Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Ruddy supposedly in the squad as well. Probably be Green as the third keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

I think Michael Carrick deserves a place in the squad. Fairly consistent for Manchester United over the past season despite all of the stick he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Smalling, Walker and Wilshere are injured I thought? Parker and Bent are doubts.

Team for WC 2014.
    Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Ruddy supposedly in the squad as well. Probably be Green as the third keeper.

Ah John Ruddy. Had him in my fantasy team this year. Bloody hopeless record. 3 CSs I think all season. Decent enough keeper. Should be the last man to go in goal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

KingdomYid wrote: »
    What is the deal with Richards? Why is he not playing for City regularly?
    cgpg5 wrote: »
    It's cos he was injured and Zabaleta did so well in his absence they couldn't drop him when Richards returned (United last week). Richards is still City's first choice right back strictly speaking

Surely he'll be in the squad. Amazing player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

These players would seem to be certain of inclusion:
    Hart, Green, Carson(? - or whoever, it's the third choice keeper)
    Jones, Terry, Cahill, Lescott, Johnson, Cole, Baines
    Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Parker (if fit)
    Young, Walcott
    Rooney, Welbeck

That leaves room for Carrick, if Parker doesn't make it, and five others. Probably two wingers and three strikers. Let's say Chamberlain, Lennon, Carroll, Sturridge and Bent (if fit?). That's assuming Hodgson doesn't go for some complete outsider like Walcott in 2006.

Edit: Just seeing the mentions of Joe Cole. I predict a riot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Henry Winter twitter

#eng Euro 2012 squad: Rio Ferdinand OUT, dropped, may retire. Peter Crouch OUT, dropped. Micah Richards OUT, dropped. Kyle Walker OUT, inj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Carrick2G_468x323.jpg

axg13o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Haha, Terry brought over Rio? :D England are amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Smalling, Walker and Wilshere are injured I thought? Parker and Bent are doubts.

Ah yep, forgot about Wilshere. Walker definitely out?

In which case, would probably bring the likes of Martin Kelly, Rodwell or Henderson. Before anyone starts I'm not trolling but genuinely, how often does a third choice defender or midfielder get played? Not often. So bring players to get experience of the tournament who could be there or thereabouts next time around.
    Team for WC 2014.

Nah I meant for this tournament with a view to building for 2014. Never going to happen but it'd be the way to go IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ShaneU wrote: »
    Henry Winter twitter

#eng Euro 2012 squad: Rio Ferdinand OUT, dropped, may retire. Peter Crouch OUT, dropped. Micah Richards OUT, dropped. Kyle Walker OUT, inj
    Absolutely ****ing crazy if Richards is dropped and he's not injured. There has to be something going on behind the scenes or something.

Also, if Carroll goes instead of Crouch, well....... there's no justification tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

There is to be fair. Carroll is much more mobile than Crouch & have been playing very well lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

ShaneU wrote: »
    Henry Winter twitter

This has to be joke. Richards was one of the best full back in the league. Lets say he was not better than Walker but Walker is out Injured. So how can he not make the squad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mr Alan wrote: »
    There is to be fair. Carroll is much more mobile than Crouch & have been playing very well lately.
    Just because he was decent in his last couple of games for Liverpool doesn't override the fact that he's be awful for the rest of the season.

Crouch, right now, is simply a better player than Carroll, and he's been there and done that with England. There really is no contest between the two.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Carroll has been comfortably the better player of the 2 since around January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mayordenis wrote: »
    Carroll has been comfortably the better player of the 2 since around January.

Clearly, but who gives a **** about those that don't acknowledge it? I really hope Carroll is somehow not selected for either the euros or Olympics tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I wish majicmarker was england manager that way every Liverpool player would have the summer off and be well rested for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

I'd definitely have Ferdinand in there ahead of Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

However, no doubt that Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Rio (although rumour is he'll be dropped) will be picked much to the detriment of England's future - and therein lies the problem with English media and supporters, it's always the 'here and now' that they care about.

Damn right it's "here and now" we care about. Why shouldn't it? We'd rather make the second round (or even maybe, possibly, with a huge slice of luck) a semi final with an experienced squad than go out in the first with a young squad.

We could go out in the first round with an experienced squad but if they're the best 23 players available and we're just not good enough to get out of the group then fine.

These tournaments don't come around that often - I'd have thought that Irish people would know that full well - and every nation lucky enough to qualify should be taking their 23 best players and doing everything they can to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I wish majicmarker was england manager that way every Liverpool player would have the summer off and be well rested for next season.

Me too !! He's not getting the reaction he desired !

Hail MagicMarker !

Please no Pool players at the Euro's..

Mr Alan wrote: »

untitled-1duyw9.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Renn that's not even close to a retort to what Mr. Alan said, just pointless dick wagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

To be fair I'd rather see Carroll go ahead of Crouch. Has shown glimpses of what he is capable of in the latter part of the season and is a player who will be around for the next 10-12 years, gettig experience of a major tournament will only benefit him and England in he future.

Whereas Crouch has never been able to establish himself as a mainstay in the team with only 19 starts.

It's time to get rid of the established 'best most experienced player' syndrome and give youth a shot. It's amazing what can happen with a little faith in youth and the right nourishment.

It most certainly is not about the here and now, England need a change to grow and go forwards in the future, even if that means writing one tournament off to experience and experimentation.

It's not as if the established internationals were going to win the tournament anyway, is it?

And just to add, to me, the leaving out of Micah Richards is unexplainable, even moreso with the defensive absenteeism through injury that is involved.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Renn that's not even close to a retort to what Mr. Alan said, just pointless dick wagging.

Tbf, I saw mobile + playing well and the first thing that came in to my head was that.

I'm happy with my dick wagging, thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

If I was a Liverpool fan I'd be praying Carroll doesn't get selected.

I don't see England doing too well, and he will be an easy target especially if he ended up getting game time.

The lad has some decent end of season form to build on for the start of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Carroll is far superior in the air than crouch and seeing as one of them will be used as "plan b" this gave him the edge I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'm an Englishman and I don't think england have a hope in hell of winning the tournament. As such it is right we blood the younger players here to make 2014 more likely.

My squad (Based on all the rumours of people being excluded).

Hart, Ruddy, Carson, Cole, Baines, Lescott, Cahill, Caulker, Jones, G. Johnson, M. Kelly, Britton, Parker, Lampard, Howson, Rooney, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Young, A. Johnson, Milner, Holt, Walcott/Carroll, Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

People are overstating Richards' impact on the City team this year. He was only involved in 24 of the 38 league games and played 31 in total. He lost his place to Zabaleta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Were I a pool fan I'd prefer England take Crouch. Nothing short of a hatrick in the final will prevent the media from painting Carroll's performance as further proof that he is a useless €35m flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

G.K. wrote: »
    I'm an Englishman and I don't think england have a hope in hell of winning the tournament. As such it is right we blood the younger players here to make 2014 more likely.

We're far, far more likely to win Euro 2012 than we are a World Cup in Brazil. And I say that as someone who will be happy if we get out of the group this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

People are overstating Richards' impact on the City team this year. He was only involved in 24 of the 38 league games and played 31 in total. He lost his place to Zabaleta.

He didn't lose his place, he got injured and zabaleta came in and was excellent. You don't drop a player in form. Unless you're Kenny Dalglish and the player in question is called Andy Carroll of course.

Advertisement