Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting e-mail

Options
  • 16-11-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭

Well, the Pleasures of Winter launched officially on Wednesday, it's #3 in the paperback charts (and might even go higher if Easons manage to put it on the shelves) and I was hoping for a few days to relax.

Today I got an e-mail - Penguin want another book. By February!

I'm honestly not sure whether to cheer or cry.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They want you to write and edit a book in under three months, with Christmas in between? How long did the last one take?

You should most probably cheer though - being paid to do what you love is always a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

You'll have to dig out the Kama Sutra and find some new angles!!

It's a good thing though. You're popular and that's not something many writers can brag about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

EileenG wrote: »
    Well, the Pleasures of Winter launched officially on Wednesday, it's #3 in the paperback charts (and might even go higher if Easons manage to put it on the shelves) and I was hoping for a few days to relax.

Um, I saw it today on the shelf in Eason's in Heuston Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Antilles wrote: »
    Um, I saw it today on the shelf in Eason's in Heuston Station.

Easons in O'Connell Street has it buried on a table surrounded by stacks of 50. It's on sale, but not visible

They want you to write and edit a book in under three months, with Christmas in between? How long did the last one take?

You should most probably cheer though - being paid to do what you love is always a good thing.

The last one took five and a half weeks, and it nearly killed us. We wrote all the time. I barely saw daylight. My family moved house without telling me.

• Advertisement

Easons in O'Connell Street has it buried on a table surrounded by stacks of 50. It's on sale, but not visible

Hmm, well in Heuston I saw it up on the "new releases" shelf right beside the counter so hopefully the other branches will do the same!

Hope so. Getting very paranoid about where it is shelved. I've already seen that the bookshops that have it displayed (like Tesco) are selling out, while Easons is not.

Put on a red shirt and black pants like the Eason's uniform, then go in and start moving your books to the high traffic areas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

The last one took five and a half weeks, and it nearly killed us. We wrote all the time. I barely saw daylight. My family moved house without telling me.

Now you know what to do you should be able to do it faster, say four weeks.
    Nearly killing doesn't count, if it didn't kill you it doesn't matter.
    There is no daylight worth bothering about this time of year.
    Did you find where they moved to?

Cancel Christmas. By your mother's standards you have excommunicated yourself anyway, so have no right to be celebrating a Christian festival for good living people.:)

echo beach wrote: »
    Now you know what to do you should be able to do it faster, say four weeks.
    Nearly killing doesn't count, if it didn't kill you it doesn't matter.
    There is no daylight worth bothering about this time of year.
    Did you find where they moved to?

Cancel Christmas. By your mother's standards you have excommunicated yourself anyway, so have no right to be celebrating a Christian festival for good living people.:)

Oh well, if that's all it takes...

No, we want at least ten weeks this time. Twelve is better. And we are going to nail Penguin down to a plot this time, so they don't change their mind half way through again.

We've been thrashing out a plot today. Anyone have contacts in the SAS, been climbing in Death Valley or know how to bring down the cloud?

• Advertisement

I was in Tesco Tullamore today and your book was sold out - hopefully that's a good thing!

I'd have thought having your book on shelves in Tesco is better than somewhere like Easons - more throughput/sales. Would I be wrong?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We've been thrashing out a plot today. Anyone have contacts in the SAS, been climbing in Death Valley or know how to bring down the cloud?

I'm liking where this is going!

Das Kitty wrote: »

Don't get confused - those are just the distractions she needs to overcome so she can concentrate on coming up with a plot.

Das Kitty wrote: »

Well, we're revising a bit, after talking to techies. Now we want to know if anyone has experience of satelite manipulation, Siberia or MI5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

. Now we want to know if anyone has experience of satelite manipulation, Siberia or MI5
    If you have knowledge of MI5 surely you aren't allowed to tell.:)

echo beach wrote: »
    If you have knowledge of MI5 surely you aren't allowed to tell.:)

You might have captured an MI5 agent breaking into your satellite control station in Siberia.

I control all my satellites from Murmansk, and I've only ever had to deal with CIA agents, so no luck there.

Penguin didn't like that outline at all. Too much plot, not enough kinky sex. Back to the drawing board. Or the orgy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Penguin didn't like that outline at all. Too much plot, not enough kinky sex. Back to the drawing board. Or the orgy.

Damn. Well I'd read that without the kinky sex so that's a shame.

Orgy though. All I can think about is the pain of avoiding pronoun confusion. (Yes, I'm a saddo!)

Well, maybe not the orgy, but the fetish club. Time to break out the floggers, flails, canes and crops.

• Advertisement

"Plotlines? Plotlines? We don't need no stinkin' plotlines!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Elencst

Well, we're revising a bit, after talking to techies. Now we want to know if anyone has experience of satelite manipulation, Siberia or MI5
    Hmm, Siberia, you say? I could help you with this one :) I'm from Siberia originally.

Eileen, how about this?
    NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH

After a messy breakup, Amy moves to the suburbs to get away from the hustle and bustle of inner city life. When her neighbour Sandra invites her to a house party, she is delighted to find herself in good company. But as the night ends with keys on the table, Amy realises suburbia might be more fun than she ever imagined...

;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah, write about a menage d/s relationship.
    :cool:

They don't want menage. Or either of the MCs having sex with anyone else, though what they did before they met each other is fair play. And they don't want anything that could be considered sleazy, so no clubs or anything.

Who knew being easy could be so hard?

They don't want menage. Or either of the MCs having sex with anyone else, though what they did before they met each other is fair play. And they don't want anything that could be considered sleazy, so no clubs or anything.

Have one of the characters be a writer, writing about a character based on herself having sex with everyone that crosses her path and getting refused publication?

Have one of the characters be a writer, writing about a character based on herself having sex with everyone that crosses her path and getting refused publication?

Oh, oh!

"Struggling with writer's block, a woman embarks on a seedy affair with her publicist, where inspiration soon blossoms."

So meta.

When Harry Meta Sally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Wow! how wonderful. I congratulate you wholeheartedly and wish you continued success.

Wish I had this gift for writing.

Advertisement