Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADVICE NEEDED:Currently pregnant and applying for jobs

• 10-06-2014 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, If anyone can give me advice, insight or past personal experiences I would greatly appreciate it. I am currently teaching 7 years, but as of yet have never had my own hours ie, going from Maternity Leave to Maternity Leave.

I again, this summer, find myself applying for jobs. I have just found out that I am actually 8 weeks pregnant. I am not married but I am engaged and have been for months yet but I am conscious of the stigma attached to unmarried mothers, in particular within the teaching profession. That is one concern heading into interviews.

However, my biggest concern is when to tell the perspective employers; during an interview, upon being offered a job (If I am lucky enough!), or when I am 12 weeks. I am an extremely honest person, sometimes too honest, and I am having sleepless nights worrying about this. I do not want principals to think I am a dishonest person by not revealing this information at the earliest opportunity but I do not want to be disadvantaged. Let's face it, with all the equality laws in the world, it could easily go against me. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I have had this experience
    IMO do the interview without mention of the pregnancy and if you get offered a job cross that bridge when you get to it.
    When are you due? December? You'd still be well able to work away till then so it's not as if you're accepting a job only to leave a principal in the lurch after a few weeks.
    It's not ideal granted but just think, if you got your own hours in a school you instantly gelled with, long term it'd be a minor inconvenience.
    As for the stigma, I had my first before being married and can honestly say I didn't encounter any prejudice

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cosycottager

Thanks 'happywithlife'. I am so anxious this yr to get something where I get my own hours, pay for hols etc. If all comes to all I could apply for maternity leaves that take me to Xmas hols when I myself would be going out on leave. I am not due until January so I would be there until Christmas hols. I have applied for a job in my own Alma Mater and I know the DP and P very well and I just don't want to let them down as such if they were to give me the job!

It may not become an issue for me at all- I might not be offered anything!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

I wouldn't mention it at interview. I wouldn't tell anyone before 12 weeks unless I really had to, and I wouldn't bring up my personal life in an interview situation anyway, its not relevant.

Good luck, would be great to get your own hours and be able to enjoy maternity leave :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I have had this experience
    IMO do the interview without mention of the pregnancy and if you get offered a job cross that bridge when you get to it.
    When are you due? December? You'd still be well able to work away till then so it's not as if you're accepting a job only to leave a principal in the lurch after a few weeks.
    It's not ideal granted but just think, if you got your own hours in a school you instantly gelled with, long term it'd be a minor inconvenience.
    As for the stigma, I had my first before being married and can honestly say I didn't encounter any prejudice

I think there was an extensive thread over a year ago with someone having the exact same experience.. I'll have a dig later as it was fairly extensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭nikinova

Best of Luck OP,

It is really hard in the teaching world...and I agree with everyone saying not to mention you are carrying child unless they ask you that - which would be unethical !!! so no lies told.

Hope all goes well for you!
    N

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi, If anyone can give me advice, insight or past personal experiences I would greatly appreciate it. I am currently teaching 7 years, but as of yet have never had my own hours ie, going from Maternity Leave to Maternity Leave.

I again, this summer, find myself applying for jobs. I have just found out that I am actually 8 weeks pregnant. I am not married but I am engaged and have been for months yet but I am conscious of the stigma attached to unmarried mothers, in particular within the teaching profession. That is one concern heading into interviews.

However, my biggest concern is when to tell the perspective employers; during an interview, upon being offered a job (If I am lucky enough!), or when I am 12 weeks. I am an extremely honest person, sometimes too honest, and I am having sleepless nights worrying about this. I do not want principals to think I am a dishonest person by not revealing this information at the earliest opportunity but I do not want to be disadvantaged. Let's face it, with all the equality laws in the world, it could easily go against me. Thanks

I wouldn't be mentioning it full stop! Anything could happen. When I was pregnant I didn't tell people till after the big scan around 20ish weeks. Schools are not allowed to question you on it either. If you got a career break/your own hours you will get your full wages otherwise it is €230ish per week! IMHO that is a huge difference. My friend is covering in a school (2 job shares) she was due in sept and the union told her not to say anything until she signed the contract.

Armelodie wrote: »
    I think there was an extensive thread over a year ago with someone having the exact same experience.. I'll have a dig later as it was fairly extensive.

here it is ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭doc_17

You're allowed to be pregnant and apply for jobs. You're allowed to keep it to yourself. If you are unsure about anything contactable your union. They will give you advice. But don't be feeling in any way that you are doing something wrong in applying for jobs

nikinova wrote: »
    Best of Luck OP,

It is really hard in the teaching world...and I agree with everyone saying not to mention you are carrying child unless they ask you that - which would be unethical !!! so no lies told.

Hope all goes well for you!
    N

How do you mean.. It would be unethical to ask... or it would be unethical to withhold that you are pregnant?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭khan86

Armelodie wrote: »
    How do you mean.. It would be unethical to ask... or it would be unethical to withhold that you are pregnant?

Unethical to ask...AFAIK you can't be asked in an interview or really at anytime during your employment if you are pregnant but you do have to give the employer the standard notice of when you intend to take maternity leave to allow them to advertise for a sub to replace you while out on leave.

On another note, are you entitled to get full maternity pay on your own hours without a CID? I thought this was only possible when you got a CID?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

khan86 wrote: »
    Unethical to ask...AFAIK you can't be asked in an interview or really at anytime during your employment if you are pregnant but you do have to give the employer the standard notice of when you intend to take maternity leave to allow them to advertise for a sub to replace you while out on leave.

On another note, are you entitled to get full maternity pay on your own hours without a CID? I thought this was only possible when you got a CID?

No you don't need a CID. If you have a contract that you get paid all year round you get full pay until contract ends (but hopefully it would be renewed!) OP if it is such a contract then count 26 weeks backwards from last day of school, it's probably the start of dec. otherwise if you have a contract eg sick/mat leave try to work as close to due date as possible (you have to go 2 weeks before due date) as you only get the state mat benefit.

Advertisement