Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ice hockey places close to Dublin.

Options
  • 23-11-2007 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Does anyone know of any? I want to start doing Ice hockey and Dudalk is too far for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eh no because as far as i know, Dundalk is currently the only permenent ice rink in the country. I believe Cork is expecting one though.
    Its stupid, there is obviously demand since people Queue for ages every Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Cork Rink is fake it is plastic with some lube on it that you can skate on. Destroys your skates

Dundalk and Belfast are the only permanent rinks in Ireland for hockey

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The rink in Dundalk is genuinely something to be proud of, if there was one in Dublin it would clean up.

I did hear talk of one down at the docklands. We need our own waterfront arena thing like Belfast. I do not understand how no enterprising person has built one.

The rink in Dundalk is amazing!

The hockey is great, figure skating schools, Learn to Skate, Learn to Play.

Something there for everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭KevinMc

I know your over on faceoff.ie too but this is a good place to chat about the games too. Good luck tonight and stick to to the dirty hawks LOL

KevinMc wrote: »
    I know your over on faceoff.ie too but this is a good place to chat about the games too. Good luck tonight and stick to to the dirty hawks LOL

Yep thats me Kevin i am on the two it is not hard to find me with the way i spell my name!

Cheers for tonight going to be a tough game as the hawks can fairly hit the puck!

Where you at the ice dome on sat night there at the Hawks match?

Nope i missed that match unfortunately heard it was insane! I am normally at the dome you spot me cause i always wear nfl gear :D

I missed it to. Do you know if the Hawks have actually left the league or still in talks with the IIHA.

Good luck tonight. should be a good match.

• Advertisement

Don't know what they are doing they are a very quiet team in a way you never see them between games!

There was a rumor that the IIHA was looking into the result with them and us but not sure how true that is.

No one really knows what the IIHA is gonna do about this. I think they should have a press release about the incident out by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭akkadian

Does anyone know of any? I want to start doing Ice hockey and Dudalk is too far for me.

My latest invention, though maybe someone already invented it.
    What about ice hurling?

It would be cool. Use the ice hockey format for number of players
    but use hurling sticks and sliotars instad of hockey stick/puck

Only allow goals as there are no posts for points but u could add posts!

I think it would be good craic!

It should at least be meddled with once in a jackass style showcase if nothing else.

akkadian wrote: »
    What about ice hurling?

Love it!!!!

LOL, not sure if the ice hurling would catch on but feel free to give it a try, with Ice skating at the Dundalk Ice dome now i'm sure you could try anything HAHA.

Anyway, in answer to the first post and I'm sure you all know by now anyway that there is a Semi-Permanent facility in Dubin at charlestown shopping sentre, operating learn to skate and learn to play.

Also once the IIHA gets everything finalised it will be the home of the Dublin Rams and Dublin Cubs and the Charlestown chiefs. All these teams need the support of the local communities so please check them out. Also the Rams and the Cubs had open training sessions and there may still be roster spots for any experienced players out there. and volunteers for match day stewarding and match day reporting will also be much appreciated i'm sure.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

What about ice hurling?

The rink in charlstown will give you a session of ice time from about 9:30 to 11ish to try out your idea. Insurance will cover it as long as you have protective gear on. Sounds like it would be a bit of fun alright, id go to watch that myself

KevinMc wrote: »
    Also once the IIHA gets everything finalised it will be the home of the Dublin Rams and Dublin Cubs and the Charlestown chiefs. All these teams need the support of the local communities so please check them out. Also the Rams and the Cubs had open training sessions and there may still be roster spots for any experienced players out there. and volunteers for match day stewarding and match day reporting will also be much appreciated i'm sure.:D

And it will be home to the wolves afaik.. and the signups end this month i think.. dont hold me to that.. Every team in the league needs support fullstop, and everyone but the chiefs have open sessions. At the moment we have a couple from the bulls, rams and wolves training with us, and i've been invited (like most others) to train with the wolves and rams. Infact im training with the rams tonight.. (that makes 5 sessions of hockey in a row for me! :D) At the moment the sport is on its knees, but its the strongest its ever been in this country and its definitly growing.

I coach kids on sunday mornings and what started out with 10 kids is now up to 30 odd kids. Theres also a charity program starting up called 'heroes' which will give under privilaged kids hockey as a platform to develop social, physical and mental skills which should benifit them later in life. Not to mention the learn to play program on thursdays at 4-5 which has a bunch of kids up and the learn to skate on mondays has 60 odd people there. And figureskating aswell.

Its shocking how much interest there is in the sports that an ice rink encompases, i just hope it lasts! Knowing our luck it wont.. but thats up to the community

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

What about ice hurling?

It would be cool. Use the ice hockey format for number of players
    but use hurling sticks and sliotars instad of hockey stick/puck

Only allow goals as there are no posts for points but u could add posts!

I think it would be good craic!

It should at least be meddled with once in a jackass style showcase if nothing else.

There is a sport thats simular to 'ice hurling', its called Bandy. Its played using a round ball and a stick that looks simular to that used in shinty but with a flatter head. Its played on a rectanglar rink about the same size as a football pitch and its also 11 a side. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandy

bandy-ice-hockey-in-sweden-goes-big-in-europe-sport-ice-hockey-sweden-bandy-popularity.jpg

Also a funny myth, which is probably complete bollox.

When the Irish emigrated to North America, specifically Canada, they brought their hurls and sliotars with them. When they got to Canada they realised that they wouldn't be able to play hurling during the winter because of all the snow and ice. So they started using skates in order to be able to take advantage of the ice and play the game they love but this wasn't enough because now the hurls they brought with them were too small to use. So they came up with the idea of a longer stick which became the hockey stick we're familiar with today and as a result created Ice Hockey..

There you go.. We're great

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Afaik someone tried to build a proper full sized rink in Dublin a few years ago but couldn't get planning permission.

I know the guy who is trying to build an indoor ski/snowboard slope out by Blanchardstown keeps getting turned down for planning permission...it's bizarre, Dublin is crying out for these sort of facilities!

eth0_ wrote: »
    Afaik someone tried to build a proper full sized rink in Dublin a few years ago but couldn't get planning permission.

I know the guy who is trying to build an indoor ski/snowboard slope out by Blanchardstown keeps getting turned down for planning permission...it's bizarre, Dublin is crying out for these sort of facilities!

yup.. but the locals give out and then planning is denied... a few years ago we're supposed to be getting a themepark joint owned/designed and operated by alton towers and disney.. it was going to be called Delta City and would have boast the economy but of course the locals complained about it and planning was denied..

this country sometimes

Also your man that wanted to build that skyscaper in ballsbridge wanted a rink to be included but of course.... I don't think I need to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

AFAIK that snow centre wasn't going to be in a residential area... there's one near me outside Glasgow and it's just off a motorway exit in the middle of a vast shopping and recreation centre (Google it, Braehead). Ireland needs something like that. Not Liffey Valley with piddley little temporary rink at christmas.

• Advertisement

carnie wrote: »
    Also a funny myth, which is probably complete bollox.

When the Irish emigrated to North America, specifically Canada, they brought their hurls and sliotars with them. When they got to Canada they realised that they wouldn't be able to play hurling during the winter because of all the snow and ice. So they started using skates in order to be able to take advantage of the ice and play the game they love but this wasn't enough because now the hurls they brought with them were too small to use. So they came up with the idea of a longer stick which became the hockey stick we're familiar with today and as a result created Ice Hockey..

There you go.. We're great

According to wiki, Hurling along with other games like field Hockey etc are where Ice Hockey came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 beradical

hey, was recently told of charlestown on ice, website says they have ice hockey drop ins on monday nights. anyone been?
    http://www.charlestownonice.ie/
    its in the smithfield area of town

**edit... i see it's been discussed already... does anyone here go to it regularly? and what gear do you need? i have gloves, helmet, elbow pads, rest of my gear is still at my folks place in Van. thinkin bout bringin the rest of it home at christmas time, worth it?

Advertisement