Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why the difference

Options
  • 13-09-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I have just returned from Aldi and they were advertising a bottle of Viejo 1820 brandy for €17.99 . My problem is the exact same bottle is onsale in my local Spanish Aldi for €5.99 ,could some genius out there please explain this to me. The same applies to Lidl long neck beer , here €6.99 there€2.99. To me the price difference is far too great ,€12.00 on one bottle " BRING ON THE GENIUSES"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

It's unrealistic to expect someone to answer a question as exact as that, i.e. why is a specific good in a specific shop priced higher than in Spain. Unless, of course, someone who frequents the forum works for Global Aldi.

In general, prices are never going to be equal because costs are not the same across both countries. Labour, rental of premises, transport costs (i.e. shipping both by air, sea, and land), legal requirements, cost reductions from agglomeration (where do you live?), differences in levels of competition, insurance, etc. Also, what is the tax on alcohol in Spain? In Ireland it's one of the usual suspects for tax increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The main reason is taxation.

Other reasons include higher rents, higher wages, higher overheads (electricity, insurance), higher transport costs. There are also issues regarding planning permission and scale: Lidl and Aldi are far more restricted in the size of stores they're allowed to open than the likes of Tesco. Finally, higher demand plays a part. People will pay more for a coffee in Dublin than in Cork. Similarly people will pay more for a bottle of wine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ubeonek

Did you read the question ???.The same bottle in the same store the size of the stores are the same in Ireland as in Spain .A 300% increase must be unfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ubeonek wrote: »
    Did you read the question ???.The same bottle in the same store the size of the stores are the same in Ireland as in Spain .A 300% increase must be unfair

did you read the answers? it's already been answered...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mickey Finns is a better example. Manufactured in County Wicklow, sells on Spanish shelves for €3 per bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Nothing LIDL or ALDI can do about it or any retailer in this state, there's a €10 a litre government excise duty on spirits in this country, that's why the price difference. Doesn't matter whether it's Smirnoff or Captain Yeltzin Vodka, same €10 a litre.

I did not think we were being ripped off by the goverment to such an extent . Its not that drink is expensive but we pay too much tax .

ubeonek wrote: »
    I did not think we were being ripped off by the goverment to such an extent . Its not that drink is expensive but we pay too much tax .

Corporation and income taxes here are low by European standards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Ireland taxes the hell out of tabacco and booze inall shops Tesco Dunnes stores the offfy and the Lidl and Aldi all have big extra tax which Spanish don't charge

Its the other products that piss me off with Aldi and Lidl
    Like look at cheese prices

Often 1 euro block cheese in Spain will cost 1.70 in ROI

So I frequently ring the Aldi and Lidl customer number to bitch at them
    On some products they did drop the price but on cheese they say something about a cheese tax

So whenever me or my mates go away to France or Spain we bring back lots of food often lots of cheese what we buy in the Aldi or Lidl there and save money and dont pay the Irish cheese tax

I stopped buying Cheese in Ireland when it went from 5 euro a Kilo to 6.50 and more a kilo overnight

I might have accepted a change from 5 euro to 5.20 and later 5.40 some 6 months later but 30% overnight no way so now me and my mates import our own cheese and other foods and save money

Also when you come from a EU country there is no limit on how much booze or cigs you bring with you

However your not allowed to sell it to others so when you arrive with a van load they get stroppy with you and suspect your buying extra to sell some to your mates
    So still they got ways to FU over

They can hold it it in costoms warehouse and dish it out to you in bits and bobs and wear you down having to go and collect a few bottles every few days

The only limit for air travel is the excess baggage costs you can afford

The limits for your car are what the spings can take as booze as liquid is heavy crap and 500 bottles weigh 1 ton about the same weight as twenty big lads

I mostly fly and fill the case with 40 blocks of 500 gramm cheese which weights 20KGs the limit 22kg for most airlines (Ryaan air is 15 kgs so limited to 13 kgs of stuff)

Derry

derry wrote: »
    Ireland taxes the hell out of tabacco and booze inall shops Tesco Dunnes stores the offfy and the Lidl and Aldi all have big extra tax which Spanish don't charge

Its the other products that piss me off with Aldi and Lidl
    Like look at cheese prices

Often 1 euro block cheese in Spain will cost 1.70 in ROI

So I frequently ring the Aldi and Lidl customer number to bitch at them
    On some products they did drop the price but on cheese they say something about a cheese tax

So whenever me or my mates go away to France or Spain we bring back lots of food often lots of cheese what we buy in the Aldi or Lidl there and save money and dont pay the Irish cheese tax

I stopped buying Cheese in Ireland when it went from 5 euro a Kilo to 6.50 and more a kilo overnight

I might have accepted a change from 5 euro to 5.20 and later 5.40 some 6 months later but 30% overnight no way so now me and my mates import our own cheese and other foods and save money

Also when you come from a EU country there is no limit on how much booze or cigs you bring with you

However your not allowed to sell it to others so when you arrive with a van load they get stroppy with you and suspect your buying extra to sell some to your mates
    So still they got ways to FU over

They can hold it it in costoms warehouse and dish it out to you in bits and bobs and wear you down having to go and collect a few bottles every few days

The only limit for air travel is the excess baggage costs you can afford

The limits for your car are what the spings can take as booze as liquid is heavy crap and 500 bottles weigh 1 ton about the same weight as twenty big lads

I mostly fly and fill the case with 40 blocks of 500 gramm cheese which weights 20KGs the limit 22kg for most airlines (Ryaan air is 15 kgs so limited to 13 kgs of stuff)

Derry

That's what an on-topic post would have looked like.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

LOL

YES lets all be good Germans a stick to the point

That way we all become robots

Left right left right

Jesus the day when the Irish stick to the point is the day that we might as well fly the german flag and become overun with systematic thought and let our artifical intelegence bots go onto the forums and be so exact

Intelegence
    The Artifical BOT woulds reply like so

Beer and wine cost a lot of extra money in the ROI as the ROI government adds lots of tax to all liquids which contain ethanol CH3OH4
    This is liquid that has many uses like additive for car fuels in E85 or medical antaseptic or........:rolleyes:

Derry

If it was not for German beer (LAGER) we would not have "LAGERLOUTS"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Its a free market. If Aldi want to give beer away for free in Spain and charge a million euro here, they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

The majority of the price would be due to tax and costs, but maybe the they also think that the Irish have a higher demand for alcohol than the spanish so the higher price works.

I would guess that some products popular in spain would be more expensive in the sainish aldi.

Advertisement