

Are Laguna's really that bad?! Pity, cos they don't look too bad for their price!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3659595

1.8 but one rule of thumb I've always worked to is smaller budget= bigger engine. I reckon there's no point in passing up a good car because the govt are w*krs.

cantdecide wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3659595

1.8 but one rule of thumb I've always worked to is smaller budget= bigger engine. I reckon there's no point in passing up a good car because the govt are w*krs.

Needs a bit of work new rear offside light and dents paintwork not great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Lob in a bid of €650 on the Carina, spend the other €1350.00 on coke and hookers. You know it's just meant to be. Problem solved, no drama, Jonny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Lob in a bid of €650 on the Carina, spend the other €1350.00 on coke and hookers. You know it's just meant to be. Problem solved, no drama, Jonny.

leave some for the hospital bill and the crab ointment

• Advertisement

Lob in a bid of €650 on the Carina, spend the other €1350.00 on coke and hookers.

Sounds like a plan, and hookers are cheap as chips in Galway so all the better!!

You know it's just meant to be. Problem solved, no drama, Jonny.[/QUOTE]
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Are Laguna's really that bad?! Pity, cos they don't look too bad for their price!

No they're not, i know several people driving around in that model laguna with no problems, its alot of car for the money.

pred racer wrote: »
    No they're not, i know several people driving around in that model laguna with no problems, its alot of car for the money.

Now that's what I wanna hear! Sounds good... Let's hope more people have the same good things to say about them..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have some sense, you already have a car that's fecked, sure not all lagunas gave trouble, but why take the risk at this price level. There's a good chance you'll get one tht hasn't been maintained properly or will throw a wobbly at some stage.

I dont agree at all Colm!

Take this one for example

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3663904

Only 40k miles, who cares if it only got serviced once.
    (my sister has the same car with triple the milage, and i changed the oil,filter and spark plugs for her last week after she mentioned it might be due, I asked when was it last done?" When I got it" she said......that was over 2 years ago:eek:)

Get it for a grand?

As a regular french car owner, most of what is said about them is rubbish

Maybe so, I just know we sold a few that cost us a lot on warranty. If the purpose of the excercise is to get rid of a Vectra and buy something better then buying a Laguna in my opinion is not the way to go.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Maybe so, I just know we sold a few that cost us a lot on warranty. If the purpose of the excercise is to get rid of a Vectra and buy something better then buying a Laguna in my opinion is not the way to go.

Any recommendations on what to get Colm?

If I was limited to 1.6, I'd probably get a Focus or a Mazda 323.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Honda Accord 1.8 litre:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3659612

A bit expensive this one but they are uber reliable and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I'd listen to Colm. He knows his stuff and wouldn't steer you wrong. I was considering a Laguna last year as a run around and the price was very attractive for a nice looking, reasonably modern car. I do my research before buying and did a lot of research of the laguna. While a few people get lucky with them, most people have serious trouble with electricals.

You might say that people usually only post when they want to complain, but I looked everywhere and asked some knowledgeable people too. My advice was to stay away and I am glad I did. One Laguna I was seriously considering buying (2005 model) has been up twice for resale since I decided to not buy one. That reminds me, I have to change that bloody reminder thing!

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    I'd listen to Colm. He knows his stuff and wouldn't steer you wrong. I was considering a Laguna last year as a run around and the price was very attractive for a nice looking, reasonably modern car. I do my research before buying and did a lot of research of the laguna. While a few people get lucky with them, most people have serious trouble with electricals.

You might say that people usually only post when they want to complain, but I looked everywhere and asked some knowledgeable people too. My advice was to stay away and I am glad I did. One Laguna I was seriously considering buying (2005 model) has been up twice for resale since I decided to not buy one. That reminds me, I have to change that bloody reminder thing!

Right, I guess that's that idea gone so.. It's a pity cos as you said they are a decent looking car for little money, but if I was in and out of the garage with it every 5 minutes I'd go mad.. An Accord was mentioned above but I don't want to go above 1.6 because of tax and petrol, and I'm due a shít load of penalty points soon for nonsense really so if I get a 1.6L at least I wouldn't be going too fast! Maybe I'll just get meself a sturdy Punto!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭hometruths

If I was limited to 1.6, I'd probably get a Focus or a Mazda 323.

Hi Colm, I have same budget, 2k, but not limited to 1.6 - what would you get if upper engine size was 2.5?

schmittel wrote: »
    Hi Colm, I have same budget, 2k, but not limited to 1.6 - what would you get if upper engine size was 2.5?

Tough one, I'd take each car on its merits, at that engine size you're buying with your heart a bit too.

I didn't set out to buy a 3 litre jag...

Have a look at the bangeromics threads, lots of nice turbocharged Volos and the likes there ;)

I don't think you buy a big engined car so you won't have bills, but if I was going that way I'd probably get a Camry 2.4, maxima 2.0 or galant 2.5 - but I'd never actually buy any of these

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭hometruths

Tough one, I'd take each car on its merits, at that engine size you're buying with your heart a bit too.

I didn't set out to buy a 3 litre jag...

Have a look at the bangeromics threads, lots of nice turbocharged Volos and the likes there ;)

I don't think you buy a big engined car so you won't have bills, but if I was going that way I'd probably get a Camry 2.4, maxima 2.0 or galant 2.5 - but I'd never actually buy any of these

Cheers, have been following bangernomics thread closely, which put me onto the idea of a Volvo S80. Currently top contender though is an ageing, high mileage 325.

The CAmry, Maxima, and Galant are out!!

Imo, everything is better than a vectra. The only way is up:D
    (btw i had one of them too)

pred racer wrote: »
    Imo, everything is better than a vectra. The only way is up:D
    (btw i had one of them too)

I've had mine for 6 years and it did give me a lot of bother at times alright (ecu & egr valve went not long after I bought it- 1300euro :mad:, the only other major thing to go wrong with it was the steering rack last year had to be replaced, everything else was just maintenance like timing belt & water pump x 2, alternator, exhaust, brakes blew out etc etc), but it had got to a stage where I had put so much money into it that it was worth too much to let go if you know what I mean. I find it a comfortable car to drive, a lot nicer than other cars I've driven..

I don't find them all that bad, but to be honest I wouldn't buy one again, the model from 2002 - 2007/8 are horrible looking, the new Insignia looks nice but unless I win the lotto or hold up my neighbour at gun point there's no chance in me getting one for a while yet anyways!!

It still drives now, but sometimes it cuts out if I slow down coming to a junction, so maybe it's the dam ecu again!!

Advertisement