Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

16k to spend

• 06-10-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi everyone. Im saving for a new car at the moment and will have roughly 16k to spend next march/april give or take a couple of grand.

Im 26 and admittedly looking for something nice/cool etc. I think I skipped a step with my current primera!
    I want something with a bit of pep, but not too boy racer-esque a bit classier, but no crazy 3 litre engine jobs with crippling car tax. I dont do v high mileage each yr so fuel efficiency is not a high priority. Currently thinking along the lines of a BMW 3 series coupe circa 2005. Like the look of the celica. drove a honda accord 2.2tdi recently which really impressed me.
    So guys, any thoughts on the above - how are they to drive? upkeep/maintenance costs? etc or any other suggestions based on what I told you. I have 6 months or so before I have all the cash together so I want to decide soon so I can be on the lookout. thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mullie06

A New shape Accord Euro R? Same engine as the DC5 Integra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€16k gets you alot of car these days and at 26 I would be going with something like this:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200941195414603

The GT is a beautiful car to both drive and look at. The 1.9 JTDM is a gem of an engine and is no slouch. Leave the likes of the Accord for later in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

bazz26 wrote: »
    The GT is a beautiful car to both drive and look at. The 1.9 JTDM is a gem of an engine and is no slouch. Leave the likes of the Accord for later in life.
    Bazz is right, leave the likes of the accord 'till later (i'm a very satisfied mondeo owner, but then again I'm married with a kid on the way).

That GT is damn sexy.

Or how about a Lotus
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Lotus/Elise/111S/200935195022371/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Galmay

thanks for the input guys. Yes, the alfa is a v nice looking car. what are they like to own? dunno anybody with one
    the thing that got my bout the accord was not its styling but the drive, v quick and smooth but yes, i get the feeling it can wait
    the lotus has too much going on looks wise to appeal to me couldnt see myself driving round in one tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

New shape Accord Euro R, amazing engine, quite a lot of poke, it's luxury inside and outside, all business under the bonnet, 2 litre N/A engine.

What more could you want *sighhhhhhhhhhh*

• Advertisement

Galmay wrote: »
    thanks for the input guys. Yes, the alfa is a v nice looking car. what are they like to own? dunno anybody with one
    the thing that got my bout the accord was not its styling but the drive, v quick and smooth but yes, i get the feeling it can wait
    the lotus has too much going on looks wise to appeal to me couldnt see myself driving round in one tbh

There are a few current and previous owners of GTs who frequent this forum and by all accounts nobody has ever had a bad word to say about the GT.

Not wanting bigger engines cuts out a good few cars like M3's etc as they can be got for under 20k.

Something like this Mazda6 MPS should fit what your looking for http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda6/MPS/200939195293089/advert?channel=CARS

They are 4wd as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

You should be able to get a 2.0L Golf GTi (preferably with a DSG box) for that kind of money.
    example:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200937195187743

Alfa GT is beautiful but the GTi would leave a diesel for dead driving-wise. As mileage is low, you don't need a diesel and Golf will hold its value better.

EDIT: nice 3-door GTi
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200927194463845

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Honda s2k.

• Advertisement

While the MkV Golf GTi is a very capable car I just feel it looks too similar to all those thousands of 1.4 Golfs out there.

However, if the OP is considering a Golf GTi then I would also recommend the Skoda Octavia vRS and Focus ST.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Lotus Elise, VX220, S2000!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Hi everyone. Im saving for a new car at the moment and will have roughly 16k to spend next march/april give or take a couple of grand.

Im 26 and admittedly looking for something nice/cool etc. I think I skipped a step with my current primera!
    I want something with a bit of pep, but not too boy racer-esque a bit classier, but no crazy 3 litre engine jobs with crippling car tax. I dont do v high mileage each yr so fuel efficiency is not a high priority. Currently thinking along the lines of a BMW 3 series coupe circa 2005. Like the look of the celica. drove a honda accord 2.2tdi recently which really impressed me.
    So guys, any thoughts on the above - how are they to drive? upkeep/maintenance costs? etc or any other suggestions based on what I told you. I have 6 months or so before I have all the cash together so I want to decide soon so I can be on the lookout. thanks!

Hmmm was going to suggest my 2004 Skyline 350gt untill you said about the crazy 3 litre engine :>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Absurdum wrote: »

+1

Cooper S are brillant, I have only taken the standard Cooper for a spin and it was great fun, Cooper S would be savage I imagine.

I like the Alfa GT as well, but it's a diesel and they still sound terribile, a car as gorgeous as that needs a high revving all go V6, not a noisy turbo diesel.

Me I would get the Mazda 3 MPS because I have a thing for it, its power and price compared to things it can keep up with in a straight line like the EVO X, STI, etc been one of them.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200919192736559

I like the Leon Cupra too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Mazda RX-8?
    Only get taxed on a 1.3 and you get over 200bph.
    Rwd, suicide doors, plenty of toys, ect...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

CianRyan wrote: »
    Mazda RX-8?

Nice, but don't forget about the free warp speed depreciation, and oil thirst comparable to the Exxon Valdiz :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Mazda RX-8?

Actually, they get taxed as a 1.8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Actually, they get taxed as a 1.8.
    was just about to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

15-18mpg on the RX8....... Nearly bought one before I saw that.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Mazda RX-8?
    Nice, but don't forget about the free warp speed depreciation, and oil thirst comparable to the Exxon Valdiz :D

And, they are no where near as fast on a day to day basis as the figures suggest. All the power is high end with little torque. Great for a track where you can keep it in the 6,500rpm + sweet spot (and it does sound sweet), but on roads around the city, a turbo engine will feel much quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

The paint work on the one i listed was a bit gammy to be fair.

Golf GTi, Focus ST, Mazda MPS: all great cars in their own right but as bazz said [about the Golf] they're too like the standard cars. To make them look 'different' you're into boyracer territory.

As for the Alfa GT, there are petrol versions for similar money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Range Rover Commercial. €50 VRT
    Very high car spec. Look's well! New shape.
    You could get a 04-05 Comm for 16k.
    Great Cruiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Theanswers wrote: »
    Range Rover Commercial. €50 VRT
    Very high car spec. Look's well! New shape.
    You could get a 04-05 Comm for 16k.
    Great Cruiser.

****box tho'....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Galmay

Hi guys,
    Mazda RX8 - savage looking car and I know I said fuel efficiency wasnt high on my agenda but 18mpg?! cant justify spending a small fortune on that!
    Mini Cooper S, no doubt great to drive but I see it as a womans car. All the girls at work aspire to one!
    Golf GTi, Focus ST and Mazda MPS - agree they all look v similar to standard cars, but would defo be tempted by the GTi, hadnt realised it was within price range
    Thanks for the suggestion but I think I'll save buying a range rover for when I want to invade a neighbouring country!a tank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Hi guys,
    Mazda RX8 - savage looking car and I know I said fuel efficiency wasnt high on my agenda but 18mpg?! cant justify spending a small fortune on that!
    Mini Cooper S, no doubt great to drive but I see it as a womans car. All the girls at work aspire to one!
    Golf GTi, Focus ST and Mazda MPS - agree they all look v similar to standard cars, but would defo be tempted by the GTi, hadnt realised it was within price range
    Thanks for the suggestion but I think I'll save buying a range rover for when I want to invade a neighbouring country!a tank!

Looking for new home..

n1077978723_395565_8181719.jpg

Advertisement