Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleblayney Bypass - nearing completion

Options
  • 05-10-2007 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Today we got to drive on part of the new N2 Castleblayney bypass. So far only the part bypassing Clontibret is open, then the traffic gets forced back onto the old N2 through Annyalla and Castleblayney.

At the southern end, none of the "central reservation" fence has been put in place.

Still, looks an impressive bit of road even at this stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ippd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Just a pity they didn't put more Grade Separated junctions on the road. Especially one south of C'Blayney. That's going to be a busy roundabout.

Every major junction on the Carrickmacross bypass (which is not 2+1) is Grade Separated, seems strange Monaghan Co Co didn't do the same with the C'Blayney bypass :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Officially Opening Today.... http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1105/roads.html?rss

Not they can start the plans to upgrade it to HQDC :), they are already doing this with the Carrickmacross to Castleblayney Stretch...see here

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Both RTE and the BBC websites report that up to 40 minutes will be taken off the journey which I find slightly exaggerated. The problem with Castleblayney was that it was very hit and miss, varying from one day to the next. Often a Garda could move the traffic more effectively than the lights and by equal measure an incompetent Garda could cause more congestion.

It was known for a long time that the bypass was going to be built so why not get to the root cause of the congestion...the traffic layout not just at those stupid lights but at the mini roundabout at Bogue's garage, which should have been lights as well, when properly sequenced could allow the N2 traffic a clear passage through the town.

The road was due to open today at noon, but still wasn't opened after 1pm. I wonder was there a liquid lunch in the Glencarn? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

They could have done a lot better with this road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

I agree. It is substandard compared with the Carrickmacross bypass - which sets the standard for single lane bypasses. How much extra would it have cost to have a bit of forsight and make it grade seperated. V. poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Quite a lot more, I would say. Structures like bridges contribute hugely to the cost of these road schemes and couldn't be warranted for what can't be large numbers of turning cars per hour. We'll have to see how the few right turns operate in practice. I suppose the theory is that they should be much safer than the traditional style right turns as the slow/stopped cars in the centre of the road aren't in the main lane. Most of the accesses are left-in-left-out anyway.

I got a gallop down this bit of road for the first time today and it is very disappointing for a few reasons.

There are 3 small roundabouts on the road that really slow the traffic down, somewhat needlessly. Heading southbound the last roundabout has 2 lanes approaching it but you will struggle to get 2 vehicles entering it simultaneously.

The length of the road is 15.9km, according to the NRA press release and I worked out very roughly theres about 5.2km of overtaking opportunities northbound. Southbound theres one section of overtaking lane that is not much more than 400 metres. Theres a sign at the start of each dual section indicating 2 lanes available. It would be helpful to include a sign: "For x km" as well.
    The NRA press release stated:
    The two-lane section, which provides the overtaking opportunity, alternates with a one-lane section at intervals of 2km
    One would assume that meant straighforward 2km single carriageway followed by 2km with overtaking lane. The longest overtaking stretch northbound, I generously worked out as 1.1km.

There is one junction that is helpfully grade separated. That is the exception rather than the rule! There is one left turn on a single lane section (Shercock I think) at which the left turning traffic brings everything behind to a complete halt. A left turn filter lane would have been welcome.
    On a slightly different level, the slower traffic turning left onto the new road does not have the benefit of a hard shoulder to gather speed (unlike the Carrick bypass) and also slows the mainline traffic down.

There seems to be a considerable number of by-roads accomodated on the Castleblayney bypass, something which didn't happen at Carrickmacross.

On a positive note, you don't have to go into Castleblayney!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

RadioCity wrote: »
    I got a gallop down this bit of road for the first time today and it is very disappointing for a few reasons. There are 3 small roundabouts on the road that really slow the traffic down, somewhat needlessly.
    Maybe they want you to slow down?
    On a slightly different level, the slower traffic turning left onto the new road does not have the benefit of a hard shoulder to gather speed
    It is illegal to drive on the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It is illegal to drive on the hard shoulder.

True. However it is a valid point that this road is devoid of any form of acceleration or deceleration lane. Even at the one grade separated junction, on the Ballybay road, the slip roads at at right angles and a truck would have to slow right down to turn on to them. This seems cheap for a new build road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

I have to agree. I found myself 5 cars behind a truck going at 45 mph - it took two sections of overtaking lanes for me to get past.
    The single lane carriage way from Ardee to Castleblaney is actually as wide as the two lane section of the Castleblaney bypass. Also, the single lane sections of the bypass are so narrow (needlessly so) that cars actually slow down on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You wouldn't want to break down on the single lane sections of it. There's no hard shoulder to park on.

Something else I meant to add yesterday, theres a bit of signage that can be seen northbound for "Scotch Corner Landfill and Recycling Centre", a mouthful in itself never mind the Irish for what we call "the tip", but its on a brown background!! A Co. Monaghan tourist attraction??

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sure, isn't it a 'civic amenity'? :)

Advertisement