Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamped AND parking fine?

Options
  • 05-10-2008 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got clamped (along with at least 6 other cars) last Sunday afternoon around the side of Cineworld, on Ryders Row, Dublin 1. I paid my €80 de-clamping fee and went on my merry way. On Friday I recieved a parking fine in the post from the Gardai for the same offence (parking in the clearway) for €40. Is this usual? I'm assuming even though I paid the clamping fee I'm still liable for the fine? From what I can see, the parking fine was issued first, the clamp put on 30 minutes later - never been clamped there before and it is a very common place to park from my experience (not that this matters).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,031 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I would check the signage on the clearway - it may not apply on Sundays.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Depending on exactly where you parked, , you may also have been parked in a contraflow cycle lane, at a junction, on a ghost island ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭handbraker

there are a few clamping hotspots around dublin and this is one of them. also rathmines is pretty bad as I have been caught out there a few times (think they have a base in Harolds X)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Yes, I parked illegally in the same area near Cineworld and got €120 straight. I'd say the toal fee is correct but strange why they didn't just give the 2 together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Surely double jeporady applies. You cannot be punished twice for the same offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Surely double jeporady applies. You cannot be punished twice for the same offence.

Multiple offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Where do the clamper s operate from in Dublin?

BrianD wrote: »
    Where do the clamper s operate from in Dublin?
    UNIT 13 WINDSOR PLACE DUBLIN 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bab og

I was hoping someone else could help me with a similar issue.

I have received two parking fines for the same day, in the same parking spot only 12 minutes apart. I have rang the Garda Enquiry line and they say this is perfectly legal you can be fined every minute of every day if the person issuing the charges wishes, however, I cannot see anything to back this up on any websites or forums. Does anyone else know if this is true? About to pay fines so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bab og wrote: »

I have received two parking fines for the same day, in the same parking spot only 12 minutes apart. I have rang the Garda Enquiry line and they say this is perfectly legal you can be fined every minute of every day if the person issuing the charges wishes, however, I cannot see anything to back this up on any websites or forums. Does anyone else know if this is true? About to pay fines so any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    I've seen up to four tickets on the windscreen of a car in Blackrock, two is quite common.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have rang the Garda Enquiry line and they say this is perfectly legal you can be fined every minute of every day if the person issuing the charges wishes, however, I cannot see anything to back this up on any websites or forums.

Multiple tickets for afternoon and evening or multiple days I can understand, but that is insane. Since time is infinitely subdivisible, under such a system you could be charged an arbitrary amount of cash, limited only by the printing speed of the issuing device.

I refuse to believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lumen wrote: »
    Multiple tickets for afternoon and evening or multiple days I can understand, but that is insane. Since time is infinitely subdivisible, under such a system you could be charged an arbitrary amount of cash, limited only by the printing speed of the issuing device.

I refuse to believe it!
    Twelve minutes does sound a bit frequent, to be fair. I think the car I saw with the four tickets had spent an entire bank holiday weekend on double yellow lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bab og

I could not believe it either ... but the following example was given to me to back up their statement. " If I the driver, whizzed back and forth past a speed camera, exceeding the speed limit, then that driver would not be fined only the once they would be fined over and over again.

I have checked the Garda website directly and it doesn't state anything so I only have words of a Limerick women on the enquiry line to believe to date

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I could not believe it either ... but the following example was given to me to back up their statement. " If I the driver, whizzed back and forth past a speed camera, exceeding the speed limit, then that driver would not be fined only the once they would be fined over and over again.

A better analogy would be "one ticket for every inch spent over the speed limit within sight of the camera". Which isn't how it works.

I doubt this would stand up on appeal or in court.

Only 1 ticket per day can be issued per offence. I was told that by a senior Garda friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

does that mean you can only get caught by one speed camera on 24 hour trip around Ireland I wonder? :)

Sadly not. ;(

yeah I suppose "an offence" includes the address, which would all be different in the case of a speed camera/bank robberies. There goes my plan :(

:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I wish more crappy parkers would get clamped! :)

• Advertisement

Clamping somebody who has parked badly is a bit (what's the word?) though. They should just ticket them!

It doesn't make sense to clamp bad parkers. Towing is more effective.

Ticketing is only appropriate for over stayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cookiecake

Hi , I received a parking ticket on my car on saturday . a fixed charge notice willl be issued in due course . I know that speeding fixed charge notices can take weeks to arrive . I was wondering would my notice arrive in the next week or will it too be weeks and weeks . I will be leaving my current address in the next month and dont want to be summoned to court , I was park illegally and i do wish to pay the 40 euro fine . Just curious of the timeframe .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Please don't dig up old threads, please feel free to start a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement