Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diverbo.com, any first-hand experiences?

Options
  • 16-12-2013 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi
    Has anyone any experience (good or bad) with this Teen Volunteer Summer Camp? My niece has come across it in a Teen Magazine and wants to take part as a native english speaker volunteering to teach spanish teens over 2 weeks in the summer.
    Any first-hand pointers/advice/experience would be great to pass on to my sis, her mum.
    Thanks
    T

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Victoria Fortescue

I had to look up the website to find out what you meant, but I must say it looks very good. I've a child heading for first year next year, and he's keen on Spanish. I think I'll ask him if he'd like to do it. Growing up I was always envious of the Spanish students when they came over here :o I have had students stay over in my home over several summers, and I can see how the experience would really help them with their English.

Sorry I don't have anything first hand, I just thought I'd chime in and say I think it's worth thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I worked for diverbo as a camp monitor last summer at the teen camps and I say go for it. The kids are safe and well looked after, they all have a great time and make international friends for life. There were lots of tears on the last day and memories that will last a life time. I would highly recommend it for any teen, it's really good to give them a sense of independence (within a controlled environment) and to be around new and different kinds of people. There are no labels, no one knows them or judges them and everyones in the same boat. It's amazing to see the change in each of them from the first day to the last they really come out of them selfs and develop fantastic social skills. I only wish I knew about it at that age .. Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Hi tripzy,

Did you find out any more since? My daughter is 15 and is interested too...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I did the diverbo course last year and honestly it was one of the best experience Of my life. I met loads of people that i have formed lasting friendships from. I would highly recommend it and I'll be heading back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mitch444

My 16 year old daughter would like to volunteer. However, I am concerned that this sounds too good to be true. There are two locations that they offer for teens – Aldeaduero or La Alberca. Are there recommendations as to which one to pick? Also, have you heard any negative comments about the teen program? Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I did the diverbo course last year and honestly it was one of the best experience Of my life. I met loads of people that i have formed lasting friendships from. I would highly recommend it and I'll be heading back next year

My daughter is flying to Madrid. Wondering did you fly out on your own? She is meeting her friend in Madrid but just concerned about her travelling the first time on her own.

Advertisement