Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me choose a car (again) criteria within

• 05-01-2011 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,220 ✭✭✭✭

So, its time again for the bi annual cyrus help me choose a car thread, this one is a little different however.

I sold my mint e46 m3 before christmas, myself and mrs cyrus are now sharing! (i simply dont need a car for myself at the moment).

At the moment she drives an alfa gt 1.9d, its a nice car but id like to change it.

so end of feb / march time we will be looking about. As she commutes daily to work, the GT will have to be traded in. the budget will be circa €17 - 20k + the GT traded in (so i spose 24-27k? all in maybe)

As it will be her daily driver its important that she likes the car, plus lowish running costs are preferable.

Ideally im looking for something 08 or newer, less than €600 a year to tax, 30mpg or better, coupe or convertible but must have rear seats, and id like something relatively quick. May also consider a 4x4 but cant think of anything that fits the bill?

A further consideration is the recent weather that we have had, i wouldnt be advere to 4wd or quattro.

At the moment im thinking something like:
    Audi TT 2.0TDI Quattro (none of the 2.0TFSI seem to come as quattro?)

BMW e92 320d / 325d / 330d / 325i / 330i - preferbly m sport but id take a well specced SE, realistically speaking a 08 330i m sport coupe would be my ideal car in the criteria ive outlined but scarce over here

Audi A5 - altho only the 1.8t is in budget me thinks :(

VW scirocco 2.0TFSI or TDI?

None of them setting my pants on fair, save maybe a 330i,

anyone got any better suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Laguna coupe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,220 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

depreciation nightmare?

any decent engines in them?

There's a 180hp 2.0 dCi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Does the A5 coupe come in 4 wheel drive? If so that would be my suggestion, but they're prob all rear wheel

Does the A5 coupe come in 4 wheel drive? If so that would be my suggestion, but they're prob all rear wheel

lots of them are front wheel drive, some are quottro, no rwd me thinks

• Advertisement

some are quattro, but the ones that are will prolly be outta budget from a dealer

as roverjames says rest are FWD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Cyrus wrote: »

Audi A5 - altho only the 1.8t is in budget me thinks :(

You dont want a 1.8T, believe me. 3.0tdi quattro would be a different animal altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Pug 407 coupé or Nissan 350Z are about all I can think of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Pug 407 coupé or Nissan 350Z are about all I can think of

Great minds:D

I know it doesnt meet the criteria but they have it a long time and I'm sure a bargain could be had on it too. You'll be stuck with it but if bought at the right price...big car though.

There are bargains to be had importing them too.

I've been eying them up over Christmas

They styling is subjective but they are a big comfy well specced barge and rarity value is nice

• Advertisement

350z is 2 seater and 1500 a year tax

colm_mcm wrote: »
    350z is 2 seater and 1500 a year tax

Missed the 2 seats bit but just saw it re-reading it now :o

As for a 4x4, what about the Mazda CX7 or Munaro (I know tax and running costs are a pain but if the initial purchase price was low it would offset these)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Audi S3 - fast/4WD/comfortable

slightly over budget - but its in a garage, so perhaps room for movement.
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201022198287694

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Volvo C70 T5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Bmw 330i all the way :cool:
    i easily got 32mpg out of my old one and that was the first generation (2005) 258 bhp engine the newer 272 bhp engine has even better economy and they are a great car to drive and they sound fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Laguna coupe?

Great looking car, really want one.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A5/3.0-TDI-/201046200276106/advert?channel=CARS

Milage is kinda high for its age but it wouldnt bother me in a diesel, once it was serviced regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Volvo C70 T5?

Here's two examples on carzone actually:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201049200461130
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200909191995092

The engine in them is a cracker and your girlfriend will love the hardtop folding roof. I think it would be just the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A5/3.0-TDI-/201046200276106/advert?channel=CARS

Milage is kinda high for its age but it wouldnt bother me in a diesel, once it was serviced regularly

Lovely example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Cyrus, can't believe your changing again!

No point going back to a TT, 1.8 A5 would be a dog compared to what your used too. E92 gets my vote, although an Alfa Brera would be worth a look (and might give you a better trade in on the GT)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I dont get the 08+ plus thing, while you will save money on tax, you are going to be driving a crap heap in comparison to what you could be driving and yeah you may be paying more tax, but that will pale in significance to the depreciation. Also bear in mind that pre 08, the top rate of tax was E1550 or so for anything over 3L, now with the emissions based rates, the rates goes to well over E2000. I saw the M3 you sold cyrus and can only imagine how little you got for it in comparison to what you paid for it! You could buy 2 E46 m3's for the cost of an 07 a5 1.8T!

Cyrus, can't believe your changing again!

No point going back to a TT, 1.8 A5 would be a dog compared to what your used too. E92 gets my vote, although an Alfa Brera would be worth a look (and might give you a better trade in on the GT)

Brera not a bad one

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I dont get the 08+ plus thing, while you will save money on tax, you are going to be driving a crap heap in comparison to what you could be driving and yeah you may be paying more tax, but that will pale in significance to the depreciation. Also bear in mind that pre 08, the top rate of tax was E1550 or so for anything over 3L, now with the emissions based rates, the rates goes to well over E2000. I saw the M3 you sold cyrus and can only imagine how little you got for it in comparison to what you paid for it! You could buy 2 E46 m3's for the cost of an 07 a5 1.8T!

M3 cost me very little to own as did the tt before it :) altho I only had the m3 for 3 months!

I'd normally agree with you but it's going to be my wifes car aswell, also a 08 330i is 600 odd to tax ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

The S3 would be a good shout IMO.

Comfortable, quick, back seats, quattro etc.

I'd have one over a TT any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

2.0 TFSI (211PS) 2008- 6-speed manual, multitronic That is pretty impressive.

Advertisement