Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shampoo

Options
  • 10-03-2007 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey guys, I was wondering the correct way to shampoo. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be doing it and the internet has conflicting advice.

Should I use a little or a lot? (I have quite short hair)
    Should I dilute it or put it straight on me head?
    Should I very gently massage scalp or rub quite vigorously?

How long should it take to rinse out, there always seems to be residue no matter how much rinsing i do. (should i be rubbing my scalp?)

Basically I would like to know how you shampoo. Please no smart-alec answers, just maybe a little help. Also, is conditioner really essential?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

This is my way!

I wet hair thoroughly. I pour a little bit on my palms (and I have long hair), spread it out on my hands, apply it to the top of my head and massage it fairly gently from there downwards. Rinse it off (doesn't take long for me to get rid of suds - don't know why this is) and repeat.

Imo, conditioner is only useful for long hair - in fact, I only apply it to the ends of my hair, not the scalp as it contributes to greasiness, I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 shampoobluez

thanks for replyin! and I can't imagine the shampoo lathers up if ye dont use much on long hair? maybe I'm using too much... or washing too often... well keep em coming people :)

thanks for replyin! and I can't imagine the shampoo lathers up if ye dont use much on long hair? maybe I'm using too much... or washing too often... well keep em coming people :)

Well, you don't get much the first time; you get more lather the second time.

One other thing I'de like to know - what is the ideal pressure of the water? Does it have to be coming out really fast in order to properly rinse out or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You should be able to feel when your hair is clean, also it will usually make a squeeky noise when its totally clean.

I use Neutrogena volume shampoo, I just discovered it recently and it's great. Previously I had used Pantene but found my hair was falling out a lot more than usual and I had to wash my hair every day (as opposed to every other day) because the roots would get greasy by the end of the day. Turns out Pantene coats your hair in a waxy substance which is REALLY bad for your hair.

I only use leave-in conditioner now, I find using normal conditioner leaves my hair feeling a bit lank.

• Advertisement

One other thing I'de like to know - what is the ideal pressure of the water? Does it have to be coming out really fast in order to properly rinse out or what?

Well, the stronger the water pressure, the quicker the rinsing, I find.

yea I'm using v05 but I've noticed there always seems to be something in my hair no matter how much I rinse, maybe it's the same as pantene in that it leaves crap on there. I may try that neutrogena, I just feel like it's my method that is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Hey guys, I was wondering the correct way to shampoo. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be doing it and the internet has conflicting advice.

How long should it take to rinse out, there always seems to be residue no matter how much rinsing i do. (should i be rubbing my scalp?)

Hey
    I only use a 50c size blob of shampoo. If your hair is thoroughly wet you shouldn't need to dilute the shampoo. I just massage it gently into the scalp and lather it up and rinse for a couple of mins. I don't know what you mean when you say there's residue in your hair after washing. You mustn't be rinsing for long enough.
    I don't agree with the person who said your hair should squeek (!) after washing. Cos that means you have used too much shampoo and stripped it of its natural oils. Its the same as over washing your face. My hair never squeeks after I wash it and it always comes out fresh and shiny after washing.
    Regarding shampoos, I find L'Oreal the best. Especially their 'cashmere shine' (pink bottle).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Basically I would like to know how you shampoo. Please no smart-alec answers, just maybe a little help. Also, is conditioner really essential?

Thanks

I use a squeeze about half the size of my palm for my hair, which is nearly down to my waist. You should use as much as necessary, really. Start out with a but about the size of a 50c piece, then add more as necessary. Your hair should feel completely covered. There's no need to dilute it! I put it on my scalp first, and massage it in. Then I work it through the lengths. I'm not a fan of piling all my hair on top of my head and vigorously rubbing, mostly because it encourages knots. Conditioner should only be used on the length of your hair - that is, the bit below the bobble if it was in a ponytail. It's essential if your hair is dry, if you use a lot of styling products, and if you colour your hair.

It only takes me a minute or two to get all the suds out of mine. Some shampoos do leave a residue, I found L'Oreal always left my hair with a residue on it.

ok people thanks for all the input so far! So to clear something up, I don't need to have the water coming out at a million miles a second to rinse the shampoo? I find that when the water comes down really fast it is harsh on my scalp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i use as little shampoo as possible....just enough so that it lathers up and i rinse like a manic....my hair is gorgeous by the way;) :p

"rinse like a manic" does that involve using the fingers on the scalp to sorta remove the shampoo residue or is it simply standing under the water for the long time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

this has got to be a piss take :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Spend twice as long rinsing than you usually would (Y)

"rinse like a manic" does that involve using the fingers on the scalp to sorta remove the shampoo residue or is it simply standing under the water for the long time?

I do both, but gently. Show your hair you love it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ninabissett

Thats one question I'd like to ask a professional aye. Like I think it depends on what kind of products you use as well. I've been told if using Kerastase, not more than a 20c coin. Sounds ridiculous so I make it twice the size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭tamburlaine

simu wrote:
    This is my way!

I wet hair thoroughly. I pour a little bit on my palms (and I have long hair), spread it out on my hands, apply it to the top of my head and massage it fairly gently from there downwards. Rinse it off (doesn't take long for me to get rid of suds - don't know why this is) and repeat.

Imo, conditioner is only useful for long hair - in fact, I only apply it to the ends of my hair, not the scalp as it contributes to greasiness, I find.

How can you repeat?? What would ensue would be disastrous. Disastrous as in a severe 'furry' hair day. Or should I say week. Not even a blast of wax or gel could sort it out. Real Michael Bolton stuff.

Advertisement