Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you make eye contact with strangers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

hottstuff wrote: »
    Why's that?

I tend to feel very uncomfortable when people stare/look at me. [Shivers]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

ibh wrote: »
    Oh yea he had lots of other gems like why Aids is so rampant in Africa (South Africa obviously), how in 50 years there will be no 'proper' white people, only darkies, why Iranastan(I kid you not, this is what he called Iran!!) needs a big fcuking bomb dropped on it and that'll sort it all out. Too many other perils of wisdom to remember.
    I have to say, i thought it was hilarious, and i did burst my hole laughing a few times while he continued on, deadly serious...

Other ones I've heard:

england is at the mercy of Al Qaeda because there are some many blacks working at the airports (from an English bloke)

All Immigrants get free cars as soon as they get here

"We" (from an old Irish bloke) should "take out North Korea" (it'd be interesting to see how we'd fare in a war against a fanatical, ideologically-driven nuclear armed nation with as many soldier as we have people)

Jews keep gold under their caps (told to my sister by a bloke who was unaware our Ma is Jewish)

and so on... racists have the funniest anecdotes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

LadyJ wrote: »
    Usually look them in the eye. Looked some hot guy in a tux in the eyes the other night...Then he stole my taxi!

wow lol that was me! I was in a tux and stole some boweler's taxi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I tend to feel very uncomfortable when people stare/look at me. [Shivers]

ah i see , so i take it your a hottie then? ;)
    They say eye contact shows your mental strength and confidence.

ah i see , so i take it your a hottie then? ;)
    They say eye contact shows your mental strength and confidence.

Either a hottie and I would...
    or a minger and ugh...

lol Idk! I never look at people on the street, far too uncomfortable! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

moco wrote: »
    Only if they're good looking and male!

Me too. I am always looking at girl's clothes too which must look like I am checking them out.

Sounds like you have some severe psychological problems

I understand , plenty of weirdos out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Goodshape wrote: »
    Yes, I tend to make eye contact.. and when I'm home (Donegal) it'd be the country nod and probably an "a'right" aswell.

Friendlier people in the country. Do that in Dublin and you'd be lucky to get any reaction at all.

Would you get off the stage! They're not more friendly in Donegal - they're just nosier. You'd swear you were Crocodile Dundee saying "alright" to ever person you walk past on O'Connell street. The reason you nod at people in Donegal or wherever, is because there's only you and him on the road, not thousands of people milling up and down a city street. Only a complete halfwit would say hello to everyone they walk past in a city.

Sounds like you have some severe psychological problems

Eh I'm sure you'll find the majority of people would rather walk to work/college without every second person staring at them...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Oh, no, you must be mistaken. I'm a filthy ride! :D

LadyJ wrote: »
    Oh, no, you must be mistaken. I'm a filthy ride! :D

Result!!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Would you get off the stage! They're not more friendly in Donegal - they're just nosier. You'd swear you were Crocodile Dundee saying "alright" to ever person you walk past on O'Connell street. The reason you nod at people in Donegal or wherever, is because there's only you and him on the road, not thousands of people milling up and down a city street. Only a complete halfwit would say hello to everyone they walk past in a city.

pfft.. Donegal is the most friendlierist place in the whole wide world.

Anyway, not every street in Dublin is populated by thousands of people at all times. People in Dublin / cities in general just tend to have more going on.. no time for exchanging niceties with random passers by.

Plus, chances are, in Donegal you either know the person or they know you, or they know your family, or you think they might... so you don't want to be rude :)

But I stand by my observation, whatever the reasons behind it :: in Dublin and you'd be lucky to get any reaction at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Touché Jimmy, touché, pissed myself:D:D:D

Eh I'm sure you'll find the majority of people would rather walk to work/college without every second person staring at them...:rolleyes:

Its not a problem for the majority of people, as every second perosn dosent stare at them... besides, how do you know someone staring at you unless youre looking at them?

Goodshape wrote: »
    Anyway, not every street in Dublin is populated by thousands of people at all times. People in Dublin / cities in general just tend to have more going on.. no time for exchanging niceties with random passers by.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Always catch their eye. Sometimes smile, sometimes say hello. Guess I'm just one of those annoyingly friendly people!

Dinxminx wrote: »
    Always catch their eye. Sometimes smile, sometimes say hello. Guess I'm just one of those annoyingly friendly people!

Goddamn!!!
    I'm jealous.;)

Its not a problem for the majority of people, as every second perosn dosent stare at them... besides, how do you know someone staring at you unless youre looking at them?

Ha thats actually a very good question...!

You just do the aul looking through the side of the eye trick...you can see them but they cant tell you can them too! :D

Ha thats actually a very good question...!

You just do the aul looking through the side of the eye trick...you can see them but they cant tell you can them too! :D

Or you could get sunglasses! Maybe there a whole new world of staring about to be opened up to you, Cheeckygal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I do not!! Rimming is a most disgusting practice.

Or you could get sunglasses! Maybe there a whole new world of staring about to be opened up to you, Cheeckygal!

LOL! :D

LOL! :D

Or rimming, if flutterins post is correct and I've grossly misjudged the tone of this forum;)

Or rimming, if flutterins post is correct and I've grossly misjudged the tone of this forum;)

What's rimming??? I'm intrigued...

Errrmmm.... check your PMs, I'd probably get banned for announcing here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Goddamn!!!
    I'm jealous.;)

See Dinxy,

this is what happens when your put your photo on the interweb. :D

Dragan wrote: »
    See Dinxy,

this is what happens when your put your photo on the interweb. :D

hehe;)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

i stare at the ground but when i'm feeling especially sparky i will look a few times. Once i made eye contact with a jogger in tight tight shorts and i pissed myself laughing, poor guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I tend to make eye-contact with people most of the time, but if I'm in a bad mood or something it's eyes to the ground...ignoring everyone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

nope

eye contact with strangers is awkward

Advertisement