Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 year old behaving like a 2 year old

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Op, you said that your daughter recently finished her degree and started a fas course. If this behaviour coincided with the transition I think following advise such as throwing her out and other threats are fruitless at the very least and possibly damaging.

She probably worked very hard in college for the past 3/4 years and now is doing a fas course. Her college degree may have had more structure and had more people with similar interests, age etc to your daughter. This recent transition obviously is impacting your child mental health (maybe anxiety and/ or depression.). Although she still goes out and meet her friends etc her mood and behaviour at home has changed quiet a bit. Thus is often the first signs of mental health difficulties.

In my opinion I believe she needs to know that she has support and that she is loved. This is a time of uncertatainity in her life , adult or not, that can be difficult for a lot of people.

Be thankful that she is not out doing drugs or driniking excessively and that all she is doing is not tidying her room and housework.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Op's child is quite clearly suffering from depression. So she needs to act appropriately.

That said it's also clear the OP doesn't not think her child is an adult and is the source and enabler of her behaviour.

As someone who is all to familiar with depression, How the OP is acting with her daughter is making her feel worse about herself and her life situation and 'getting tough' with her is not the right course of action if she wants to help her child get out of the horrible personal funk she is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

Op's child is quite clearly suffering from depression. So she needs to act appropriately.

That said it's also clear the OP doesn't not think her child is an adult and is the source and enabler of her behaviour.

As someone who is all to familiar with depression, How the OP is acting with her daughter is making her feel worse about herself and her life situation and 'getting tough' with her is not the right course of action if she wants to help her child get out of the horrible personal funk she is in.

I know an answer may seem to jump off the page here but I think we need to be careful of "diagnosis via internet" . "Clearly", may or may not be clearly in reality, it may be any number of mental health issues or indeed none, just a difficult life situation.

I know we are asked our opinions and its nice to point to where an issue might be, but the "clearly" bit gets me. So how about perhaps??! As for not seeing your child as an adult, well I guess that's often an issue for parents in their 80's, your children are your children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I know an answer may seem to jump off the page here but I think we need to be careful of "diagnosis via internet" . "Clearly", may or may not be clearly in reality, it may be any number of mental health issues or indeed none, just a difficult life situation.

Clearly a mental helth issue which has pretty much a lot of the hallmarks of depression. If anyone ever asks about how out of tune the Irish are to the symptoms of mental health issues and the absolutely worst way to deal with someone who is having these issues, direct them to the nightmare of bad advice that is this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Clearly a mental helth issue which has pretty much a lot of the hallmarks of depression. If anyone ever asks about how out of tune the Irish are to the symptoms of mental health issues and the absolutely worst way to deal with someone who is having these issues, direct them to the nightmare of bad advice that is this thread.

possibly and perhaps are certainly the words to use here. Ignorant of mental health issues is someone who chooses to speak about such issues in definites. dis regarding the fact that we're forming opinions based on a couple of forum paragraphs, teenagers and young adults often display behaviour inline with a whole host of mental illnesses when more often than not it is just a product of changing life stages and hormones, slapping a label on such people will do them more harm than good in this case. 'pretty much a lot ' is a gross overstatement here ( for starters the symptoms are only observed in one confined context) , if any thing, from whats written here, the most you can ddfinitively say is the girl is unhappy and/ or lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If your 22 year old girl is showing a complete lack of respect for you and taking everything you do for her for granted, then she needs to move out and mature on her own.

Maturity comes with living independently and experiencing the world for oneself. It does nobody any good to pander to poor behaviour and it can be really damaging to make allowances for bad behaviour

If she is depressed, it could be because she's isolating herself. The isolation could be causing the depression and it could be a vicious circle. A change in scenery and moving onto a new adult phase in her life could be the spark that brings her out of depression. A parent can do more harm than good by trying to protect their kids from life. You raised her for 22 years, she needs to go out and make her own way in the world. You can wish her well and support her emotionally and even financially at the start, but you can't live her life for her.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It's time to make a rota.

Explain to your daughter that she has become an intolerable house guest and if things do not change, she will have to move out within 2 months.

Put her on the household rota of cooking, cleaning and laundry, with a once-weekly cleaning of her room a given.

Ask for €75 a week for rent, food and bills.

If she won't agree, get rid of broadband and refuse to do anything or pay for anything for her (including food) and see how long it takes for her to move out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Just a bit of sleuthing has revealed the OP's daughter is starting a course in nursing and is moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    This has been suggested earlier. Can you suggest how she can pay rent while on a FAS course?

Get a job? The rent is her problem, not her parents' problem. This sort of "I have to kiss my kids' ass" thinking is the cause of the behavior.

Advertisement