Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SPECIAL OFFER: Discounted Tickets for Joseph

Options
  • 07-08-2014 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Ticketmaster email. Looks like the theatre are seriously struggling to put bums on seats this summer. I'm not a Joseph fan, should have stayed the 30 minute school show as it was written IMO but if you've got kids or like cheese...enjoy!
    Purchase a top price ticket for just €20 euro that would normally cost €45.00

Purchase a family ticket (two adults and two children) for just €70.00 that would normally cost €180.00
    One of the most popular musicals of all time Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat opens next week at The Bord Gais Energy Theatre. Having garnered sensational reviews, Bill Kenwright’s production of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s sparkling family musical Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat will run until Saturday 23 August.

The show will star X Factor finalist, Lloyd Daniels in the title role in the UKs longest running musical. Joining him is Danielle Hope in the role of the Narrator. She captured the nation’s hearts when she won the BBC’s Over the Rainbow and made her professional debut as Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz and then Eponine in Les Misérables in London’s West End. Matt Lapinskas will play Pharaoh in his first musical theatre role. Famed for playing Anthony Moon in BBC1’s EastEnders, Matt was also a finalist in the penultimate series of Dancing on Ice.

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is the perfect treat for all the family! This colourful retelling of the biblical story about Joseph, his eleven brothers and the coat of many colours sings out to young and old alike with a score which is crammed wall to wall with hits – including Jacob and Sons, Close Every Door and Any Dream Will Do.

And to celebrate we are offering you an exclusive discounts across all shows from Tuesday 12 to Saturday 16 August.

Purchase one ticket for just €20.00 that would normally cost €45.00

Purchase a FAMILY TICKET for just €70.00 that would normally cost €180.00 ( This applies to two adults and two children 16 or under)

Please note tickets are limited for each performance so BOOK NOW to avoid disappointment!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Not a surprise. Unless it's a massive show like Lion King or Wicked, the GCT is always going to struggle to get seats filled. Their prices are too high, they don't offer discounts on the day. €180 for a family ticket + Ticketmaster's outrageous service charges is outside of many families' budgets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I saw this before in London years back... I wasn't overly impressed to be honest :P I thought it was a bit off the wall! I do enjoy the music though... so may take advantage of the cheap tickets :) I figure it's probably best to just go for the cheapest tickets though... from the sounds of it they may end up upgrading everyone anyway?!

woodchuck wrote: »
    I saw this before in London years back... I wasn't overly impressed to be honest :P I thought it was a bit off the wall! I do enjoy the music though... so may take advantage of the cheap tickets :) I figure it's probably best to just go for the cheapest tickets though... from the sounds of it they may end up upgrading everyone anyway?!

The deed is done :o:D

Joseph is a fun show. Worth forking out €20 for. Not €45 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Has anyone seen this yet? I'm going on Saturday night.

• Advertisement

tomboylady wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this yet? I'm going on Saturday night.

Yeah I saw it last week with my discount tickets :P

It was... well.. bizarre :) But no less bizarre than I remebered! I think it's one of those ones you have to take with a pinch of salt and just go to have a good time and not take it too seriously :P

It obviously hadn't sold well though (maybe partially because it was mid-week, not sure), the upper circle was about a quarter full and they moved everyone into the first few rows. Personally I decided to stay a bit further back though... I love it when there's nobody sitting in front of me :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love that too- especially because I'm such a shortarse!! :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    I love that too- especially because I'm such a shortarse!! :pac:

Haha me too :D It's the best thing ever when nobody is sitting in front of you!!

Not surprised it's not selling. People haven't the money to be paying those prices. They really need to be a bit more creative with their ticket selling to get more people in. What's profitable about having a load of empty seats?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    Not surprised it's not selling. People haven't the money to be paying those prices. They really need to be a bit more creative with their ticket selling to get more people in. What's profitable about having a load of empty seats?

Nothing, that's what the BGT is hemorrhaging money, they seriously need to revalue their ticket prices!

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    Nothing, that's what the BGT is hemorrhaging money, they seriously need to revalue their ticket prices!

In fairness, for the more popular shows I've gone to there they've had a pretty full house.

But I agree that situations where the tickets aren't selling well they should have more offers like this to fill the empty seats. It looks like they're starting to do that for some shows at least with groupon deals etc (although I'd be kicking myself if I'd paid full price and then they were selling them half price to everyone else!)

The only 3 I can think of right now that have been massive sellers for them are The Lion King, Wicked and Phantom. The only upcoming show that may possibly sell really well for them is Shrek.

Otherwise a lot of the time the place is pretty empty, upper levels are closed off (good way to get a free upgrade though especially for mid-week matinees).

Yeah, I think part of the problem is that these places seem to be run by people with no real understanding or passion for theatre, it's no surprise that the GCT is haemorrhaging money.

The only 3 I can think of right now that have been massive sellers for them are The Lion King, Wicked and Phantom. The only upcoming show that may possibly sell really well for them is Shrek.

Otherwise a lot of the time the place is pretty empty, upper levels are closed off (good way to get a free upgrade though especially for mid-week matinees).

Yeah, I think part of the problem is that these places seem to be run by people with no real understanding or passion for theatre, it's no surprise that the GCT is haemorrhaging money.

I don't know, I've also been to dirty dancing, warhorse, Derren Brown, Pixar in concert, fiddler on the roof, showboat and swan lake there this year (and those are just off the top of my head... I may have a problem :o Oh and Singing in the Rain :D That was awesome... sorry, getting a little side tracked :o) and the shows I were at seemed pretty full! I'm not saying they were all sold out, but I can see how they'd make money off of them. The only ones I've been to that had a poor turn out so far was Joseph and the three phantoms (everybody was upgraded to the stalls for that one... for an evening performance... including selling cheap groupon tickets :/).

I know nothing at all about whether or not they are actually hemorrhaging money though!? I would've thought they rake it in tbh.

But to reiterate... I think they should have more ticket offers :P As you said, it makes sense to sell off tickets on the cheap at the last minute rather than have seats going empty!

Oh yeah, forgot about SITR and War Horse!

Didn't the GCT go into receivership recently?

Seems you may be right :/

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/bord-gais-theatre-takes-centre-stage-274882.html

What does that mean though... they're not gonna take away my musicals are they!? :P

Everything continues as normal as far as I know. It's been taken over by NAMA who will sell it to the highest bidder, probably an international investment company, possibly an organisation like Live Nation or Ambassador Theatres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Went to see this today at Cork Opera House and I felt so bad for the cast. The dress circle wasn't even open,it was just the stalls and they were only about a third full,at most. Rows & rows of empty seats. Don't know why coz it was a great show,really entertaining & the two leads (Lloyd Daniels & Danielle Hope) were phenomenal. Highly recommended.

Did they have any offers on to sell off the seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Did they have any offers on to sell off the seats?

No,not that I know of. Crazy to leave so many empty seats & make nothing from them rather than discount them. In fairness to the cast they still gave a 100% performance & it was very professional but it must've been disheartening for them,like performing in a community centre,such was the size of the audience.

Advertisement