Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ign Top 100 rpg games

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Skyrim at #7 is a joke but I am surprised by the top 3. While not my personal preference I can't argue with 3 solid picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

Actually, I don't think the games in top 20 are that bad. I'd say most of them deserves to be there. Ordering is just personal preference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Skyrim being so high is really just a flavour of the month choice. Also Mass Effect 1 being so high? It feels really shoddy these days with the copy and pasted dungeons and mako parts. Mass Effect 2 was way better. Final Fantasy Tactics being ahead of Tactics Ogre is a joke considering TO is pretty much FFT on steroids are far superior. No Panzer Dragoon Saga anywhere on the list is a crime. FFVI being number 1 is a bit of a joke. While I agree it's the best of the Final Fantasy games it's hardly the pinnacle of the genre. Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Ultima VII, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Planescape Torment, Suikoden 2, Dragon Quest V amongst others would be far more fitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Am i missing something with Pokemon ? I've tried it a couple of times (For about an hour or two) on an emulator and it seemed nothing more than a repetitive dueling RPG with practically no story.. does it actually develop into more than that after a while ? Better than Deus Ex/SS 2/ Fallout 2 ?

Besides that, i can understand the rest of the top 20 picks (Even if i don't agree with games like skyrim or ME being so high).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

Magill wrote: »
    Am i missing something with Pokemon ? I've tried it a couple of times (For about an hour or two) on an emulator and it seemed nothing more than a repetitive dueling RPG with practically no story.. does it actually develop into more than that after a while ?
    Well the main story is always a rehash of the getting badges malarky. It's just tamagotchi with a rock-paper-scissor fight system :P I've played a fair few of them but only because they're on a portable consoles like gba and DS. I don't consider them to be as good as some people make them out to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pokemon takes a while to get into but once you do it's pretty much got one of the deepest combat systems of any RPG. The story is light hearted fluff but it does it so well and with such humour and then there's the real meat of the game, the competitive battles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The story is light hearted fluff but it does it so well and with such humour and then there's the real meat of the game, the competitive battles.

No !! It's collecting them all !! Gotta catch em all ! :D
    I had 151 at one stage ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Pokèmon's just pure addiction imo, and I don't mean that in a bad way at all either, haven't played any version in a while but loved every bit of them.

And while we're on the subject of repetition, Skyrim at #7????? no thanks.

And from a very quick glance at the rest of the list, Final Fantasy IX's a bit low at #88 for my liking, especially since tactics advance got above it and even X for that matter. But that's more of a personal opinion and I'm sure there's plenty who'd agree with the ranking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Final Fantasy VI is an interesting choice for the number 1 spot. I was sure they'd cop out and go with Final Fantasy VII. I would have Final Fantasy XIII on there before Legend of Dragoon.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Of that list I have played the following and how I rate them.

10. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    9. Final Fantasy VII
    8. Valkyria Chronicles
    7. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    6. Mass Effect 2
    5. Fallout 3
    4. Mass Effect
    3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    2. The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition
    1. Deus Ex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

EDIT:

Never mind, I only saw that it was RPG only now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Seems an odd rating system. Final Fantasy, though hugely important to the genre and a massive influence on almost everything that followed for years is in no way better than the other FF games they have it ahead of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Seems an odd rating system. Final Fantasy, though hugely important to the genre and a massive influence on almost everything that followed for years is in no way better than the other FF games they have it ahead of.

I suppose they're considering the long term effects of the game in that it saved Squaresoft from bankruptcy (hence the title) and enabled them to continue on to produce the classic FFs we're all so fond of.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

FF might seem to be a huge innovator and influence for the genre but if you look at it from a japanese perspective FF was always playing catch up with Dragon Quest. I found the early FF games especially the ones with jobs were trying to emulate what Dragon Quest 2-4 did with their excellent job and class systems, only really nailing it with FF5. Even FF6 was a reaction to DQ5 and Phantasy Star 4 and their superb narratives which FF6 took a good stab at and didn't reach. FF just seems like an innovator because the only DQ game before it was DQ1 in america and stuff like Phantasy Star, a much better game released a few days before FF, went ignored. The DQ games were way more advanced by the time each FF came out.

It wasn't until FFVII when DQVII was in development hell that FF really became a trend setter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Seems like they went with the populist vote with FFVI. As in, most popular RPG series and probably the most liked game in that series, at least in recent times. There are a lot of titles I'd place above it and like someone else said SMT:Nocturne/Lucifer's Call is a very obvious omission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

cant believe they went through that list without putting Arcanum on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Why are there no Zelda games, particularly Zelda II which has an experience points level up system?

Why are there no Zelda games, particularly Zelda II which has an experience points level up system?

The Zelda games aren't RPGs, well except for zelda 2 which to be honest isn't that good.

I'm surprised about Mass Effect 3 not making the list, when ME1 and ME2 are there.

Advertisement