Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air locked oil boiler

• 16-11-2012 1:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've stupidly left the oil run out and the boiler is air locked. I've got more oil but I've un air locked it before a couple of times but my question is--- is there a little valve or something I can get that I fit on the boiler that will do rather than gettin a mouthful of kerosine AGAIN!!!!

Thanks in advance

Tommy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Yes there is an attachment called a Boiler Buddy or Boiler Mate. I can't remember which. Chadwicks sell them. They were on Dragon's Den.
    Expensive for what they are but if you are running out of oil a lot, they could be a handy attachment for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

I knew I saw it on tv!! The girlfriend owes me a tenner!! Thanks a million Shane. Is it just something that fits on the fuel line??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Tommy87 wrote: »
    I knew I saw it on tv!! The girlfriend owes me a tenner!! Thanks a million Shane. Is it just something that fits on the fuel line??

If she pays you, you can split it with me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

Just found it online lads. Not cheap though. But if I want to keep my taste buds I think I'll invest!! Thanks for the help Shane and jumbone.

http://www.boilerbleed.com/contact.html

Shane, seeing the price of it, I think I'll have to put the tenner towards it!!

• Advertisement

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Think i saw it in Woodies DIY for 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Just out of curiosity.....

Whats the difference between that and the tiger loop.

Same result, different suppliers

Different prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Tommy87 wrote: »

let us know if you collect than tenner ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

It's basicly a vent so?

Just open the same nut he attaches the boilerbleed to.

Only useful for someone who would be nervous about going at stuff

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

or just use the vacuum vent on the pump rather than the pressure test point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

A bit off topic.
    From what I hear the boiler bleed is not selling well at all I know one local supplier that has only sold 2 he just cant shift them.

Anyone that has the ability to fit one themselves can generally just bleed the pump anyway, some lads working on boilers wont fit them because they see them as doing them out of work.

Even though I have fitted a few I personally dont like them as they can"encourage" some people to run low or out of oil regularly as they dont need to call someone to bleed the boiler. And the more a pump runs without oil the shorter its life is going to be.

I would teach all my customers who are capable of how to correctly bleed the boiler and check for leaks, using the vacuum grub screw is the tank is not too far off.

I would have no issue fitting a boiler bleed if any customer asked me to (only happened once since they came on the market)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

DGOBS wrote: »
    I would teach all my customers who are capable of how to correctly bleed the boiler and check for leaks, using the vacuum grub screw is the tank is not too far off.

I would have no issue fitting a boiler bleed if any customer asked me to (only happened once since they came on the market)

Fair play to you DGOBS once they are capable it is the way to go, I find quite a few people do/try it anyway, mind you there are a lot who turn the pressure adjustment, specially on the RDB where it and the pressure gauge port are both allen key fittings.

I have not declined to fit them but to be honest but I dont suggest them.
    If its a local boiler that I service annually I usually dont charge to bleed up a pump, anyone can get caught out once in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Different prices.

The tiger loop does it automaticely,no fiddling with it by hand, it also allows for the tank to be lower than the burner, ideal for the modern Grant boilers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

The most important thing is to make sure and refit the cover. Otherwise the lawnmower or wheelbarrow gets pushed in, and presses the button, oil everywhere :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

just tried something and it works a treat as the v port on pumps are 1/8" bsp thread tried a mf mini ball valve and it fits and works a treat cost 4eu

i used to work for a pneumatic co years ago and had some fittings lying around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭boiler break downs

kscobie wrote: »
    The most important thing is to make sure and refit the cover. Otherwise the lawnmower or wheelbarrow gets pushed in, and presses the button, oil everywhere :eek:
    that's why i don't recommend them

Different prices.

A Boiler Bleed is only an easy device to bleed the oil pump instead of having to open a nut to do so.
    A Tiger Loop is a device to de-aerate the fuel when the burner is higher than the outlet of the oil tank. Think of it as a mini-oil tank. The burner pump sucks the oil from the oil tank to the Tiger Loop, but this also brings with it, unwanted air. The Tiger Loop removes this air and therefore allows this de-oxygenated fuel into the burner oil pump.

down in cork alot of shops stocked them because they knew him. didnt want to say no. but sell feck all

• Advertisement

It was a solution to. Non existent problem IMHO anyone capable of bleeding the burner doesn't need one, and the rest shouldn't have one!

If it was something needed either/both danfoss or riello would have incorporated it already as part of the pump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

I recall one of the fuel suppliers advertising that the delivery driver will bleed your boiler for you if you've run empty.

That was a few years back, dunno if they still do it.

deandean wrote: »
    I recall one of the fuel suppliers advertising that the delivery driver will bleed your boiler for you if you've run empty.

That was a few years back, dunno if they still do it.

Alot will, long as it's not 4 on a Friday

Advertisement