Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast issues

Options
  • 23-08-2014 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

When I cast a film to the TV it judders as if buffering while goes fine on laptop. I've the settings of the chromecast down to min. Could my laptop be the issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

MorganIRL wrote: »
    When I cast a film to the TV it judders as if buffering while goes fine on laptop. I've the settings of the chromecast down to min. Could my laptop be the issue?

Most likely your wifi network or laptop.

Sending a 720p H264 video from your router to your laptop would be around 4Mbps. Sending a 720p video from your router to your laptop, to your router and then onto the Chromecast would be around 12Mbps overall. A wireless G network can do sustained speeds of around 20Mbps, N realistically around 60Mbps.

But wireless is a half duplex shared bandwidth network that runs at the speed of the slowest device and is subject to large amounts of interference. So pushing 12Mbps continuous on three separate streams is unrealistic unless you have a really good N network with great signal quality or nothing else running in proximity. If your laptop is wireless G, your network is wireless G or your router is on the other side of the house then buffering is most likely going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Most likely your wifi network or laptop.

Sending a 720p H264 video from your router to your laptop would be around 4Mbps. Sending a 720p video from your router to your laptop, to your router and then onto the Chromecast would be around 12Mbps overall. A wireless G network can do sustained speeds of around 20Mbps, N realistically around 60Mbps.

But wireless is a half duplex shared bandwidth network that runs at the speed of the slowest device and is subject to large amounts of interference. So pushing 12Mbps continuous on three separate streams is unrealistic unless you have a really good N network with great signal quality or nothing else running in proximity. If your laptop is wireless G, your network is wireless G or your router is on the other side of the house then buffering is most likely going to happen.

To put it simply, cromecast is rubbish.

jca wrote: »
    To put it simply, cromecast is rubbish.

The chromecast is a great concept at a amazing price.

I work with video communications and quite frankly people in general have little to no understanding on how good or bad a wifi network can be. I don't think Android/OSX/IOS/Windows help either, giving 4-5 bars for **** networks.

The chromecast is a great concept at a amazing price.

I work with video communications and quite frankly people in general have little to no understanding on how good or bad a wifi network can be. I don't think Android/OSX/IOS/Windows help either, giving 4-5 bars for **** networks.

A great concept it may be but that's of little use to the ordinary person on a standard wifi when it doesn't work. People shouldn't have to understand how good or bad their wifi is they just listen to the sales patter and expect it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

My Chromecast worked fine. Loved it. I transferred it to my projector and it worked fine there. Had it there for a few days. No issues... Now I have put it back into my TV, and suddenly its intermittently not working. I get a message about the source not found. When i tab through my "HDMI" connections, i can see the Chromecast app, but when I stop on it, the Source error appears, saying something about a weak signal.

A solution seems to be to power off the tv, and power it on. But that's starting to irritate me now. Any ideas what's causing the problem? It worked perfectly for about a month. (I have tried using each of the HDMI connections but nothing.). It still needs a TV reboot to work each time.

(I had the USB connection in the TV originally. I read its best to use the power adapter, which I did, but with no improvement)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

use this as it is much better than trying to cast through the allcast

marcus2000 wrote: »
    My Chromecast worked fine. Loved it. I transferred it to my projector and it worked fine there. Had it there for a few days. No issues... Now I have put it back into my TV, and suddenly its intermittently not working. I get a message about the source not found. When i tab through my "HDMI" connections, i can see the Chromecast app, but when I stop on it, the Source error appears, saying something about a weak signal.

A solution seems to be to power off the tv, and power it on. But that's starting to irritate me now. Any ideas what's causing the problem? It worked perfectly for about a month. (I have tried using each of the HDMI connections but nothing.). It still needs a TV reboot to work each time.

(I had the USB connection in the TV originally. I read its best to use the power adapter, which I did, but with no improvement)

Do you have multiple AP's?

Do you have multiple AP's?

I dont even know if i have a one AP.

what is an AP?

marcus2000 wrote: »
    I dont even know if i have a one AP.

what is an AP?

My point exactly. AP is short for access point, do you have two access points running i.e. two ssid's from the same router.

jca wrote: »
    My point exactly. AP is short for access point, do you have two access points running i.e. two ssid's from the same router.

My guess is No, but I should clarify that my answer is based on me knowing that I have a router and that running two SSIDs from the same router probably involves knowing what that is and how to do it.....
    (when I connect to wifi, all i see is my wireless router name and the name of my Chromecast dongle..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I have 2 phones, 1 ipad, 1 iptv all running off internet. Iptv is connected by cat 5 rest by wifi. Are these ssids? Can I upgrade router to alieviate this issue?

Advertisement