Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends

Options
  • 28-04-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm upset for my daughter as her so called friends treat her so badly! They no longer ask her on night's out unless they need a driver and constantly make excuses as to why they didn't tell her they were going etc. It's so blatant is crazy and it's really beginning to affect her.
    She is very pretty but could do with loosing a few lbs but I know she's stressed about these friends and why her social life is so bad! As a mum is very had to know how I can help. I really thought this kind of think ended in primary! I know everyone says join a club etc. and make new friends but it's difficult to do that on your own so it's kind of a vicious circle!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

PI is a forum for posters to get advice on issues THEY are experiencing. As you are looking for advice regarding your daughter from a parenting perspective, think you'll get better advice here.

All the best. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Its very annoying my sister was in the very same position, even to a point that they organised a night out for her birthday n went out without her, it was very upsetting for my sister, and my poor mam was up in arms over it

I dont think you can do anything about her friends, she has to learn her own way, my sister eventually did, just be there for her n listen to her moan ect, she will see they are wring for her eventually and she will find her way

as for loosing a few lbs dont ever say it to her, but maybe ask her to go for walks or maybe some mammy daughter bonding in water aerobics i used to love doing it with my mam, n the weight fell off ;)

And finally try not to stress your self out my poor mam does be up the walls over my sister, but i keep saying to her she has to let her fend for her self or she will never learn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

agree with the above poster. maybe if yr daughter suddenly got " new friends" in other words told these madams that she is going to dublin to see x y z and cannot drive them stop making herself available to them. they might show more respect. praise your daughter but also get her to join a gym where she meet other people

• Registered Users Posts: 13 murphyahp

Thanks for replies...it's a relief to know she's not the only one. I'll try to encourage her. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭shnburn

murphyahp wrote: »
    I'm upset for my daughter as her so called friends treat her so badly! They no longer ask her on night's out unless they need a driver and constantly make excuses as to why they didn't tell her they were going etc. It's so blatant is crazy and it's really beginning to affect her.
    She is very pretty but could do with loosing a few lbs but I know she's stressed about these friends and why her social life is so bad! As a mum is very had to know how I can help. I really thought this kind of think ended in primary! I know everyone says join a club etc. and make new friends but it's difficult to do that on your own so it's kind of a vicious circle!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:(

Iv same problem trying to make new friends not easy at all

• Advertisement

Everyone one says join a club...but it's not easy to join on your own! I think it does fall into place eventually though if you stay confident and believe you are worth it. Still trying to encourage my girl.

Everyone one says join a club...but it's not easy to join on your own! I think it does fall into place eventually though if you stay confident and believe you are worth it. Still trying to encourage my girl.

Iv tried joining clubs dont help there mostly sports clubs around where i live not much good to me with a bad knee

Yeah I know, everything revolves either around sport or drink! Have you any interest in helping with underage teams maybe or volunteering?

Yeah I know, everything revolves either around sport or drink! Have you any interest in helping with underage teams maybe or volunteering?

Im in fas at the moment an have bit of a problem with mixing with people so that dont help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Poor kid, I know the feeling tho :(
    Why not join a zumba class together for the laugh? It's get craic and ye will both have a laugh. Friends like hers will come and go but if she gets a boost fo confidence she might be able to build up her self esteem and not stand up for that. It takes time. When I was 19 a group of friends went off for a summer to Cyprus together and only told me few weeks before they left. I was distraught, embarrassed really (still am a bit!) as I hadnt known what I was doing for them not to want me there :( I took a hit, but joined dance club and had a a laugh for myself and that helped.

• Advertisement

That's a great idea..thanks.

That's a great idea..thanks.

Best of luck with your daughter dont let her get usto being alone like i have

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lazerwolf

I think joining a club is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What age is she? Is she's driving she must be at least 17 so assuming she's in her last year in secondary school? If so she should just ignore them and wait till she goes to college and she'll have forgotten all about those 'friends' I know that's what I did at that age.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement