Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

At what point does petrol become more attractive that diesel?

Options
  • 21-06-2011 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Well then, when does it become more economical to run a petrol over a diesel car?

Please don't bring it down to an argument over dpf's, dmf's and vagsh ite.

The reason I ask is I was out for a walk earlier today and came across some nice cheapish petrol cars including this one:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Impreza/2.0R-(ST/201110201530945/advert?channel=CARS
    and
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Impreza/2.0-RX-S/201114201908303/advert?channel=CARS

The reason for all of this is I was in a Ford main dealer picking up a part for the mothers Mondeo last week and the dealer was literally trying to drag me into the salesroom to get me to trade my Passat for a Focus.

I don't have the Passat long but its boring the snot out of me, its a great car just no fun. I'll hold out until Jan to change (I enjoy the searching a lot) and maybe then I may decide to upgrade. Anyway it seemed mad to pay 15k for a 2010 Focus diesel when one of these could be had for 12k minus the trade in of my own car. Seems like cheap fun......

Anyway the important bit, annual mileage has been close to 25k miles a year and most driving is done on motorways....

Discuss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

if you are just going to be using it driving locally, then there is no real benefit to having a diesel in my opinion. The benefits of a diesel are good mileage over long distances. The benefits are negated when you only drive it around town

Sorry i only say the mileage now, you should definitely go for a diesel with that sort of mileage. You should get a diesel that has very high mile per gallon ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

petrol is always more attractive than diesel unless your towing or doing mega miles , i do about 30,000 miles a year in my jeep, can get the VAT back on diesel and carry machinery all the time, im one of the people who diesel suits, if i had the money to have a second car or i did less than 20,000 miles a year it would be a petrol car without question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    if you are just going to be using it driving locally, then there is no real benefit to having a diesel in my opinion. The benefits of a diesel are good mileage over long distances. The benefits are negated when you only drive it around town
    Most miles are on the motorway on long journeys. The diesel saves a fortune in running costs but bringing purchasing costs into it the petrol seems to make more sense.

That and the fact the diesel is very dull to drive. maybe I need a more powerful diesel to change my mind but that's what I think currently

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Petrol becomes more attractive than diesel when you want to hear your engine roar. A 3.5 Diesel still will not cut the mustard when a good aul Petrol V8 is the only cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Usually when you turn the key and start driving..

• Advertisement

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Petrol becomes more attractive than diesel when you want to hear your engine roar.
    That's very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

the tdi engines these days are a lot different than the older diesel cars. The power in a new tdi would surprise you. You will never be able to compare it to a petrol car but a two litre diesel has plenty of kick when you want it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    the tdi engines these days are a lot different than the older diesel cars. The power in a new tdi would surprise you. You will never be able to compare it to a petrol car but a two litre diesel has plenty of kick when you want it

After the lag:D

johnos1984 wrote: »

I don't have the Passat long but its boring the snot out of me, its a great car just no fun. ............. Anyway it seemed mad to pay 15k for a 2010 Focus diesel when one of these could be had for 12k minus the trade in of my own car. Seems like cheap fun......

Anyway the important bit, annual mileage has been close to 25k miles a year and most driving is done on motorways....

Discuss

I don't think a 4wd non turbo Subaru is much fun tbh, I'd nearly prefer the diesel focus :)

25K miles at 50mpg in a diesel at €1.43/litre is €3256/annum

25K miles at 35mpg in a petrol at €1.48/litre is €4799/annum

I don'y know if you'd see 35mpg from those Subarus with the 4wd tbh.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I don't think a 4wd non turbo Subaru is much fun tbh, I'd nearly prefer the diesel focus :)

25K miles at 50mpg in a diesel at €1.43/litre is €3256/annum

25K miles at 35mpg in a petrol at €1.48/litre is €4799/annum

I don'y know if you'd see 35mpg from those Subarus with the 4wd tbh.
    If there was some semblance of 'poke' then 30mpg would never be seen :D

I got a shock at the main dealer tbh. The salesperson nearly took my hand off when I told her what I was driving. Lots of Focus Zetec Diesels etc. but I'm sure the price to change would be too high and I can't see much of an improvement in the 'fun situation' going from the Passat to the Focus.

In fact I'd see no improvement in anything other than a larger loan repayment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭magunkey

When it's free!:D

In fact I'd see no improvement in anything other than a larger loan repayment.

You'd see that in the Subaru too, and an extra €30 to €40 a week in fuel costs.

You'd see that in the Subaru too, and an extra €30 to €40 a week in fuel costs.
    That's true but then again at least I'd enjoy that bit......maybe not in the scoobaru posted above but in a cheaper large petrol

I dunno, cruising on the motorway the Passat may be no more dreary or boring than anything else. €30 extra on the go go juice bills a week is a fair lash of cash. You should have bought Tragedy's ZT off him :D

I dunno, cruising on the motorway the Passat may be no more dreary or boring than anything else. €30 extra on the go go juice bills a week is a fair lash of cash.

Truth be told the Passat is perfect at the motorway run, no issues there. It's when I'm off that I'd like some enjoyment. The drive to school is 20 minutes return a day 5 days a week, some nice roads where I live too for driving just long weekend trip is the killer for a nice car
    You should have bought Tragedy's ZT off him :D

Has he sold it already :(

Has he sold it already :(

I meant the red diesel one you test drove :)
    Best (ish) of both worlds without denting the pocket.

True enough. I may go that route though next time and import one............or else something of a sleeper from another manufacturer

I'm liking your idea and me sticking to something I won't need to change again after a month

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201123390166601/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/model/zt/make/mg/page/1/postcode/ab241wu/radius/1500?logcode=p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

When most of the population have traded for the newer and cheaper diesels because of the lower tax and the government then decides on a more equitable method of road tax and puts the tax on the fuel. This will thereby ensure that if you are doing big mileage, you pay big tax and small mileage small road tax. Government will also save around a huge amount on paying around 1000 civil servants to administer the road tax system (Makes a lot of sense doesn't it!!)

Advertisement