Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas Heating Noise from Attic

• 13-11-2012 8:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19

Hi
    We have a new system installed and every morning when teh heating comes on there is a large rush of water falling from the attic and then the main water tank starts to fill... Its so loud that it wakes the house up.. Any reason for the water noise ?
    Ed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 emorr1975

bumping up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

Hello,

Is their one or two tanks in the attic one big and one small.

The big tank should not be affected by the heating in any way.

Have you oil, gas, solid fuel heating or perhaps combined ?

Have you a pressurized hot and cold water system ?

Hi

Its 2 Tanks in the attic, I used to have oil but now have gas installed.
    I'm going to go in the attic in the morning and see exactly whats happening .

Ed

Hi, sods law its not repeated itself over the last few days.. I went up the loft and nothing happened but when in the airing cupboard there is some water moving in the pipes when the heating is switched on which again is only breif but loud enough to wake us up... The new thing is teh when teh heating is on there is liek a constant drippung noise coming from the hot water tank which is loud enough to hear from the bedrooms but as soon as the heating goes off it stops... any ideas on this ?

If you got a new gas boiler installed, is the system now pressurized or is the small tank still in use ?

Most gas boilers are now pressurized and do not need a small tank.

Have you notice the noise coming on when you press the hot water switch or the radiator switch ?

• Advertisement

Hi not too sure but the tank that used to feed the oild boiler is now gone and a small red metal one is now in the loft but I dont think that is a water tank is it ,,,,, I dont have seperate switches on the boiler for hot water/heating.. There is a maunal switch in the airing cupboard if I want hot water only but generally I have hot water and heating when I switch teh boiler on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭boiler break downs

emorr1975 wrote: »
    Hi not too sure but the tank that used to feed the oild boiler is now gone and a small red metal one is now in the loft but I dont think that is a water tank is it ,,,,, I dont have seperate switches on the boiler for hot water/heating.. There is a maunal switch in the airing cupboard if I want hot water only but generally I have hot water and heating when I switch teh boiler on
    what make of boiler is it.
    do you have an automatic filling loop.
    is there water coming out of the prv .

Ok the red tank in attic seems like a secondary pressure/expansion vessel for your new gas boiler. The small tank should not be use unless you have another heat source back boiler/stove ?

You need to check with your installer and ask is the small tank in the attic is no longer in use. Is the red vessel for the new gas boiler. Most likely this is the setup but you should confirm.

The switch in the hot press for your hot water does it control the gas boiler to heat your hot water or the immersion heater ?

Do you have anywhere switches to separate your radiators from your hot water when you turn on your gas boiler?

Do you have any zone/motorized valves ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I'm wondering is it a so-called semi-sealed system fed off the cwst. Non-return valve failure. Air in system. Boiler fires, pump on, air moves back though cwst & alters level of cwst & thus moves the float valve to allow it to temporary fill.

I'm wondering is it a so-called semi-sealed system fed off the cwst. Non-return valve failure. Air in system. Boiler fires, pump on, air moves back though cwst & alters level of cwst & thus moves the float valve to allow it to temporary fill.

I was thinking along those lines. I do not think a semi sealed system would allow the gas boiler to fire. Unless it is open vented or their is a setting on the gas boiler to allow it to fire on a lower pressure.
    If someone was to install like that it is normally to hide a leak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

It would fire if the house is a two storey as most gas boilers will fire at 0.5 bar or sometimes just below.
    It would also not be usual for some unscrupulous installers to link out the pressure switch!

Advertisement