Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stolen laptop prey and the guards

Options
  • 26-08-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭

Anyone have the guards do anything about a stolen laptop. i got lucky as i had teamviewer on it

i got prey installed and i know where it is. i have ip address and everything.

has anyone got the guards get the laptop back and how did they go about it. the brother rang the local station and the guard didnt have a clue.:rolleyes:

the other gaurds who were dealing with the break in are not back till Friday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

My understanding is that the gardai need to give it over to the equivalent of their IT department who check who owns the IP block. Then they need to apply for a warrant to the ISP, who then give over the owners details. Then they need to apply for warrant to enter the house, to retrieve the laptop. Assuming its still there.

All in all, I doubt its going to happen overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

My understanding is that the gardai need to give it over to the equivalent of their IT department who check who owns the IP block. Then they need to apply for a warrant to the ISP, who then give over the owners details. Then they need to apply for warrant to enter the house, to retrieve the laptop. Assuming its still there.

All in all, I doubt its going to happen overnight.

i know that. i already who owns the ip block and the isp.

just kinda frustrating really that all the goods that were taken might be there.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'd be using teamviewer to install keylogging software on it, plus checking browser history since it was stolen. People *are* dumb enough to log into facebook or email on stolen equipment....

mike_ie wrote: »
    I'd be using teamviewer to install keylogging software on it, plus checking browser history since it was stolen. People *are* dumb enough to log into facebook or email on stolen equipment....

i checked that.;)

its gone off the internet now anyway. hopefully it will be back but i doubt it.

irishgeo wrote: »
    i checked that.;)

its gone off the internet now anyway. hopefully it will be back but i doubt it.

he is back and i got his first name and identify the house and a picture of him smoking illegal substances.

the fools is on facebook i just cant get his second name. if the guards are not going to do anything i am going to remote wipe the thing and really scare the **** out of him. i wonder could i pawn this off to 4chan to scare the **** out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

How does he not see you using Teamviewer or, are you using the webcam via Prey?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

he is back and i got his first name and identify the house and a picture of smoking illegal substances.

the fools is on facebook i just cant get his second name. if the guards are not going to do anything i am going to remote wipe the thing and really scare the **** out of him. i wonder could i pawn this off to 4chan to scare the **** out of him.

Leave 4chan out of it - that's just internet bravado talking. the goal here is to get your laptop back. As I said earlier, personally I'd remote install a keylogger, come back in a day or two and get more information that way. And pass it on to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

he is back and i got his first name and identify the house and a picture of him smoking illegal substances.

by scare you mean get your laptop and all your stuff dumped/destroyed?

i don't think the cops have the power to get it back.

i am using prey. but i need to teamviwer pictures off it later.

how would a key logger get passed the antivirus?

i don't think the cops have the power to get it back.

i am using prey. but i need to teamviwer pictures off it later.

how would a key logger get passed the antivirus?

Because it's just a piece of software like any other, that happens to record keystrokes, and there are plenty of legitimate reasons to want that facility. I've used a few over the years and have never had any issues with antivirus software complaining about them.

Seeing as you already have photos of the guy in question, using illegal substances no less, make copies that you can bring to the police. If it's a small enough area then they may well recognise him form the photographs alone.

• Advertisement

Install GFI max rmm on it and you can have greater control, such as applying scripts to obtain whatever info you may need..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

It depends on the antivirus, I use Sophos and that picks up on keyloggers straight away. If you have pics of the person and an IP, I'd go for a stakeout of the area and confront him on it. Either that or build up some information to give the gardai to see if they can act quicker on it.

kevc2 wrote: »
    If you have pics of the person and an IP, I'd go for a stakeout of the area and confront him on it.

Please don't do that. The kind of scum that steals your laptop can quite often be the kind of scum who will kick your head in over it should you confront them. Leave that kind of work to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Can anyone answer THIS? :confused:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

definitely follow it up with the guards and complain by letter if no action is taken.
    they have better things to do sure but the minister always uses the lack of complaint stats to back up his lack of spending on resources

Confrontation may end up with you being charged, and unlike the scum you will suffer in front of a judge.

I should add it's not my laptop but my brothers. I won't be confronting him. I'll save the pictures of him with the drugs. I must get a screenshot of his Facebook as well. The guards on duty for the robbery are not on duty till Friday. I'll send the info to my brother. For them.

I have set teamviewer to blank the screen and lock external input so he can't see what I do. But I been using prey. For the screenshot stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The guards on duty for the robbery are not on duty till Friday.
    Go up the chain of command. For all you know, the laptop will be sold on between now and whenever they get a warrant.

Victor wrote: »
    Go up the chain of command. For all you know, the laptop will be sold on between now and whenever they get a warrant.
    I'll get the brother to try.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod: Right folks, I'm not liking where this thread is heading so I'm closing it. OP your best course of action is to go to the Gardai, providing any evidence you have. Keylogging, accessing accounts that don't belong to you is very dodgy territory regardless if the machine has been stolen. Not to mention the current owner may not have actually stolen it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement